The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 1, 2014, 12:05 PM   #1
Noreaster

Light fast handling 20g for upland game

I have been on a quest for a better upland game gun, (grouse, rabbit, close in pheasant and yes squirrels.) My long barrel 12 gauges have limited my hit ratio in heavy brush. I wanted a sxs or o/u with imp cyl and mod chokes but I have become disheartened with reviews and opinions of the lower end guns. Do to $ I'm now looking for 26inch pump in 20 gauge. I almost pulled the trigger on Nova with 24inch barrel but backed out at the last minute. I did find a BPS with a straight stock and a short barrel but the price was a little high and the barrel was to short for my liking. I like NEF but the one I picked up was too heavy and only came with one choke. Back in the day I use to use my grandfather's Ithaca feather weight and it was awesome. Any opinions would be appreciated, I'm looking in the $400 area.
Old January 1, 2014, 12:19 PM   #2
Pahoo

LT-20 and BPS !!

Please understand that I am not up what all is available. However, I can relate to the Browning BPS and the Remington LT-20, uplands. Before they moved to SD, I shot a lot of Pheasants with my LT-20 ....

Be Safe !!!
Old January 1, 2014, 12:21 PM   #3
shortwave

Hey, I like your thoughts on the Ithaca model 37 pump myself. But then again, I'm kinda partial to the mod. 37's for the hunting you mentioned.
Old January 1, 2014, 12:35 PM   #4
jaguarxk120

Start looking for the Ithaca Model 37 in 20 gauge, there is nothing on the market like the Ithaca.

It is a gun made with steel and walnut, no plastic/alloy die castings, or stampings.
They weigh about six pounds and for upland game the can't be beat.

Don't worry about parts as they are made the same way today just as they were years ago. The difference is todays guns are made on modern CNC lathes.
Old January 1, 2014, 01:41 PM   #5
BigJimP

In terms of shotguns, I tend to look long term....in terms of a gun you'll be happy to own 25 or more years from now...

So the Browning BPS is my choice...they make a micro model in a 20ga with a 22" barrel I think ....and the more standard BPS Hunter model in a 20ga in either a 26" or a 28" barrel....new, they are both in the $ 575 price range...

but you may find some BPS models used..even made back in the late 80's ...with the old Invector chokes vs the newer Invector Plus chokes...and they would be good buys. If the stocks are scratched up a little ...but they're still solid mechanically ....its a pretty easy project to sand and refinish the stock and forend...and it'll give you a great value.

I still have the BPS Hunter models, one in 12ga and one in 20ga that I bought in the 1980's....they're still great guns.
Old January 1, 2014, 02:46 PM   #6
Pahoo

Ah yes and thanks; shortwave

Quote:
Hey, I like your thoughts on the Ithaca model 37 pump myself.
Thanks shortwave as I plumb forgot about the 37. I sold a plain barrel 12Ga. about 20yrs. ago, with the intent of buying a 20Ga. I'm still looking and suspect that will be the case for some time. I sold too cheap as these beauties are bringing lots more money now. ...

Be Safe !!!
Old January 1, 2014, 03:44 PM   #7
shortwave

Quote:
I sold a plain barrel 12Ga. about 20yrs. ago, with the intent of buying a 20Ga. I'm still looking and suspect that will be the case for some time. I sold too cheap as these beauties are bringing lots more money now
Make ya a deal Pahoo. You and I plan a bird trip out Dakota way and I'll bring the 37's in 12,16 and 20ga. I'll even round up a 28ga. You can have your pick to slay them birds with. We'll see if we're as young as we used to be ...

Sure would love to make that trip.

Last edited by shortwave; January 1, 2014 at 04:28 PM.
Old January 1, 2014, 04:08 PM   #8
PetahW

FWIW, many years ago, I bought (used) a 20ga Ithaca M37 Deerslayer that also has an extra plain bbl w/mod choke.

The only gun I have, that I like better, is my 28ga Ithaca Flues SxS.

OTOH - a 20ga Franchi AL-48 makes a featherweight birdgun (about 5lbs), especially with the 24" VR bbl.

Old January 1, 2014, 04:18 PM   #9
336A

I have a 26" modified choked 20GA H&R Pardner and it is a splendid shotgun for the purposes that you have in mind. It is far from being to heavy in fact I like it just the way it is. I even bagged a doe with it this past hunting season, being light weight it worked perfectly for carrying in the dense woods all day.
Old January 1, 2014, 04:48 PM   #10
Pahoo

Sounds like a plan

Quote:
Sure would love to make that trip.
Sounds good and I can still handle it, for about four hours. Seeing Pheasants flushing, would likely bring a tear to my eye. It's been a long time since I've busted those feathers. Seeing it's the 37, I'll take the 12Ga. I'll bring the ammo and clean the birds. We will talk !! ....

Be Safe !!!
Old January 1, 2014, 07:04 PM   #11
Noreaster

I believe the BPS I held was 21 inch barrel and it just seemed too short, but I haven't shot it or anything. Problem is right now I haven't been able to find very much on the shelves to play with. I'm going to Kittery Trading Post this weekend to see what they have. I didn't realize the 37s use the same parts, I may be able to find an old one to buy. The Nova was butt ugly but it seemed to handle nice. I like BigJimP's theory, I willing to go up to about $600.
Old January 2, 2014, 01:23 PM   #12
BigJimP

and good luck in your search ...( sometimes the search, is a big part of the fun !! )....

Each of us has to find that perfect compromise - between overall length, weight, etc....and still get the length of pull right....so you get a good mount and a good solid follow thru.../ the 21" would never work for me....its just way too short and too light ....( I'd be slapping at targets vs making a smooth shot )....

Remember because of the length of the receiver...and Over Under with 28" barrels is about the same overall length as a pump or semi-auto with a 26" barrel.../ but there just aren't any decent O/U's under $ 600 out there.../ but if you happen to run across an older Browning Citori Lightning model O/U ...with either 26" or 28" barrels...maybe one that is not cosmetically looking too good / but still mechanically strong...at least take a look at it, especially if you find a 20ga....\\

like this one .....
http://www.browning.com/products/cat...id=013&tid=461

they're selling for about $ 1,800 now new....but in 1988, I bought a new one for myself for about $ 700 ...basically the same gun / and a lot of us, over the last 5 yrs or so, have been picking up a few of these older models in 12ga and 20ga....refinishing them if necessary ...and holding them for the kids or grandkids...as presents down the road / or as training guns for new shooters....so don't rule them out all together..../ same thing on the field grade Beretta O/U's - also solid guns ...and I think they call them the silver pigeon.../ 25 yrs ago the Beretta was a little cheaper than the equivalent Browning...but both solid long term guns...( although I favor the Browning ..)

Last edited by BigJimP; January 2, 2014 at 01:35 PM.
Old January 11, 2014, 11:44 PM   #13
buckweet

try a Remington LT20 .. i like mine alot.
i think a used one will fit your budget .
the 1100s are bulletproof.

yer' dawg ate my duck.......
Old January 12, 2014, 07:36 PM   #14
Cowboy_mo

I know you're thinking pump but ....

ever think about a Franchi AL 48?

I have an older one in 20 guage with a 26" barrel. It is extremely light and shoots very well. It is the cat's meow on quail, rabbits, and close squirrels. Mine came with an im cyl chock but after years I had Mike Orlen install screw in choke tubes to increase the range for the squirrels.

It is even lighter than the Ithaca 37 as that I what I traded for the Franchi years ago.
Old January 12, 2014, 11:39 PM   #15
drcook

I know you said 20 but I would like to convert you to the ranks of the folks that use 16ga guns. An older Ithaca 37 16ga, meaning pre-1963, is barely heavier than the 20ga and has some ballistic advantages.

That is a 1948 gun that I redid. So far this year, it has accounted for 5 out of 5 fox squirrels that we treed on the 2 times we took my elderly hunting friend's squirrel dog out.

These 5 were taken a little over 2 weeks apart. I got the 2 just before the big freeze hit here in Ohio last week

Last edited by drcook; January 12, 2014 at 11:50 PM.
Old January 13, 2014, 10:32 AM   #16
shortwave

^^^I see I'm not the only fan of the 16ga. Especially the Ithaca Mod. 37 16ga.

Must be an Ohio thing.
Old January 13, 2014, 10:50 AM   #17
eastbank

i bought a browning bss sporter 20ga and a browning upland special in 12ga, both with straight grips. both are light weight with ejectors and select triggers, both were bought used in ex condition and after years of use i can sell them for more than i paid for them. and you can wear those funny looking hunting outfits with them. eastbank.
Old January 14, 2014, 07:35 AM   #18
Noreaster

^Nice
Old January 14, 2014, 10:24 AM   #19
Panfisher

I had a Rem LT-20 Special Field (straight stock) for several years, absolutely the fastest handling shotgun I have ever owned. Unfortunately I simply ran out of good uses for it so it went away in favor of who knows what. I shot doves, quail, rabbits, squirrels, clays etc. just about anything with it, reloads almost exclusively. Had a rabbit load with #4 shot that was very very mild, just enough to reliably cycle the action (as long as I kept it clean), and would roll rabbits as they came by at a dead run. Except for the cost I would love to have a nice O/U 20 ga.
Old January 14, 2014, 10:54 PM   #20
Peppy

Featherlight Model 37

20ga. Took a few birds with this back in the 70's. I have not fired this baby in awhile. I like it as much as my 870 16ga for bird hunting. Near Ohio and Indiana.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ithaca 37 Featherlight (640x480).jpg (33.4 KB, 29 views)