The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 26, 2013, 10:20 AM   #1
Saxtonram

Colt New Service versus Colt Officers Model

Hello

I recently purchased a 1937 Colt Officers 38 Heavy Barrel (Target). I adore it. So I am thinking I want to get another old Colt.

I found a heavily customized (SA/Bull Barrel/...) 1919 Colt New Service in 45 ACP that looks like fun for target/bullseye shooting.

I am just not clear on the difference between these original two models, but presume the Officers is based on the New Service. Can anyone help me understand the connection and differences between these two models?

Thanks
Old February 26, 2013, 01:01 PM   #2
Baba Louie

Please allow dfariswheel to show up and enlighten you on Colt's history and frame sizes, as the Officers is smaller than the New Service as I recall. I'm not sure about time frame but that will factor in as well. Check link out below...

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237598
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old February 26, 2013, 03:01 PM   #3
Bob Wright

The Colt New Service was the large frame double action revovler suited to the largest cartridges, .38-40, .44-40, .45 Colt, .455 etc. It was the largest and heaviest framed Colt until the Anaconda. It was the basis for the M1909 and M1917 Army revovlers, the Shooting Master and the New Service Target.

The Officers Model is a medium framed gun, limited to .38 Special and .41 Long Colt. It came from the Army And Navy Special and is the basis for the Official Police, the various Officers Models, and, ultimately, the Python.

Both of these guns in a 'Thirties issue and in good conditon, were the ultimate of Colt revolvers with beautiful blue finishes and smooth double actions even the Python didn't quite match.

The closest I can describe the finish of these guns is that it compares to the black Carrera glass once so popular in building construction.

Bob Wright