The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old February 5, 2009, 11:38 AM   #1
px4man

Cabela's last ad

The Jan 22, 2009 ad for Cabela's newspaper ad featured a Remington Model 5, 22 long rifle laminate stock for $189.99 on the front page. On Sat. morning before I drove the 60 miles to Cabela's in Buda, Tx I called to confirm that they had one in stock. The lady at the gun counter said she would check stock. When she got back to me, she said they only had one rifle, and it was on hold for another customer. Why would they put this rifle on the front page of a 2 week, 16 page Ad if they only had one to sell? I emailed Cabela's home office and they responded that they were sorry, they did not know why they didn't have one to sell, and they were sorry I could not purchase this rifle and they were unable to issue a rain check on firearms. Be sure to call Cabela's before you drive any distance, to check stock.I think this is a very poor business practice.
Has anyone else had a problem like this with Cabela's?
Old February 21, 2009, 10:13 AM   #2
goodspeed(TPF)

Yes. The Remington R-25 was also in their ad. I was told they hadn't had any for over 6 months. It's BS I say.

http://www.thepiratefleet.com/index.shtml
Old February 21, 2009, 12:10 PM   #3
luvsasmith

This is a horrible practice that some retailers use quite regularly. I worked in two very large hardware stores as a manager for 5 and 7 years respectively (think orange, then red white and blue) and you could always tell what would be in their next ad as you were restricted on the quantity you could order for those products.
Old February 21, 2009, 07:41 PM   #4
Salty1

I had Dick's Sporting goods do the same thing on 9mm ammo. I had the clerk get a manager then explained about false advertising and he agreed to issue me a rain check, so I told him I wanted 2 cases. I went back around 6 weeks later and they still did not have the ammo. Once again I spoke to a manager whoo agreed to give me American Eagle for $8.00 a box, so out I walked with 20 of them. Be persistant and if they claim theit policy is no rain checks on guns or ammo contact the Attorney General's office regarding false advertising. You may be amazed what the store will do to avoid that call.
Old February 23, 2009, 01:59 AM   #5
Grimlok

I had a similar experience with the R-25. Advertisment came out, Sale started on a Friday, I went on Friday, not a single R-25 in the store.

I have now realized that Cabela's is just one of the many Marketing Monsters in the world and will not shop there again.
Old February 23, 2009, 09:16 AM   #6
Chief Engineer

I'm sorry sir, but we just sold our last $189 rifle, but for an additional $269, we will set you up with this beauty! The old bait and switch. They all do it.