The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 20, 2009, 08:18 PM   #1
Natertot84

Ruger 10/22 cycling issue

A few months ago, I purchased a brand new Ruger 10/22. The first thing I did was clean the barrel and lightly cleaned the receiver area (without disassembly). I then went to the range and put about 100 rounds through it with only one hiccup which was ammo. I had a few other types of ammo on hand and had zero problems with them. After the range time, I went home and disassembled and cleaned the rifle per owners manual guidlines. I then reassembled and dry fired which checked OK. When I took it to the range the next time is when I learned I had an issue. After almost every shot, the bolt sticks to the rear. I have to drop the magazine, the fiddle with the bolt to go forward, reinsert mag and shoot till it occurs again anywhere from 1-3 rounds latter. Did I over lube something or a slight reassembly error? Any help would be great since it is driving me nuts!!!!!!!
Old August 20, 2009, 09:01 PM   #2
DnPRK

There is a manually activated bolt hold-open in front of the trigger guard beside the safety button. Make sure it isn't hung up.
Old August 20, 2009, 10:10 PM   #3
Natertot84

Thanks, I believe it does has something to do with the manual bolt stop. I don't think it is disengaging as it should. Thanks for the step in the right direction!
Old August 20, 2009, 11:08 PM   #4
essohbe

Hey Natertot84,

Besides the manual hold-open button, make sure the firing pin went back correctly also.
One time it came out of the "slot" it rides in (You'll see what I mean, you can't miss it if you have the assembly out of the reciever) when I was cramming the bolt and spring back in mine after cleaning and it made the bolt stick.
Old August 21, 2009, 11:39 AM   #5
Pahoo

A few variables here but it all leads to the bolt stop. Next time it hangs open, check it's position. Sounds like it is engaging for whatever reason. These bolt stops don't usually give you a problem in themselves. When you shoot, are you staying clear of it's manual activation? From what you posted, I'm going to assume that you did not drop the trigger housing. The fix shouuld be uncomplicated. Let us know how you make out.

Be Safe !!!!
Old August 21, 2009, 01:07 PM   #6
CortJestir

Agree with everything that's been said. This should be an easy fix hopefully. I'd go so far as to detail strip the trigger group housing (it's not as hard as it seems!) to look for crud or burrs that may be interfering with the bolt hold-open.

This tutorial page shows you how to install an aftermarket auto-release bolt plate, but in so doing, it will show you how to detail strip down to the factory bolt release plate.
Old August 22, 2009, 12:04 PM   #7
Natertot84

I think my issue is that of what essohbee has sugestted. I have played with the manual hold with no improving results. I plan on dissambly tomorrow to reinsert the bolt assembly. I'll probably strip the trigger group and detail clean it as well since it'll be out anyway. I will post the results tomorrow evening. Thanks for all the helps guys. You are all wonderful! -Nate
Old August 22, 2009, 04:19 PM   #8
9x19

Also make sure the guide rod is correctly positioned in the recess at the rear of the receiver... if not, it could be binding against the bolt.
Old August 23, 2009, 09:13 PM   #9
Natertot84

hey guys, I want to thank everyone for their help. I just got done breaking the rifle down and the issue was quite simple. There is a pin that holds the manual bolt hold lever in place. The pin was partially out of place and stuck at an angle. I used a flat tip screwdriver to realign it and then a brass punch to push it in (without usage of a hammer). Once I reassembled the rifle, I cycled two mags (ten rounds each) through it and not one hiccup. I appreciate the pointers and the fact I didn't have to pay a gunsmith. This means I can go on to purchase a scope for her! Thanks again. -Nate
Old November 7, 2012, 12:33 PM   #10
WetChicken

The bolt was sticking or not cycling on mine and I realized I had the bolt release spring in backwards making the release protrude above the receiver.

I realize this is an old thread, but it is a top Google result.
Old November 7, 2012, 07:31 PM   #11
johnwilliamson062

I had a similar problem the first time I reassembled my 10/22. There is something in the process that is counter-intuitive. I took it down and re-assembled as I watched a youtube video on the subject and it worked fine.