The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 25, 2012, 01:06 AM   #26
9mm

I recommend like a vise gripper, specalliy made with rubber grip narrowing to close grip space, so you can rack the slide at home with easy to load/unload.

Like a V vise grip, so its tight and you can rack the gun with safety.
Old August 25, 2012, 01:40 PM   #27
Husqvarna

wow what an horrible salesman, poor character and poor salesman.

take a look at this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmqQpR4L3Rc

surely there has got to be a modern equivilant of that lever?

I am thinking for motorcycle police?

or this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJhuo...1&feature=plcp

maybe a gunsmith could custommake it for you? the function I mean not the gun itself
Old August 25, 2012, 04:56 PM   #28
Master Blaster 2

opps
Old August 25, 2012, 04:57 PM   #29
Master Blaster 2

opps
Old August 25, 2012, 04:58 PM   #30
Master Blaster 2

One hand shooting...
Lignose

Norinco M77B. takes a strong finger pull but works

I have both..and also a BIG JoLoAr Spanish which was made for horse back.

Last edited by Master Blaster 2; August 25, 2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old August 25, 2012, 06:39 PM   #31
larryh1108

If you didn't go to Mega Sports in Plainfield then you should. You may even see the S&W Model 8 there. It's one of those gun stores you walk into and say "wow". If that was the store you visited then I am surprised. They are more professional than that. Check them out.

http://www.megasportsfirearms.com/index.php

Last edited by larryh1108; August 26, 2012 at 08:04 AM.
Old August 26, 2012, 06:02 AM   #32
Verk

I'll have to check them out, Larry. I think I've actually been there once in the past to use their range, and they had a pretty impressive selection of pistols. I've heard their prices aren't the best, I'm honestly not sure if that's true or not, but you can't beat the number of choices.
Old August 26, 2012, 08:31 AM   #33
Master Blaster 2

Baretta M86 Cheetha .380ACP Pop up barrel could be used 1 handed...

Last edited by Master Blaster 2; August 26, 2012 at 08:37 AM.
Old August 26, 2012, 10:17 AM   #34
DFrame

A friend of mine who has no left arm uses 38 special revolvers and always seems to have no trouble shooting with them. He prefers S&W revolvers as he says the thumb latch is easier for him to use.
Old August 26, 2012, 12:09 PM   #35
Hammerhead

For SA revolvers I'm thinking a thick, soft rubber mat with a rubber ridge running left to right placed on a shooting bench could help with rotating the cylinder and working the ejector rod while keeping the gun pointed in a safe direction.

I bring up SA revo's because when I want to shoot one handed, nothing shoots as well for me.

Deaf Smith has a pretty good argument for Glocks as well.

I wish you the best with your situation.
Old August 26, 2012, 12:52 PM   #36
Microgunner

I own a RIA 22TCM double stack 1911. According to the manufacturer it generates over 400 ft.lbs. of energy at over 2000 fps with it's 40 grn pill.
It's capacity is 19+1 rounds and uses standard MecGar P18 .38 Super magazines.

The trick is, the recoil is very low and the slide is ridiculously easy to manipulate. Easier to rack than most .22lrs due to the slide being solid steel and needing only a 8# recoil spring.

Mine has shot flawlessly without a single hiccup and as a side benefit it comes with a 9mm barrel and recoil spring.

Old August 26, 2012, 06:40 PM   #37
shafter

I was thinking that maybe a small leather loop that can be slid onto your belt may be useful for reloading a revolver. It's easy to swing open the cylinder and eject the empties with one hand. Then simple put the revolver barrel into the loop with the cylinder still open. Reload, and close the cylinder.

Just a thought.
Old August 26, 2012, 06:49 PM   #38
pax

Verk,

Just a word of encouragement: https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/ccm...joshua-benson/ This shooter (who uses a wheelchair to get around) has almost no function in his right arm, and only limited function in his left. I met him (and wrote the linked article) and still consider him one of the most inspirational shooters I've ever known.

If he can do it, you can do it.

When I met him, he was taking an advanced self defense class -- and keeping up with the rest of the group just fine, thankyouverymuch. He was using a non-modified semi-automatic pistol, doing one-handed reloads including racking the slide one-handed, and hitting his target accurately quite comfortably within the par times.

If he can do it, you can do it.

I have known and worked with a lot of people who have temporarily lost the use of an arm. One handed gun manipulations are not difficult, but they must be taught. You will almost certainly not figure out how to do it safely on your own, or from written descriptions on the web.

Call up any reputable training school -- Rangemaster in TN, Firearms Academy of Seattle on the west coast, Massad Ayoob Group throughout the country, lots of others -- and explain your circumstances when you register for a course.

You'll do fine.

pax
Old August 26, 2012, 07:05 PM   #39
Noreaster

Don't let anything hold you back. I'm sure you'll find a way to get things done. That being said it may not be safe or practical (other then a combat situation,) to rack the slide of a semi auto with one hand. But if that's what you decide on the go for it. With my job as LEO I have to practice one handed, strong and weak. My Glock is fine but I really shine one handed with a 1911 style. For whatever reason it works for me the best. If I couldn't use my weak hand I would probably stick with a revolver for ease of loading and unloading. But again I'm sure you will be able to work anything you put your mind to. Good luck and let us know how you make out.
Old August 26, 2012, 07:20 PM   #40
JN01

Get a set of suppressor sights. They will have a large enough/tall enough surface area to press against an object to rack the slide and would be much more practical than the slide racker accessories if you intend to holster the gun.

Here's an example of a set on a Glock: http://www.onesourcetactical.com/sup...x#.UDq8PNZlTYg
Old August 26, 2012, 07:25 PM   #41
pax

Here is a professional firearms instructor explaining how to safely and effectively reload a pistol with one hand: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6KKJTRRZ-8

pax
Old August 27, 2012, 09:49 AM   #42
WESHOOT2

My one-armed friend used to beat me regularly at USPSA matches with his SIG 228 (and mag pouches designed to let him slip the butt onto them).
Old August 27, 2012, 02:21 PM   #43
FlySubCompact

Verk,

First, sorry to hear of what you are going through with the arm. You will be able to work through it though.

Second,

My wife was gun shopping a while back. She told me that the LGS clerk showed her how he is set up to manipulate his Glock 23 in the event that one of his arms became disabled (robbery or whatever). He had two little clips that belt mount on his left and right sides. He snags the rear sight on the clips to rack. He demonstrated with and empty G23 and some empty mags. He'd apparently practiced a lot with this system because my wife said he was very fast with either hand. unloading/reloading/racking.
Old August 27, 2012, 02:24 PM   #44
Chesster

A tuned BHP. You can rack the slide on the edge of a table, doorframe, etc.. as there is no protruding guide rod from the lower front of the slide.
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old August 27, 2012, 04:21 PM   #45
AeroEngineer

There's a gunsmith in my area that manufactures a "tactical racker" attachment for a glock. http://www.hatfieldsgunsmithing.com/Tactical_Racker.html. I don't have any personal experience on this device, but it might be worth consideration.

You should be commended for pursuing your interest in pistols in spite of a disability. Also, when you finally decide on a firearm that will suit your needs, I'd recommend taking your business to a gun store with professional staff.
Old September 3, 2012, 06:31 PM   #46
navy vet

One-handed shooter

Verk,

I have an extensive background in prosthetics and shooting. Most of the replies you received did not have much information regarding prosthetics. If you will send me a personal message I will do my best to help you with your problem. Looking forward to communicating with you.

Navy Vet
Old September 5, 2012, 02:07 PM   #47
Deja vu

ID go with a revolver. I have seen some 357s with an 8 shot capasity. The reason has nothing to do with loading it. It has much more to do with what you do if you have a jam and only 1 hand. In a semi you have to rack the slide, on a revolver you pull the trigger again.

If you really want to shoot an auto there are lots of good ideas all ready in this thread.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...

Last edited by Deja vu; September 5, 2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old September 6, 2012, 09:30 PM   #48
barnbwt

Maybe you just haven't tried the right kind of revolver; the top-break design was designed specifically to be reloadable with a single hand. Sadly, it is not popular today (Uberti makes some 44-40 and 44Russian SA topbreaks), but a good condition older S&W in 38 S&W would only set you back a couple hundred bucks. Not the most powerful player these days, but definitely the most ergonomic for someone in your position.

1.)Wedge barrel in armpit (will still work if you don't have an opposing shoulder)
2.)Slide hand up grip to release frame latch
3.)bend frame open, ejecting shells
4.)Insert new rounds (cylnders can be cut for moon clips, or speedloaders used)
5.)Close frame, bring back into play

True, a typical gun range would frown on this as it does point the gun at the ground behind you. Also you would have to practice to not sweep yourself or those to the sides of you while performing this manuever. But this method was practiced one-handed by Cossacks on horseback, so mastering it on your own feet should be no problem

Best of luck with your procedure and recovery, and most importantly, keep doing things!

TCB
Old October 2, 2013, 01:59 PM   #49
mocanon

im a one armed shooter

I wish I had seen this thread sooner. I am a right arm amputee, who lost my strong arm in 2001. I can shoot just about anything that isn't weight prohibitive. in the case of semi auto pistols, I use the front sight or lip of the frame against an edge to rack the slide. anything from a countertop to a belt or the sole of my shoe will work. as your hand becomes stronger (and working as your sole hand it will get stronger) you will find that you can hold the frame and rack the slide of most guns with one hand! you will have a dexterity advantage over most people with the use of both hands. i hope by now you've already found this all out on your own.
Old October 2, 2013, 02:19 PM   #50
jimbob86

Quote:
The pistol of choice would be a standard steel frame, steel slide, open iron sights. Don't use plastic sights. The idea is that you hold the slide against some object like a door edge, a tree, a leg or something to hold the slide.
A good gunbelt should be stiff enough to catch the rear sight on and rack the slide by pushing the grip down. Works well with a fixed sight 1911.