The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 24, 2010, 02:08 PM   #1
Mawetta

Australia Gun laws a business opportunity?

I'm wondering if it is possible to set up a shooting facility, one that only rents guns as recreation at the facility range. Does not sell or have any available for showing. Guns are banned from ownership, is it possible to grease government hands and open a recreation facility?

I think it would be very profitable and turn guns from bad to recreation devices. Lots of money to bring firearm recreation into tourism.
Old June 24, 2010, 02:40 PM   #2
johnwilliamson062

I am nearly positive guns are not banned from ownership in Australia. You have to jump through considerable hoops to get a license, but they are not banned and the hoops are not prohibitive, just a pain. At least that is what several Australian board members have previously indicated.
Old June 24, 2010, 04:56 PM   #3
CodeBasher

There is such a facility in the Gold Coast for all manor of handguns to be shot by non-licensed people. It's about $50 to shoot 25rounds for .45 calibre which is what my brother and I did five years ago. It was so much fun that got me back into shooting.

As far as I know it's the only one out there.

Just FYI...

long arms are classified as CAT A/B firearms
hand guns are classified as CAT H firearms
semi-auto long arms are CAT C/D restricted to farmers with serious vermin problems only
full-auto are banned outright

A/B licence:1 day safety course + club membership + 28 day waiting period for a licence.

H licence: 1 day safety course + club membership + 1 day club induction course + continued club attendance + 6 months waiting period.... Yet another 3 months again to actually own a .22. To own above .22 and wait another 6 months again. Once club attendance falters you must surrender the gun used for that attendance.

and or course more waiting periods and registrations for purchases of all firearms. Of note, handgun clubs here for some reason tend to be elitist and quite unwelcoming as a whole. Which is a crying shame.

There is though a strong rifleman's culture here in Australia and since 1996 when the bull**** hit the fan we now have more rifle owners than before the draconian gun control struck 14 years ago. Tell an Aussie we can't have something and one way or another we'll prove different. There's also a lot of unregistered hand guns here now... surprise surprise...

Last edited by CodeBasher; June 24, 2010 at 05:02 PM.
Old June 24, 2010, 05:50 PM   #4
Mawetta

Good to know, mate. I would try to start up a facility in NSW if i had millions of dollars to start an international business. haha. I can take comfort in knowing it would be profitable. That counts for something.
Old June 24, 2010, 08:21 PM   #5
CodeBasher

What the Gold Coast do is fit lugs and cable to the pistol in some kind of rig before using so the firer cant point the gun away from downrange. I suspect rigging guns like that before every shoot allows them to run the business as they do.

Cheers
Old June 25, 2010, 03:37 AM   #6
Nickel Plated

There is something like that in the Poconos in Pennsylvania. The range has a wide selection of all sorts of rental guns. Even shotguns that they let you pop some clays with. About $8 for 10 rounds, but it varies a little from gun to gun.

Seems to be a big draw for NYers who can't realistically get guns any other way (like me). Every time we go there the place is full of people and lot's of cars with NY plates in the parking lot.

It's a bit pricey, but again, better than nothing.
Old June 26, 2010, 10:34 PM   #7
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day.
I suspect that including a retail outlet, range and Gunsmith facility would have a larger market opportunity.
Remember, it's all about the location.