The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 8, 2002, 05:20 PM   #1
Shawn Dodson

Buying an RCBS Pro-2000 Press, What Else Do I Need?

I'm finally in a financial situation to allow me to upgrade from my single stage RCBS Reloader Special to a progressive press. After examining all my options I've decided to go with the RCBS Pro-2000.

I'm planning to purchase the press only, from Cabelas, for $333, which includes shipping, which is the least expensive source I've been able to locate.

I realize I'll also have to order the APS Primer Strip Loader and strips or the Tube Priming Conversion Kit.

I already have the dies I need.

My question to all the other Pro-2000 owners out there is: What accessories do I need to purchase in addition to the press? For example, do I need to purchase a star wheel and shell plate separately in order to use the press?

Thanks!

Last edited by Shawn Dodson; November 8, 2002 at 05:42 PM.
Old November 8, 2002, 05:44 PM   #2
Bill Adair

Shawn,

Congratulations!

Give RCBS a call on their toll free number 1-800-533-5000. They can tell you exactly what you need to get started, if you tell them what calibers you wish to reload.

The strip loader and some empty primer strips come with the press, so you won't have to buy those. They offer a tube priming system at extra cost, but I can't imagine why anyone would want to regress to tube priming.

The 2000 would also be my choice for a progressive, and I hope to own one some day.

Bill
Old November 8, 2002, 05:49 PM   #3
Frohickey

The RCBS Pro 2000 is a good press. I would buy the kit.

You want the powder measure with the press activated thing.

For each caliber that you do, I would order a star wheel, a shell plate and the shell holder.

That is about all you need.

Oh, get the powder baffle too. Or, you can make one of your own from a thin sheet of aluminum.

SigSauer, if you are listening, MAKE A DOUBLE-STACK 10mm PISTOL!
Old November 8, 2002, 09:51 PM   #4
wayne

Shawn,
The Pro 2000 is nice. What other machines did you look at or consider ? I have got to use the Pro 2000 at a reloading seminar. It works nice ! I have been discussing the Hornady LNL Progressive on another topic here, and there is some interesting stuff there. The Pro 2000 seems to be the best built of the group including the Dillon 550B.

By the way the Pro 2000 is on sale at Midway for $ 302.99 till 11/15/02 !!!!! Pretty good deal.
Old November 8, 2002, 10:10 PM   #5
NG Bruce

I purchased a RCBS Pro-2000 last December and have used it for .357 Mag loading. My boxed unit included the powder measure and one starwheel. You need to purchase a shell plate for each different case size you will use (the .38 SPL/.357 Mag is the same, just like the .44 SPL/.44 Mag is the same). The shell plates use the same numbering system that RCBS uses for shellholders. You need one starwheel for each shell plate and one die plate for each different set of dies. The dust cover is nice, as my unit is out in the garage and it does protect the press from dust and dirt. The only other extra I ordered was the RCBS powder Lock-out die. It was a pain to adjust, but was worth the money and the trouble for the peace of mind you get from it. I tested mine after I set it up. It will definately lock up the press if you double charge or no-load a case. It has about a 1 grain margin of error, so I use 11.5 grains of 2400 in my .357 case, 1 grain low or high won't cause a problem for a 158 grain lead bullet, so I can load with out worrying about a double charge or no-charge. The only weak link in the system is the priming "plug" (mine bent pretty easy, they sent me a couple of free replacements) and my dealer tells me that RCBS has upgraded that part since last year. NG Bruce
Old November 8, 2002, 10:31 PM   #6
wayne

Hey Bruce,
Tell me, are you using RCBS dies ? Do you seat and crimp with the same die as in the RCBS dies set ? What kind of loading rate do you get with this setup ? I'm considering the RCBS press vs. the Hornady or Dillon 550.
Old November 10, 2002, 07:53 PM   #7
NG Bruce

Wayne,

I am using a current set (gray box) of RCBS carbide .357 Mag dies in my RCBS Pro2000. I started out with an older set (circa 1978) but they are designed differently (decaps on the expanding die rather than on the resizing die). RCBS will send you conversion parts, but the old style resizing die is not milled at an angle at the die mouth and thus it is very easy to catch a case mouth and crush a case, especially when you are loading fast.

I do seat and crimp at the same time (I used the "spare" hole for the lock-out die). My die is set up for 158 grain lead RNFP bullets and I have had no problem what-so-ever with seating and crimping at the same time.

My best rate is about 350 rounds per hour, but I have heard others who are faster, however I am just move at a speed that suits me at the time I load.

NG Bruce

PS Sorry it took two days to get back to you but I only check the site every few days. I did get you e-mail just now.

PPS When I got the conversion parts for the old dies from RCBS they offered to send me a brand new set of dies in exchange for my old set - that is unbelievable service! I declined the offer and bought new ones because my old dies where a gift from my Dad, who taught me to reload .357 Mag years ago and I wanted to keep them.
Old November 10, 2002, 09:03 PM   #8
wayne

Hi Bruce,
Thanks for all the info. I have gotten a lot of good info on the Pro 2000, and have taken a look at it in person. It certainly looks like a way to go.
Thanks again,
Old November 10, 2002, 09:36 PM   #9
Gary H

I've had the 2000 since shortly after it came out. They have recently improved the strip feeder. This new feeder has been 100% reliable for me. I added the inverted "V" metal powder dispenser insert that supposedly makes for a more uniform powder drop.

I always crimp separately..whenever crimp die is available. That means the Lee Factory Crimp Die, or the Redding Profile Die.

I now reload for six pistol calibers. I really like the 2000, but don't have any experience with the competition.
Old November 11, 2002, 05:45 PM   #10
Shawn Dodson

Thanks, guys, especially you Bruce, for the info.

Wayne: thanks for the heads-up about Midway. Midway's shipping was about $30.00. I ordered it Saturday night from Midway instead of Cabelas, which saved me a couple of bucks. I also like the fact that Midway provided more details about what I was actually ordering. Altogether I ordered the Pro-2000 press, dust cover, #16 shellplate (9mm), spare star wheel (just in case), and five packages of APS strips for small pistol primers -- the bill came to $385.00. I'm considering ordering a lockout die later on.

Wayne asked:
Quote:
What other machines did you look at or consider ?
Almost two years ago I ordered a Hornady LNL AP press from Widener's. The unit they had in stock was damaged so they had to back order it. Shortly thereafter I learned that we'd overspent on X-mas gifts and the money I had salted away had to go to cover that bill, so I was forced to cancel the order with Widener's. I was sad at the time but now I'm glad because it gave me the opportunity to research the Pro-2000.

I liked the LNL AP concept, especially the cost and ease of converting calibers compared to the Dillon RL550B. I felt the LNL AP micrometer adjust powder measuring and dispensing system was superior to the Dillon. Plus the cost to convert calibers was about $35.00 altogether for the LNL AP compared to something like $100.00+ for the Dillon, in order to obtain the same ease of converting. My one concern about the LNL AP was what I was hearing from others about the priming system and how it could be problematic. So this compelled me to look at what RCBS had to offer.

About 6 months ago I put together a matrix listing the RL550B, LNL AP and Pro-2000, and the cost for converting from one caliber to the next, using catalogs from several sources for references (Cabelas, Widener's, Midway, Dillon, Graf, etc.). The Pro-2000 appeared to be about the same cost as the LNL AP to convert calibers (about $35.00 for a tool head, shell plate and star wheel) and the Pro-2000 had the APS. Plus it was about the same cost as the LNL AP press. And all my dies are RCBS dies. In addition I lurked in discussions about the Pro-2000 on a couple of discussion boards to learn other's opinions. So after considering all this I decided to go with the Pro-2000.

The bummer is that I won't get to play with my new toy until mid-December because I'm currently on out-of-state business travel until then. To keep me occupied I'm making plans to build a new reloading bench over the Christmas holiday. Woo-hoo! Thanks again all!

Shawn
Old November 11, 2002, 09:44 PM   #11
wayne

Shawn,

It took me a second to figure out why your shipping was so much, then I see where you are at. For me it would be about 16 bucks to Ohio. I can buy the Pro 2000 locally, but have to pay TAX, I can save about $45.00 from Midway.

Based on everything I've read, it seems like the way to go. Let me know how you like it when you get to play with it. I may also order one bfeor the sale is off.

Take care,
Old November 12, 2002, 03:14 PM   #12
ZeusOne

To date, the Pro 2000 has met everyone of my expectations. The APS priming system is a definite plus.

My only complaint (there has to be one, right?) - I thought the manual was a little weak when it came to initially setting the press up out of the box.
Old October 18, 2005, 05:53 PM   #13
college

RCBS shel Plate and Star Wheel

I have found that when you keep a Star wheel on each of your Shell Plates then you canot read the Shell Plate number. So I printed VERY small labels and used my wife's clea finger nail polish to mount it on the Star Wheel (I could not find stick on numbers in white). I called RCBS and asked them to come up with something better.
Old October 18, 2005, 07:11 PM   #14
Peter M. Eick

I have loaded nearly 175,000 rnds on my pro2000. I don't think you will be sorry you bought it. I really love mine and it just keeps going just fine.

I have bought the following for my pro2000.
Shell plates (but no stars etc. I just use the one that comes with it)
Lock out die (for small powder charges that I cannot visually check)
Powder measure die (not a good choice, lock out is better)
a good clamp light (from target to put some light right on the shell plate).
Thats it.

What I had before hand was:
a good digital scale (powder pro from rcbs).
Micrometer screws for the uniflow (both large and small)
Powder baffle for the uniflow.

What else would be nice:
Lots of boxes, you can crank out a lot of ammo with one of these.
Lots of primers, I buy in bulk in the aps strips, easier that way.
Lots of bullets and powder. It goes quick!

http://www.handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=26

Go read this report. It is my 150,000 round review on the pro2000 from last year.

let me know if you have any questions. I will gladly help as will others here.
Old October 18, 2005, 07:21 PM   #15
dillonuser

Do NOT forget Safety Glasses!
Old October 19, 2005, 06:52 AM   #16
BigDog(RE)

umm, can I point out

that the original poster has probably been loading rounds on his Pro2000 for 3 years now! Old thread!