The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 9, 2011, 02:31 PM   #1
Nick9130White

870 "jams" with Winchester shells

When I was shooting my 870 at the range, every second shot I would shoot would make it so I couldn't pump it to eject the last shell. But that only happened with the Winchester universial Wally world sale. The only other shells I shot through it was Remington 4 shot and Remington universial Wally world sale. Why would my shotgun seize up with only Winchester? The only reason this would be a problem is because I'm debating between Remington's "hypersonic" shells and winchester's "Blindside".
Also, does anyone have any imput on either of those for duck?
Old July 9, 2011, 03:05 PM   #2
KnightofCydonia

The Winchester universal shells are made of cheap metal and are not made to the exact shape of a 12 bore. So they expand and get stuck in your 870. Your 870 (if an express, maybe wingmaster) is not as refined in its chamber so it may have burrs in it that catch onto the base of the shell and make it hard to extract, usually requiring excessive force.
Old July 9, 2011, 03:13 PM   #3
TheKlawMan

The problem you experienced is commonly experienced by 870 shooters and is believed to be due to the use of steel bases utilized by the Winchester Valu Paks marketed by Wal Mart. As far as I know other Winchester shells will not give you this problem.

There is a related issue experienced with new 870 Express models, which sees to be related to many coming off the line with tight chambers. Those with the problem often loosen up with use but the problem can be cured by polishing chambers with steel wool or the like.
Old July 9, 2011, 03:52 PM   #4
Nick9130White

Oh that makes sense. As long as I'll be able to shoot winchester.
Old July 9, 2011, 04:27 PM   #5
mathman

I know I'll get flamed for this, but new 870s suck.

Sure 90% work flawlessly, but even if only 10% are bad, that is way too high. It is well documented...Remington just doesn't have good QC. There are similar complaints about newer Marlins made since Remington bought them out...same stuff, different day.

You all can say whatever you want, but they stink in my opinion.
Old July 9, 2011, 04:33 PM   #6
.300 Weatherby Mag

The problem you described is one of the reasons that I've completely abandoned the Winchester Universal rounds... Plus they are really dirty!!
Old July 9, 2011, 04:55 PM   #7
TheKlawMan

Mathman. Sure it sucks that the buyer has to polish its chamber. I think it cost me $3 for fine steel wool and a dowel rod to polish the chamber of mine and Remikngton would have been wise to finish them better. I did it before even taking the new gun shooting just to ensure I wouldn't have a problem. But to say that the new 870's suck is a bit of an overstatement.
Old July 9, 2011, 04:59 PM   #8
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Klaw... Just because a metal base is yellow or orange doesn't mean it is brass...

Scrap brass is paying over $2.00 a pound lately...

I have seen several brands of shell with bases appearing to be brass rust away in the yard.

Brent
Old July 9, 2011, 05:02 PM   #9
eastbank

the wally win,s have a steel base and steel does not act the same as brass when fired,a different expanshen ratio. plus a little rough chanber and instant jam. a little polishing and the rem will work fine. eastbank.
Old July 9, 2011, 05:49 PM   #10
Nick9130White

They are cheap but not worth it.
But who can't not get 100 rounds for $20?!
But the Remington version of the same thing worked fine.
But it is way to dirty. And I guess I'm in that 90% because the only problem I've had was just with the universal.