The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 12, 2012, 03:39 PM   #1
varmiter

Game Cameras

Hi Folks,

Since this is OT, guess this is the right place.

I’m considering purchasing an HD game camera or two to set up around the house, not only for two legged security, but also some four legged security as well.

If anyone here actually has a camera in use, what are your thoughts on it’s performance? Since many of theses cameras tout bunches of megapixels, would anyone have an original picture they could send me as a “file”. I’m not really particular on what the picture actually is, but with the original, I should be able to zoom in quite a bit to make out details that may not be visible in the original.

If anyone does have an original from one of these cameras, I would certainly appreciate if you could forward it to me at
[email protected]
as a file.

Thanks for your kind consideration,

Chris
Old August 13, 2012, 12:16 PM   #2
varmiter

Here is the reason I’m looking for as high definition as I can get.

The original of the following picture is 6.8Mb’s in size. Way too big for posting on the internet so what you are seeing here are screen shots.

Notice the red arrow pointing downward to the label on the stroller. It can’t be read. But with the simple paint program that comes with windows, one can zoom in and out at will. The second picture, which has been zoomed in, the tag can easily be read.

Chris
Old August 13, 2012, 01:00 PM   #3
Doyle

Two of the features you really need is are to be able to take shots without any flash and have a super-fast trigger speed. The fast trigger speed is important because many of them are so slow that by the time they sense motion and take a photo, the subject has already moved out of the frame.
Old August 13, 2012, 01:35 PM   #4
varmiter

I know. There are literally hundreds out there, all touting their capabilities.

A fast trigger (shutter) and invisible IR flash are an absolute necessity, as is it’s silent operation.

The plan is this will be setup 24/7/365 for security. Easily hidden and reliable. Some reviews on some of these cameras are frightening. Will occasionally change it's position and actually use it for what it was designed for. Photographing wild critters.

As a case in point. The following is a high res photo taken thru a window of our resident female coyote.

She has been around for about 2 ½ years now. Her right rear leg is useless but she has adapted to getting around reasonably well. She shows up every afternoon, to wait for grub (table scraps). We have gone to great lengths to make sure what we are doing does in NO WAY attempt to tame her. She is still VERY careful around anything she doesn’t know intimately. When she comes into season, she will occasionally show up with at least one male in tow. She has shown up once with what I take to be a pup, weaned, but still sill with Mom.

Ordinarily, I would never feed a wild animal like this, but with her useless leg, I can only surmise that it is our feeding that she is still alive today. She will show up, lay down under a creosote bush and wait for grub. When we step out to feed her, she gets up and moves a long way off. Once we put the food down, she will cautiously approach and eat. In this heat, we put an additional bowl of water down for her. She circled this bowl, and her grub, for at least a half hour before she would eat. She would grab a bite and step back because this bowl of water was new. In the end, she never touched the water. Water is available elsewhere on the property which she knows.

Ms Wily Coyote.

Chris

Last edited by varmiter; August 13, 2012 at 05:07 PM.