The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 12, 2000, 08:06 AM   #1
ruadhain

Can anyone out there tell me how much wear is
acceptable on the slide rail inserts on the usp .45 compact? I purchased said handgun new, and after my first session at the range (where I put 250 rnds reloaded hardball though it) when I broke it down for cleaning I found some rough wear on the right rear steel slide rail insert. When the usp was broken down before firing the insert was completely covered by the polymer compund the frame is made of. I expected it to wear thru to the steel, which it did on all the slide rail inserts, but the right rear insert is the only one that is this rough. Also the right rear insert seams to have a greater difference in depth of coverage by the polymer than the others.
Here are my main questions/concearns:
1-How much wear is "normal" in this part, at this point in its use?
2-What problems, if any, will this cause?
3-Is this repairable, or should I get on H&K's case to replace the weapon?
Okay, I thinkl I've confused everyone by now.
Old July 12, 2000, 10:06 AM   #2
CoastieN70

I've been shooting USP Compacts for about 3 years now and what you describe appears to be normal, that is if you are refering to the roughness being in the wear of the polymer coating. The rails are set in the polymer during frame "layup" and the coating eventually wears completely away exposing and leaving bare steel behind.

Unless you see wear in the steel rails, don't be concerned.

[This message has been edited by CoastieN70 (edited July 12, 2000).]
Old July 12, 2000, 02:57 PM   #3
ruadhain

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ruadhain:
Can anyone out there tell me how much wear is
acceptable on the slide rail inserts on the usp .45 compact? I purchased said handgun new, and after my first session at the range (where I put 250 rnds reloaded hardball though it) when I broke it down for cleaning I found some rough wear on the right rear steel slide rail insert. When the usp was broken down before firing the insert was completely covered by the polymer compund the frame is made of. I expected it to wear thru to the steel, which it did on all the slide rail inserts, but the right rear insert is the only one that is this rough. Also the right rear insert seams to have a greater difference in depth of coverage by the polymer than the others.
Here are my main questions/concearns:
1-How much wear is "normal" in this part, at this point in its use?
2-What problems, if any, will this cause?
3-Is this repairable, or should I get on H&K's case to replace the weapon?
Okay, I thinkl I've confused everyone by now.
[/quote]
Unfortunetly, the wear is in the exposed steel slide rail where the polymer has worn off. The polymer wore off unevenly, and the steel underneath it on the side is rough/burred. I wish I had a digital camera, it would make this a lot easier to "discribe".
Old July 14, 2000, 09:44 PM   #4
Bennett Richards

I have been shooting H&K's for years now and rest asured this wear pattern is naormal and will NOT affect the weapon's reliability or accuracy in any way. Remember, these weapons were designed to cycle when covered with mud....

Ben
Old July 14, 2000, 09:44 PM   #5
Bennett Richards

I have been shooting H&K's for years now and rest assured this wear pattern is naormal and will NOT affect the weapon's reliability or accuracy in any way. Remember, these weapons were designed to cycle when covered with mud....

Ben
Old June 11, 2001, 07:22 PM   #6
addecus

not to worry , it's normal

mine wears that way too.