The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old August 8, 2012, 01:33 PM   #1
MP9

M&P FS, Pro and G34

Hi guys..

I own m&p FS 9.. and have been using it for IDPA and sometimes USPSA. It has the apex hard sear and USB.. the trigger is around 3.8 - 4.2..it is very good but the reset...

I own a g19 too.. sometimes I think I shoot the glock 19 gen4 better than the mp. in the last months I have been more into the "game" so I have been thinking about buying a g34 or m&p Pro

but is there any good advantage with the long slide/ 5" barrel of the PRO/g34? at IDPA we usually shoot at 7 -15 yards.. sometimes 20 and almost never 25..

but what about the recoil/muzzle flip with the m&p PRO or g34..? is there any advantage with the "5 barrel?

I have read that the advantage of the Pro is a better stock trigger but as I already have the apex parts,I dont know if it worth getting the pro o glock 34...

the good think about the g34 is it is ready out the box..good trigger, reset, you only have to change the sights and it is not as complicated as it is with the m&p..

but then again I dont know if it (g34) has any good advantage over the FS...

the reason I think about the g34 is with the m&p I have been fighting the grip for rapid fire...while with the glock 19 doing rapid fire the front size rise and come back on target ready to pull the trigger again..my support hand fit the left side of the grip very good/very flat and I feel a better control than with the m&p, with it the front size usually is a little bit to the left so the follow shots go to the left.

any advice?

thanks
Old August 8, 2012, 05:59 PM   #2
sigcurious

I would guess that the difference in grip shape between the glock and m&p, is causing you to grip them differently. Sounds like you're not getting as much contact with your support hand on the m&p, hence the to the left recoil. You could probably train out of that.

On the g34, I really like mine. Very controllable rapid fire and follow up shots. The barrel length itself will give you slightly higher velocity, but more importantly with a longer barrel comes a longer sight radius. I have limited experience with other glocks, but in comparison to a 17, I would give the 34 an edge.

My question is, why not use the g19 if you shoot it well?
Old August 8, 2012, 06:30 PM   #3
Justice06RR

I've owned and shot an M&P9 FS at and IDPA. In stock form with stock trigger it was pretty good even for a newer shooter like me. That says something about the M&P line! My roomate has both the G19 and G34 that he uses for IDPA as well. If you shoot the Glocks better due to the grip, then the G34 would probably serve you well.

Otherwise I'd stick with the M&P. I'm a big fan of M&P's and have owned both the 9mm and 40 full size.
Old August 12, 2012, 07:55 PM   #4
Hoosier_Daddy

The trigger and sights on the M&PPro are different than the M&P FS. Take a look at the two to see if the sight difference is to your liking. You could probably change the FS sights to the same or better fiber optic sight as the M&P pro well as the trigger.