The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 15, 2013, 04:15 PM   #51
Leejack

DA on my latest M85 is very good, SA is ridiculously sweet. Love .38 Special.

Old October 15, 2013, 07:59 PM   #52
rodfac

45long, I know what you mean...I'm especially fond of that old M36 with it's early flat black finish...I've cruised a lot of miles wearing it, and fished some pretty rough water as well. It's killed a cpl of snakes, put down a doe that was hit by a car, and still shoots great groups...but that M60 caught my eye and it's off to the races all over again. For pocket use, they're just too heavy (the M60 as shown, loaded, weighs 27 oz. on my postal scale), a pretty big sag in anyone's pocket, but real comfy in a well fitted OWB holster. Best Regards, and thanks for the sentiment. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old October 16, 2013, 03:05 AM   #53
GM2

My .38 Special's are S&W : Model 60 - Model 36 - Model 64. all are great shooters.

Being as I was born in 1938 guess I'm a 38 special myself.
Old October 16, 2013, 05:53 AM   #54
Don w

I have a S&W model ten my grandpa gave me. In my opinion it great carry pistol and range gun lotta fun with this ole girl
Old October 18, 2013, 08:11 PM   #55
Nick_C_S

Quote:
I shoot the Speer 135-gr. Gold Dot +P HP out of my S&W 042.
^^ That's the ammo I have in my 686 3" for home defense ^^

I only have one .38 Special gun - a Smith model 60 from 1984. Good little piece. I'm a good shot. But accuracy with the little guy escapes me (it's me, not the gun).

But I digress:

I like the .38 Special round - whether being shot from a 38 or 357. On paper, it's ballistically inferior to the 9mm, but in reality, it's superior. One thing that is rarely factored in is bullet profile. 38 designs don't have to compromise a reliable expansion profile to ensure reliable feeding, like with 9mm's.

I'm not knocking the 9mm. I'm just saying that what's on paper, doesn't tell the whole story.
Old October 18, 2013, 10:32 PM   #56
marv

Ballistics aside, I find myself to be more accurate with a DAO .38 special than with a DAO .380 ACP. And that counts for something IMHO.
Old October 19, 2013, 11:37 AM   #57
johnjohn

I have a model 15-2 I bought from the original owner in about 1965. He just had to have a Colt Python. He got rid of the Python years ago, I still have the Smith.