The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

View Poll Results: Which has the best 2A future?
ME 7 19.44%
NH 13 36.11%
VT 10 27.78%
They will all go the way of NY/MA 6 16.67%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 22, 2013, 09:31 AM   #26
MLeake

dayman, while you may have a point about Maine's constitution, it certainly did not stop Michael Chitwood (IIRC) and Portland from passing ordinances barring firearms in public housing, several years ago. I haven't followed that little mess since then, so I do not know if the courts eventually smacked them down.

Gun control has a nasty habit of targeting the poor, through its implementation. Funny how that works...
Old January 22, 2013, 01:07 PM   #27
dayman

That was probably before I was paying attention. I honestly don't know what ever came of it.
I know we just recently passed a law saying that employers cant ban employees from keeping locked guns in their parked cars (unless you work at a school or a federal building).

But all in all it seems like the state has a few (but growing number) people who are for gun control in general, and a huge number of people who don't care as long as their bolt gun is in the clear. Far too few people are able to see - or care about - the big picture.
Things are pretty good right now, but I just don't think the 2a crowd up here is organized enough - or has enough inroads with the general population - to put up much of a fight if there was ever an organized push to take away what we have. I'm positive there would be a lot of very angry people afterward, but that doesn't always translate into productive political advocacy.
Which, is why I put VT above ME in the long term.
Old January 22, 2013, 01:56 PM   #28
h2otoo

Well, I am happy with Maine, for now anyhow. Always worry about what will come. I got to wonder, though, when NH increased the out of state CC permit from a renewal fee of 35 to 100$, was that to decrease the number of permit holders? I am guessing that was the reason, and I am sure it worked for them. I just wont carry there, hence, wont go there. Anyhow, it does seem like a move antis would do.

Bob
Old January 25, 2013, 09:23 AM   #29
johnwilliamson062

The renewal fee may have been to cover costs. I know Sheriff departments here complain they lose money on CCW at $65 or whatever.