The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 3, 2009, 10:12 PM   #1
Newton24b

cartridge conversion cylinders and you

are these cylinders and reproduction cartridge guns being given the original chambers and bore dimensions as intended for the calibers in the 1800s? In other words, does the new made 44 colt or 38 colt cartridge gun come designed for the original heeled bullet?

-Does anyone use the original heeled bullet in 44 colt and 38 colt? I ask because the molds are available, ive seen the correct bullets online now and then, so are they used?
-Does everyone here enjoy paying 60 dollars for 50 rounds of what is basically 44 spcl and 38 spcl with a hollow base bullet and an antigue head stamp?
-whats the normal amount of time and effort to install a new cylinder, wether bp or cartridge in your gun?
Old July 3, 2009, 11:12 PM   #2
CraigC

Far as I know, the current factory .38 and .44Colt loads use standard inside lubed .358" and .430" cast bullets suitable for the .38 and .44Specials. The guns they're intended for, cartridge conversions, utilize standard .357" and .429" barrels. All the drop-in conversion cylinders for .44 percussion pistols chamber .45Colt so they already have the proper bore dimensions. Percussion .36 owners are stuck loading their own with heeled bullets. Unless I'm completely mistaken.
Old July 6, 2009, 04:11 PM   #3
CaptainCrossman

my replies in bold

Quote:
are these cylinders and reproduction cartridge guns being given the original chambers and bore dimensions as intended for the calibers in the 1800s? In other words, does the new made 44 colt or 38 colt cartridge gun come designed for the original heeled bullet?

NO for the most part they aren't. The original 36 caliber conversions, fired .375" heeled bullet. The new Navy conversions, fire 38 Special cowboy ammo .357" bellet

-Does anyone use the original heeled bullet in 44 colt and 38 colt? I ask because the molds are available, ive seen the correct bullets online now and then, so are they used?

I have converted a 36 cal. Navy Colt to 38 special and got very good accuracy with wadcutters- a hollow base wadcutter will expand and grab the rifling- the downside of cartridge conversions is, this one seems to lead the barrel quickly at the throat and about 1/4 the way down.

-Does everyone here enjoy paying 60 dollars for 50 rounds of what is basically 44 spcl and 38 spcl with a hollow base bullet and an antigue head stamp?

hell no- that is just stupid money for ammo. Let's face it, when it gets to $1 a shot, that kinda takes the fun out of it. Shoot modern ammo that is affordable.

-whats the normal amount of time and effort to install a new cylinder, wether bp or cartridge in your gun?
the one I converted took up all my spare time over 3 days, maybe 3 or 4 hours altogether, to get it right. The cylinder had to be turned, frame relieved to accept cylinder. I converted a true cap/ball blackpowder Navy frame, that required changing the hand, grinding the hand channel for new hand, welding in recoil plate, fitting firing pin to hammer, and machining cylinder to fit. I also had to file the barrel to clear the gas check ring on cylinder I was using, but this was a custom conversion, not a "drop in" or "gated" conversion. In the end I did the conversion for about $115. The gated/drop ins just cost too much, better off buying a complete conversion gun rather than pay that money