The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 19, 2011, 01:24 PM   #1
sigcurious

Clerk shoots robber/baby snatcher

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44961029.../#.Tp8Rzpwu5UM

"As he fled the store, he tried to grab the baby, but couldn't get her loose from the stroller straps. When he began carrying it out, Easterly, as she had learned in a training course, shot the man once in his knee."

I could only imagine the panic that would set in seeing your child snatched by a BG, certainly speaks to having training to fall back on in a high stress situation. I am very curious to see how this all plays out and what additional information is released with time.
Old October 19, 2011, 01:53 PM   #2
CWKahrFan

Wow... Died from a knee-shot... Must've opened a big vein/artery... Mysterious ways...
Old October 19, 2011, 02:02 PM   #3
sigcurious

I was thinking the same thing, but who knows if it was actually the knee or higher up. Either way an amazing shot under stress.
Old October 19, 2011, 02:02 PM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

What kind of class taught her to shoot someone in the knee!?

I mean, situationally dependent, but they cover that in a course? "If someone steals yer baby, here's what you do..."
Old October 19, 2011, 02:16 PM   #5
CWKahrFan

Maybe John Conner taught her course...
Old October 19, 2011, 02:32 PM   #6
Don H

Quote:
As he fled the store, he tried to grab the baby, but couldn't get her loose from the stroller straps. When he began carrying it out, Easterly, as she had learned in a training course, shot the man once in his knee.
http://www2.tbo.com/news/breaking-ne...atc-ar-273038/

If he was carrying the baby anywhere near his chest, the leg shot would probably have been the safest one (for the baby) she could have taken. Perhaps her training course emphasized taking the safest shot to stop the perpetrator. I imagine, if he was pushing the stroller out the door in a normal fashion, she would have aimed higher but that's just an assumption.
Old October 20, 2011, 09:13 PM   #7
OkieGentleman

Knee Shot

Good for her! I hope she walks away clean from this, protecting her child should justify any shooting.
Old October 20, 2011, 09:43 PM   #8
Red Dog

Maybe the knee was completely exposed and would endanger the baby.
Old October 20, 2011, 09:47 PM   #9
Casimer

Quote:
What kind of class taught her to shoot someone in the knee!?
They teach that in the "So you want to own a convenience store" class.

Nice shot placement by the mom. I suspect that Don H is right, and that she'd taken the safest shot that she saw available in order to stop him from leaving the store with her baby.
Old October 23, 2011, 10:06 AM   #10
chris in va

What is it with Florida? Seems a rather large percentage of SD stories come from that state. Is it really that bad?
Old October 23, 2011, 10:18 AM   #11
hardworker

There's also the possibility that in her adrenaline rush, she just happened to hit him in the knee. Pistols shoot low if you jerk the trigger.
Old October 23, 2011, 12:35 PM   #12
war_elephant

There are major arteries that go through the knee, hit one right, and the bg will bleed out quickly, major junction in lower leg, veins, arteries, blood vessels, and even if he survives, he wont run from a crime scene again when some idiot liberal judge lets him out on bail.
Old October 23, 2011, 01:28 PM   #13
birdshot

center mass

Center mass does not always mean chest.
Old October 23, 2011, 05:05 PM   #14
Ditto_95

Our buddy we call shakey shot a perp in the leg. He told us he was shooting for his shoulder.
He was shaking so bad, he put the pistol against the door jam and let fly.
The perp left, later arrested and jailed.
Old October 23, 2011, 05:28 PM   #15
grubbylabs

I feel bad for the mom. Not every one is hard wired to deal with shooting someone. And it is a heavy thing to take a life. I am glad that she was able to protect herself and save her baby. I hope she recovers and is able to get back into the swing of things.

However, I think I would have been so ****** I would have shot him again getting my kid back. I can tolerate a lot, but don't mess with my kids. Money and or objects can be replaced, that is what insurance is for. But my family is off-limits.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old October 23, 2011, 06:08 PM   #16
C0untZer0

I still don't understand what he died from, unless she totally tore out all the blood vessels going to the lower leg and he bled to death, but that's one hell of a shot - more like a shotgun wound than a handgun bullet.

It doesn't say what she shot him with.
Old October 23, 2011, 06:47 PM   #17
MLeake

Could have been a hit to the femoral artery.

Could have been a hit to the bottom end of the femur, which shot bone splinters through a bunch of blood vessels, possibly including the femoral artery.

Could have been an air bubble got into a ruptured vein, and caused fatal problems downstream.

Any number of things can happen when a foreign object is propelled into the body. Bear in mind, the gunshot itself is considered lethal force, regardless of where on the body the shot was aimed. There's good reason for that.
Old October 24, 2011, 01:10 AM   #18
jimpeel

The story I read stated that he tried to wheel the stroller out the door and she put him down. A knee shot would have meant that the round went past the baby's head if it was still in the stroller. If he did pick the stroller up and she did shoot him in the knee then she must have blown out a femoral artery and he bled out.

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

"Three thousand people died on Sept. 11 because eight pilots were killed"
-- former Northwest Airlines pilot Stephen Luckey
Old October 24, 2011, 03:08 AM   #19
youngunz4life

am interested in knowing if she shot to wound or hit him in knee by accident

yeah leg shots can be bad. remember that washington redskins player a few years back(sean taylor)? A legwound turned fatal for a young man in great shape:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,313041,00.html

story doesn't reveal as much as I remember because it focuses on his fame+mourning a little more...I couldn't find the scientific article
Old October 24, 2011, 04:13 AM   #20
GM2

what happened here is called "poetic justice". Good job Mom!
Old October 24, 2011, 04:31 AM   #21
youngunz4life

I agree GM2. This might have tried to spare this BG(only speculation), but a decision might have been made instead in the larger, overall picture that this wasn't going to happen.
Old October 24, 2011, 05:13 AM   #22
Brit

Knee capping, Florida style

I think the many shooting of Bad Guys here in Florida? We have a CCW ability, we have the Castle Doctrine law. And even without a CCWL, a gun in your business needs no license. Or in your car.

Did you see the reference to the high counter? I bet she floated over that! Gun in hand! Taking a Mothers Baby, he must be mental. He is dead! we will never know, Aye.

The investigation is ongoing? Sure it is, the gun has most likely been returned, cleaned, and a box of Ammunition with it!
Old October 24, 2011, 05:52 AM   #23
youngunz4life

from what I understand - and I am not even referring to the fact that she shot and killed a person - this woman has been greatly effected to say the least with what happened with her baby. I heard she is still in shock about the baby part.
Old October 24, 2011, 06:09 AM   #24
C0untZer0

I think this story would have made the news no matter where it happened - Florida, California, Texas - wherever. A mom killing a bay snatcher is a great story.

You seldom hear stories about stores being robbed in Chicago because all of the merchants in bad areas have already given up on the notion of the police protecting them or of being able to protect themselves. So they spend thousands of dollars enclosing cash register area in bullet-proof glass. In some cases, stores have their merchandise under plexiglass.

Apart from those stores - which don't really get robbed, regular stores getting robbed is pretty routine. Once things get routine, they're hardly newsworthy any more. A ot of stores get robbed in the Chicagoland area every day, it doesn't make national news, it hardly even makes local news. They do get put on the crime blotter but that's about it.

If Illinois passes carry legislation, I think you will hear more stories coming out of Illinois about citizens wounding and or killing criminals as they exercise their constitutional rights to protect themselves.
Old October 24, 2011, 06:13 AM   #25
C0untZer0

One thing they said in the Sean Taylor story is:

Quote:
Trauma experts said a serious wound to this large artery, leading from the abdomen through the upper thigh, is among the most difficult to fix and can quickly drain the body of blood. Too long a blood loss prevents oxygen from reaching the brain and vital organs.
Maybe she didn't hit this guy in the knee. News reporters are so stupid sometimes, they hardly ever get anything right.