The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old November 13, 2008, 07:46 PM   #1
JasonG

Construction of church / school and carry laws .......

Hope I have this in the right forum.
In most states carry in school zones is illegal and in many states carry in churches is as well.
OK, carry on a construction site is legal.
When does the property become illegal to carry on? When the CO (Certificate of Occupancy) is issued ? Always?
Short of a letter to my Attorney General, anyone have experience with this? Besides don't ask don't tell of course
Old November 14, 2008, 10:16 AM   #2
Keltyke

In SC, it's illegal to carry into a school. However (correct me if I'm wrong) the state has decided a parking area is public and thusly legal for your weapon. Just leave it in the car when you go inside. Some private companies have "no weapons on premises" restrictions. That is fully their right as a private property. In that case, unless you want to leave your weapon at home, it's "what they don't won't hurt ya."

I suggest you read your state's firearms laws thoroughly. Good luck, sometimes the wording can be ah...confusing.
Old November 14, 2008, 04:28 PM   #3
RangerHAAF

Here in Georgia the legislature just passed one of those "parking lot" bills allowing people to leave their guns in their cars on an employers parking lot. The Chamber of Commerce squealed like a pig about private property laws and OHSHA regulations but the gun owning public prevailed in the end.

I haven't heard anything one way or the other about any schools complaining about guns coming onto their parking lots because they can only really search the autos of students attending the school in question, not the cars of visitors.
Old November 15, 2008, 05:38 PM   #4
Don H

jasonguerard,

The answers to the questions you posed would depend on the laws of your state (whatever it is) because laws vary from state to state, oftimes quite drastically.
Old April 13, 2009, 06:02 PM   #5
JasonG

I work in Georgia and NC
"Bones, what killed him ?" "Acute lead poisoning Jim....." ST-TOS#61
Old April 13, 2009, 08:17 PM   #6
jmr40

So far no has even touched on the original question.

It is a good question and I do not know the answer. I would bet it would also be illegal even while the building is under construction. The property would belong to the school system and school maintence workers are usually involved, especially in the final stages. I've been teaching nearly 30 years and have been involved in moving into 2 brand new schools as well as a couple of major renovations.

Regarding Georgia law and schools. It is still technically illegal to have a gun within 1000' of a school but there are some strange and contradictory laws. In GA it is perfectly legal to drop off or pick up your kid with a gun in your car. It does not matter if it is concealed or in sight. You may not bring it into the school or park your car with a gun. As long as you just drop off and keep moving it is legal. An employee cannot have a gun in their car. It is possible to get permission from the principal. I have done so in the past to provide a gun for a lesson or demonstration.

Tags
carry , church , construction , law , school