The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 7, 2007, 05:40 PM   #1
GJJ

Is the Lee Classic Loader safe?

Many people on this board have given me good advice on the best Lee kit to buy. I will probably end up going with the Lee Classic Turet.

Before I do that, I wanted to buy the Lee Classic kit for my .38 special to try reloading a box or two. They are so inexpensive. I read, I think it was on this board, about a guy losing his thumb with one. He made some sort of mistake and a loaded round went off. The thought of banging on a charged shell does not exactly thrill me. I wish I could find the original post. I don't think it was a hoax.

Have you heard of any safety issues with this loader?
Old April 7, 2007, 05:53 PM   #2
mc223

I think that any device that man can come up with could be as dangerous or as safe as the individual using it will make it
Old April 7, 2007, 06:05 PM   #3
layusn1

Well, just look how long they have been around with plenty of good reviews. I think the real question is if you are willing to load that slowly.
Old April 7, 2007, 06:41 PM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

If it's not safe I guess I should have died somewhere between the ages of 12 and 16 when I used the Lee Classic to turn out rounds for .30-06, 6.5 Arisaka, and at least one other caliber.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 7, 2007, 06:49 PM   #5
lee n. field

Quote:
Before I do that, I wanted to buy the Lee Classic kit for my .38 special to try reloading a box or two.
Handloading with a Lee Loader is totally unlike handloading with a conventional press.

Safe, yeah, it's safe. The occasional primer will pop during the priming process.
Old April 7, 2007, 06:50 PM   #6
Seven High

Before I upgraded, I loaded many a .38spl round with a Lee hand reloader. You have to pay close attention to what you are doing. If you do, they are very safe to use.
Old April 7, 2007, 08:32 PM   #7
jdmick

Quote:
The thought of banging on a charged shell does not exactly thrill me.
Other than when you tap in the bullet and possibly crimp it that should never be the case. When you do tap the bullet in the shell is in a holder that has a hole under the primer.
Some wear gloves and ear protection when they seat primers but in my fairly limited experience with one I've never had a primer go off.
Many more people have sawed their fingers off with some form of power saw but my guess is that you've used one.
Old April 8, 2007, 05:22 PM   #8
TEDDY

lee press

reading this post I seem to have got lost the man asked about a turret press and I end up reading post about a hand maker. the turret is fine I have three of the older turrets I have never popped a cap in loading in 67 yrs of loading.I use a lee hand primer.yrs ago I used nutcracker Ideal/lyman(pre 310).slam the handle up and down and youl be known as 4 finger.smooth and easy is the way do not hurry.
Old April 8, 2007, 06:22 PM   #9
Peter M. Eick

Well look at the upside. You don't have to worry about double charging a case by a progressive. No worries about primers blowing up in primer tubes. No real worries about jamming the case and ripping of the head because of lack of lube. No real worries about overchargeing a case if you can read the instructions and use the powder chart and dippers provided.

I mean really when you consider it, it may actually be safer then a conventional progressive press.
Old April 8, 2007, 07:31 PM   #10
layusn1

If he is asking about a turret why the heck would you be pounding on a shell?
Old April 8, 2007, 09:25 PM   #11
Scorch

Quote:
yrs ago I used nutcracker Ideal/lyman(pre 310).slam the handle up and down and youl be known as 4 finger.
Been there, done that. Biggest blood blister I think I ever had!

The Lee Turret press is a fine press, and very versatile. Used one before I got my progressive. The kit is a good way to get started.
Old April 8, 2007, 10:12 PM   #12
snuffy

THIS is what GJJ is talking about. You use a plastic hammer to tap the shell into a die, then the same hammer to tap the primmer into the case. Again the hammer to tap the bullet to seat it.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=459280

The story he refers to was the shell blew up while the bullet was being seated, causing enough trauma to his thumb for it to be amputated.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old April 9, 2007, 02:43 PM   #13
Scorch

Yeah, used one when I first started reloading with my brother in 1972. Kinda scary when I think back on it, and slow.