The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 25, 2012, 05:54 PM   #1
liscomb20

newb rifle question

Ok im a brand new rifle reload newb. Im loading for a. 220 swift. Im using hornaday varmit 55 gr sp bullets and 31.5 gr of accur 2520. I loaded one round so far. I set the bullet to 2.680 and after I got it done I can shake the round and here the gun powder moving around. Now isthis normal or not as I said im 100% newb. Just seeing that I did everything right before I preside with the next 50 rounds.
Old July 25, 2012, 06:03 PM   #2
10-96

Yes, hearing the powder rattle or shake is OK. Not all loadings require full cases of powder (many don't). The ctg's where you don't hear anything are the one's with the right powder/bullet weight combination to allow for a compressed powder charge.

Now, some folks seem to say that only a case that's full to the point to where you hear the powder crunch as the bullet is being seated costitutes a compressed load. However, that's just nit picking as far as I'm concerned. To me, if a case is 97% or more full to where the powder does not move once the projectile is seated- then I'm OK with that terminology.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old July 25, 2012, 06:06 PM   #3
Jim Watson

That's OK. It is not required that smokeless powder fill the case.

I am curious as to where you got that load, though.
It is not in AA literature or any manual I have except Nosler.
It is well below the Nosler starting load.
Is it listed that way in a Hornady manual?
Old July 25, 2012, 06:06 PM   #4
jepp2

Assuming your load isn't a compressed powder charge, you can hear the powder when you shake the case. The Nosler manual will list %fill of the case for the loads listed. Very handy to know. You can always just look into the case after charging and see how far below the case neck the top of the powder is.

Sounds normal to me provided your load data supports the load. I checked the Accurate Load data and no loads using your powder were listed.
Old July 25, 2012, 06:13 PM   #5
liscomb20

I got it out of the one caliber book and its hornady load data it says 30.1 to 34.3 and at 31.5 gr I can get 3400 fps which im going safe because im not sure how many rounds have been through the brass
Old July 25, 2012, 07:55 PM   #6
jepp2

Quote:
not sure how many rounds have been through the brass
Might be a good candidate to give the paper clip test to check for incipient case head separation. Especially if you don't know how the brass was sized and if the die was properly set up for shoulder setback.
Old July 25, 2012, 10:43 PM   #7
mrawesome22

Do you have a real loading manual? Like a Lyman or Hornady?

These manuals will walk you through the whole process.

And good case fill is key in getting consistent velocity.

Sent from a Linux kernel.
Old July 26, 2012, 05:40 PM   #8
math teacher

You can here the powder in many factory loads. Years ago a friend was afraid that he was going to blow his head off with one of my loads because he couldn't here the powder.
Old July 29, 2012, 05:40 PM   #9
jackpine

If peek into a nosler manual they list load density. 90% of the loads are less that 100% density.