The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old January 15, 2014, 06:36 PM   #1
freenokia

Thought this might be a good place to ask

Just found out my neighbor pulled a gun and threatened to kill a guy that owed him quite a bit of money (100k). This was in another state and instead of having our local police pick him up, they sent the US Marshall's to get him. Word is he's out on bail. I live in Georgia and this all happened in Florida. What kind of trouble is he looking at? Prison(decades, months?), house arrest, fine?

Do they normally send U.S. Marshall's for something like this?

I knew the guy was into some shady stuff but wow.
Old January 15, 2014, 06:47 PM   #2
thallub

Quote:
Do they normally send U.S. Marshall's for something like this?
The guy may have wants for a federal offense. Sometimes US Marshall's go after fugitives.
Old January 15, 2014, 07:12 PM   #3
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
Just found out my neighbor pulled a gun and threatened to kill a guy that owed him quite a bit of money (100k).
If that statement is true, he did so because of the money, not in SD and proves to be so in court he is in big trouble. Florida has a law called the 10,20, life law...http://www.cga.ct.gov/2013/rpt/2013-R-0067.htm If he violated that law and is found guilty of it the sentence is a mandatory sentence.

What ultimately happen to him can only be a guess. Most depends on what happened, what can be proven happened, what a jury says, What the prosecutor has charged him with, etc. etc.

To get a better idea of what could happen, one would have to have acces to the evidence etc. Even then, who knows! We do have a few lawyers on here that may have some advice or guess as to what is what. All I can say with any certainty is that I would not want to be in his shoes and I wish him good luck.
Old January 15, 2014, 07:29 PM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Really no offense but we have almost no information and could not possibly hope to guess what sort of trouble he could be in without knowing the exact situation, besides not knowing the jurisdiction, besides not being lawyers/prosecutors.

Plus, a crime being committed with a gun doesn't automatically make it a firearms topic, nor is it firearms law or civil rights.
Closed Thread