The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 16, 2000, 03:25 PM   #1
Tom B

I have been here on this forum for awhile. Heck I even remember on the handguns forum when we would go days without a new post. How about some comments from some of the old timers here about some funny moments or other fond memories here on TFL. Also some members lost/gone memories.
Old November 16, 2000, 03:40 PM   #2
freedomlover

The very best of the "good old days" was when Gale McMillan would enlighten us with his wisdom and anecdotes. I never met Gale personally, but was fortunate to have been able to ask him questions via TFL. I also remember when Randy Garrett would visit us from time to time, haven't seen him around here lately...

With all the new arrivals around here, it's a different place--and while TFL's growth and popularity are good things, I miss the old family atmosphere.

freedomlover

------------------
Sic semper tyrannis

Old November 16, 2000, 03:46 PM   #3
Tom B

Can someone tell us who our most senior still active poster is here. Non-moderator/non-admin.
Old November 16, 2000, 04:07 PM   #4
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

I don't go back quite that far....but I remember when Oleg was "Cornered Rat." I also remember the day he said he was too optimistic and too happy in his life to go by that name anymore, and became just plain "Oleg."

I remember when Miss Demeanors was afraid of guns and, I think, of TFL members as well, at least a little bit.

I remember when SVT became ArmySon. I also remember the general blizzard of name changes around that time, including mine.

I remember how everyone thought I was a woman because my handle was "Gwinnydapooh."

Old November 16, 2000, 04:59 PM   #5
ModIMark0

I remember when George Hill was Kodiak.
I also recall the notice members made when the number of registered posters on TFL was '1911' (although by the time I had read it, there were 1917 members, but that number is special too/'two' in the world of firearms).

Old November 16, 2000, 05:07 PM   #6
Bogie

Well, I'm fairly recent here, but I've always been known as either bogie or cosmic charlie... Was active in the old days on fidonet, etc... This is one of the more literate places in which to relax.

I think the most flattered I've ever felt was a coupla months ago when I was sitting on one of the benches at the St. Louis Benchrest Club, and Walt Berger started talking with me about the wind conditions at the range... And I hope to some day cook up my own "fat mac" wildcat.

Old November 16, 2000, 05:11 PM   #7
mussi

Never joined the ranks of the FIREARMS echo on fidonet since we
couldn't get a working connect over in good' ole Europe. OTOH, I still
run a FidoNet node.

Anybody brave enough will have an Argus or binkp mailer point to
snoop.alphanet.ch and try it out.
Old November 16, 2000, 05:15 PM   #8
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tom B:
Can someone tell us who our most senior still active poster is here. Non-moderator/non-admin.[/quote]

If you are asking about 'senior' in terms of date registered, I think that could be RAE, aka Hal. Could also be one or two others, but he has been here from the start.

If you are asking about 'senior' in terms of age, I think you are asking for trouble.
Old November 16, 2000, 05:18 PM   #9
Correia

I remember when Rich had a contest to see who could get the most new members to join in a month, the winner got either a surefire light or a knife (can't remember the make) I think that Kodiak won.

I joined to jump in on an argument between Rob and GRD about the use of Swat teams.

That was when there was something like 200 or so members.
Old November 16, 2000, 05:18 PM   #10
Dave R

I'm one of the newby's--hopefully not part of the problem--been here around a year and really enjoy it. TFL has helped me through 3 firearms purchases and several firearms-related "puzzlers".

I enjoy most everything. Lots of good content, firearms related and otherwise.

Special fondness for FUD-files, Lawdog tales, pretty much anything Art says...

[This message has been edited by Dave R (edited November 16, 2000).]
Old November 16, 2000, 06:21 PM   #11
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Trivia:
First non-Staff Registration goes to Rob. He only became Staff after I realized we needed to keep a close eye on him.

Contest winnners....they were all Kodiac...even if he needed to cheat.

Most posts: Kodiac (George Hill) at 6504

Most Posts by a Member: Jeff Thomas at 3359

Biggest Pain in the Butt: Tie between Mykl and the original Cornered Rat.

Toughest time: October 10, 1998...the Staff stood around on the front porch of a Memberless edifice watching all the cars go by without stopping.

Best time: October 10, 1998 at 11:04 AM...the Shiner Truck showed up.

Happiest Day: When we learned that LawDog was coming out of the hospital

Scariest Day: When we learned that Grayfox had been rushed to the hospital.

Saddest Day: Gale's Death

Most Promising day: Yesterday.
Rich
Old November 16, 2000, 07:02 PM   #12
Morgan

Ahhh... October 1998. I was a young man sick of Shooter's Talk and their constant server problems and flame wars, eager for information and camaraderie.

The best times? There have been some enlightening discussions on firearms, philosophy, and politics, but the best would have to be the friends I've made and met...

Coinneach, Dave, Oleg, Rob, Adam... The list goes on. These are all great men I'd never have met were it not for TFL.

I can't wait to meet a few more of you guys (and gals) in the future.
Old November 16, 2000, 07:05 PM   #13
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Oh Man... I'm never going to live that contest down.

And that wasnt a cheat.
I just improvised.
Old November 17, 2000, 05:37 AM   #14
deanf

Rosie O'Donnell brought me here. No - really.

My friends and I here at work spent a lot of time at the rosie boards in their heyday. Rich or one of the other TFL founders was a regular poster there. While browsing profiles, I discovered this thing called The Firing Line . . . .
Old November 17, 2000, 06:33 AM   #15
The Scandinavian

Anybody know what happened to Dakotalawdog? I remember he made a vast number of posts a couple of years back.

...TS
Old November 17, 2000, 06:45 AM   #16
Jessica Wellman

I don't remember everything in Rich's list but I do recall quite a bit of it! (Member for the last 1 year, 4 months).

TFL has helped me come a long way in the last year!!! Thank you to the Staff and Administrators for all you do.

I remember when Dennis used to post a lot more than he does now. I always enjoyed his writing skills.

I vote for Mykl being the biggest pain in the rump.
Old November 17, 2000, 07:21 AM   #17
Tom B

TS - You can find The Dog over at Unitedforums.com on the Ruger Forum. His truck broke down over there and he has been hanging around doing day work until its fixed.
Old November 17, 2000, 05:13 PM   #18
Miss Demeanors

:)

I remember quite a few of those. I miss Gale's posts as well. I do remember people calling Gwinny a girl and ok I admit, you people made me really nervous when I first got here, and yes I *gasp* hated guns....I am not sure what happened, but now I like everyone and LOVE guns I also remember Rich on the radio show
Old November 17, 2000, 08:02 PM   #19
Jim V

I remember being here with less than 500 members, when the membership hit that number, then 600 and then again 1,000 there was dancing in the streets. I remember when we were begged to post anything (welllll, just about anything) so there was some traffic here. I remember Oleg as CR and George as Kodiak and Jim V as Jim V . The discussions on jeans, chili, fish tacos, barbecue, and other esoteric stuff.
Old November 17, 2000, 08:17 PM   #20
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

I remember those Fish Tacos... That was also the time when I realized DC was a woman!
Old November 17, 2000, 10:13 PM   #21
Hal

"Best time: October 10, 1998 at 11:04 AM...the Shiner Truck showed up."

Free beer has always been a weakness of mine.

The Blues Man,
Dave,
Thanks for the recognition, but there are 4 others ahead of me in the still active roster, and about a dozen or so that beat me here by a few days.

As far as the early days go, THESE, are the good old days.
Old November 17, 2000, 10:13 PM   #22
chink

I remember when i first got here.
made me feel better about the AR i just purchased. That was Before AR15.com was down for a long time. Before the first of like 3 server migrations.

But, one thing that hasn't changed is that when you need information, you can get it here with minimal BS. I

hel, help, I'm being repressed
Old November 18, 2000, 10:49 PM   #23
Daryl Waldron

WOW!!! I recall most of that stuff. Maybe i shoud start posting more..... naaaaaa I am the shy type.
Old November 19, 2000, 01:46 AM   #24
SarcasmGuy

Ditto on that swamprat..........I know I don't post much......but damn!.........I guess I've been standing in the corner for quite a while .
Old November 19, 2000, 07:29 AM   #25
Bruce in West Oz

Yeah, I remember .... can't tell how many were on TFL then, but there were only a coupla dozen regular posters.

I remember when I found out DC was a woman .. and a lady to boot. I felt very ... protective ... about that lady. (Still do.)

I remember CR and Kodiak, and nearly falling off my chair when I saw the first photo of "Gwinnydapooh"!! NOTHING like I'd visualised.

Miss D and ladyDeeJ .. I remember when you joined.

I remember when Rich had time to actually join in discussions, not just stress about the system.

I remember Rob going off on his new adventure.

I remember, unashamedly, getting misty eyed at Dennis's writings.

And Hank and Jim and Mike and ... Oh, you all know who you are.

We used to talk about shooting, and why we shot, and who influenced us, and food and wine and fishing and food and wine and hunting and food and wine and guns and food and wine ... you get the picture.

I remember the personal tragedies -- the sick children, wives, husbands, lovers -- and the feeling in my heart when these pages overflowed with letters of support.

I remember, too, a certain Aussie who hung around here for literally weeks before posting, because he was so unsure of the reaction an "outsider" might get -- and who was 'blown away' by the welcome he received and has continued to receive.

I remember "wood and metal" and "the wall".

I remember I found out members were white and black and Asian, Jewish and Protestant and Catholic and agnostic, Republican and Democrat and Independent, rich and poor, able and non-able, well-educated and self-taught, even, once, gay -- and you know what? It didn't matter a damn because were were all family!

I remember joining because the language was moderated, the topics universal, the debate always reasoned and, as Rich has said, the only road taken was "the high road".

I'm proud to consider myself an oldie, and an "adopted" family member.

I hope TFL goes from strength to strength -- in friendship.

B

Oh, yeah -- I also remember when I first joined I was "Bruce from West Oz". "Bruce in West Oz" became my current handle by mistake a few months later -- so I've actually been here longer than the record shows.