The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 7, 2009, 08:05 PM   #1
Farmland

25-06 My First Rifle Reloads

I’m new to rifle reloading and I have had great success with my first reloads though it took me a little trial & error to produce the first ones. I have reloaded pistol rounds since 1993. It has been a simple process put powder in the Dillon 650 and out popped round after round.

I never had the desire to load for my rifles. However I needed some 25-06 rounds and after a quick trip to the store I was floored at the price of $50 for a box of 85-grain Noslers Ballistic tip rounds. These are the only ones that I have had great success shooting ground hogs with on the farm. Well I wasn’t going to pay that for 20 rounds of ammunition.

Then I remembered that a friend had given me a Lee single stage press a few years ago. So I bought the dies along with a powder measure and trimmer and I was set. I settled on using Alliant Reloader 19 with the 85 grain Nosler Ballistic tips.

Now came the trail & error, how much lube to use, what over all length among other things. I soon found out that I needed another shell holder for the press, I had one for the hand held primer system, and of course it is different from the one in the press. After about 10 rounds through the resizer I stuck me first case. Well let’s say that was an experience as I tried to drive it out with a punch and hammer. Yes now I made another trip to the store for one of those case removal kits. The kit worked but I had damaged the prod and neck seizer in the process of my first attempt. No problem back to the store and I bought another set of dies, yeah I fund out later that a call to RCBS and they would ship me a free part.

Everything went well and I was read to load the bullet on the first 20 rounds. How much crimp? I didn’t know so I gave it very little to none. I test fired 5 shells and they worked well.

So the next day I go to hunt some hogs and the action will not close at first. I gave the shell a little push and it went in with no problems. I shot my first two hogs that day. However I still was troubled with the reason why I stuck a shell and had some problems with the chambering of the shell. It was a simple solution, I needed a little more lube and I forgot to give the die that extra 1/3 to ¼ turn after it hits the shell holder.

So I corrected my mistakes and produced 50 new rounds. I still didn’t know about the crimp so again I gave it very little to none. Today I put about 10 shells in my pocket and went hog hunting. I had 6 shots and 6 hogs. The rounds are very accurate in placing headshots between 200 & 250 yards. I was very happy with the finished product that there is no need to try and fine tune the load. I guess that is a little luck.

I expected cheaper rounds, which they are but was pleasantly surprised with the accuracy.
They are cheaper and considering I shoot about 200 rounds plus each summer even the extra dies, powder measure and case trimmer will be paid for since I only have to buy powder, bullets and primers. I figure each box is costing me about $20 for those 20 shells they hold. However I can't buy the kind of accuracy that I now have.

Last edited by Farmland; July 7, 2009 at 08:41 PM. Reason: spelling errors
Old July 7, 2009, 08:34 PM   #2
jlbpa

Lucky you to have so many hogs around!

I made some 25-06 reloads with 52 grains of imr 4007 ssc and 75 grain hornady vmax. What the bullet did to a small vermin was amazing. Practically turned it inside out. Probably work for your hogs too.
Old July 7, 2009, 10:16 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

Glad the rounds did what you wanted. That's always gratifying.

For other beginners reading here, I'll mention that you left out describing working your manual loads up from low starting loads. I assume you did that, since you mentioned more rounds than it took to kill the hogs. It's the only safe practice. I've seen published manual mid-range loads cause leaky primers and sticking bolts and other pressure signs on some guns.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 7, 2009, 10:34 PM   #4
Farmland

I have been reloading for so long I thought that was just a given fact. It works the same way with pistol or rifle reloading. I guess one must be careful on the details. Yes I actual started at the minimum and did a test fire of 5 rounds it worked well. I do the usual check the primers, cases etc. I just left that part of the story out.

In the end I was just a little above the minimum charge but well below the max charge. Since that charge worked well at long range I felt no need to fine tune by increasing the powder towards max or do anything else different. I may tinker with it later when I have more time.

I always load 5 test rounds at any powder setting or change then fire them to see how the load reacts. I don't know why I settle on 5 but it has worked well for me over the years. Since I can reload and then fire them on the spot it doesn't take me long to approve a load. My range is open 24/7 and is dual inside /outside. However the thread wasn't really a full detailed explanation on load development. I would really need much more space for everything I go through.

However moving into the single stage with rifle bottle neck was a little different than loading straight wall pistol/revolver shells. However the testing of load development remains the same. Including updating of some loading books.

Thanks for the reminder of the details for load development for those that might not know that is the most important part of the process.
Old July 7, 2009, 10:36 PM   #5
Dipper2

My 25-06 recipie book

Here is the word document I have of every posted 25-06 load I have seen that seems worth reproducing - the only one that is not here is my varmint load - 55 grains of IMR-4350 with a 90 gr HPBT Sierra. It alos works well with 54.5.
I have not yet tried any of these loads, but I have all the makings now except the retumbo powder.
I bought some IMR 4895 today to try as well.

I also have heard AA-3100 is a great accuracy producer and have some of that.

I'm currently using the 25-06 M700 with a 30" Krieger barrel. For over 500 yds, I use 115gr Berger VLD(BC=.522) with 57 gr N560. Chronographed to just shy of 3400fps and pressure tested(peak strain) to about 65000psi. Get pretty good groups as well. For the closer in targets faster is better and a 75 gr. VMAX will do. However, these will fragment in mid air at high velocities. In my experience about 3900-4000fps is enough to make these fly apart. Unfortunately, Nosler doesn't make a 75 gr. bullet.

This is the 87-grain Hornady Spire point pushed at 3512 fps behind 59.0 grains of H4831.

The 115-grain partition or its 120 grain big brother would be an excellent choice if you need deep penetration on large animals. However, my choice for the best bone-breaking and deep penetrating bullet is the 115-grain Barnes-X at 3100 fps with 55 grains of RL-22

I've used quite a few powders for the 25-06, everything from H4895 with 75g bullets, to RL-22, IMR 7828, H1000, and Retumbo for 115-125's.

I just recently played with some Retumbo with some 100g NBT's from my rem 700, 24" shilen barreled 25-06 and was pleasantly rewarded with 3500fps and 2" groups at 400 yards!! I am using WLR primers. You can use a WLRM or any other mag primer, just start 1g lower and work your way up.

WIth 115g VLD and Retumbo, I am getting 3275fps and 1-2" groups at 400 yards. That was what intrigued me to try Retumbo with 100g pills.

I use to love RL-19, RL-22 or H4831 in my 25-06's, but this Retumbo is impressive! I am getting 150-200fps more velocity, without sacrificing one bit in accuracy.

WIth the 100's I am using 60.5g of Retumbo, with the 115's I am using 58.5g of Retumbo. I am using Winchester cases and WLR primers, bullets seated to touch the lands. These are upper end loads in my rifle, so definately back off a few grains.

I've used the 25-06 over the last 10 years to take quite a few of Oregons varmints and big game out to 600 yards with great results. Its a fantastic cartridge, accurate, flat shooting, mild recoil, and hits a lot harder then what the books say.

62 grains of Hodgdon Retumbo powder and Speer 87 grain T-N-T bullets

Got out yesterday and shot a few loads at 400 yards. Wind was maybe a couple MPH from the left. Temp of 40 degrees. Shot from a bench. 3 shot groups at 400 yards. Loads were 100g NBT's, 60g, 60.5g, 61g of Retumbo, Winchester case and Winchester WLR primer. Think I will stick with 61g for 3540fps and 1 3/4" at 400 yards. Will be an awesome LR coyote and will still do the job for deer.

All 3 loads were fired with no scope changes. Went up 4.1 MOA from a 100 yards zero, 3500fps. Wind was blowing from the left a couple MPH. The loads are marked with a circle for 60g, vertical line for 60.5g, and a horizontal line for 61g.
Old July 7, 2009, 10:37 PM   #6
Dipper2

The above post represents months of online searching and cross corelation to the books.
Enjoy.
Old July 8, 2009, 12:04 AM   #7
Doodlebugger45

I think Farmland has a natural gift for telling an interesting story. Well done! I enjoy hearing the stories like that.