The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old October 28, 2006, 07:04 AM   #1
dlewis

S&W Chiefs Special - more information

Hello Everyone,

I would like to find out some information on the gun of a 76 year old friend that just passed. I have found out some information but was hoping I could find out some more. I believe it is a S&W Chiefs Special with a 2 in barrel with a round butt. It is a small blued pistol, labeled "38 S. & W. SPL." on the barrel. On the main part of the gun it is stamped "MADE IN THE USA", "MARCAS REGISTRADAS", "SMITH & WESSON", "SPRINGFIELD, MASS". On the other side, it is stamped with a S&W Trade Mark (in a circle). The serial number on the buttom of the grip is 32925. There appears to be a space between the 3 and the 2925. It is in very good condition.

It also has a black holster that you can put a belt through and it is stamped "B 825".

Any additional information as the specific age, model and approximate value would be very helpful.

Thank you.

Darin Lewis
Old October 28, 2006, 03:27 PM   #2
RJay

The serial number range in 1953 stared at 28916 and and started in 1955 55050,. So it was made in 1953/1954. actually it is a Pre Model 36 Chiefs Special. The SC of F gives a value of 250 in exc and 200 in very good.People like these guns so there should be no problem selling it. But if you take it to a gun shop to sell they will only offer you 125 to 140. Like trading in your car, the dealer has to make a profit. The holster, hard to sell by itself. If I don't have anything else that will fit it I always throw the holster in on the deal to sweeten it.
Old October 29, 2006, 07:13 AM   #3
dlewis

RJay,

Thanks for the info.

I am primarily a wingshooter and I am not very familiar with revolvers or pistols. I did not see a safety on this gun -- is that correct? Is this typical for revolvers & pistols?

I would like to get a revolver or pistol -- On my 870 Wingmasters, I am used to taking off the safety just before I shoot. I was just assuming this would be the case on a handgun...

Darin

Last edited by dlewis; October 29, 2006 at 07:54 AM.
Old October 29, 2006, 08:31 PM   #4
RJay

On some old European revolvers had safetys, but off the top of my head, I can't think of an American revolver that has a manual safety. Because you don't carry a revolver with the hammer cocked , because it is double or trigger action. The only way it can fire is a long double action pull ( on double action revolvers).
Old October 30, 2006, 06:57 AM   #5
dlewis

Questions anwered -- will pass along the info...

Thanks RJay, your responses have been very helpful. I will pass along the information to the family. I am sure they will find it helpful as well.

Darin