The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 2, 2006, 07:46 PM   #1
OneInTheChamber

How do you reload? I need some advice!

Hey guys, I've been practicing reloading for my first IDPA match and I had a few ?'s.

I have small hands and cannot press the mag release on my G17 with my right hand without shifting the gun out the web of my right hand thumb and pointer finger. I then grab the empty with the my left, exchange it for a fresh one, plug it in, and release the slide. Is this alright? Or is my other way better:

Leave the gun in the web of my right hand thumb and pointer finger and use my left hand to press the mag release, grab the empty, exchange it with a fresh one, plug it in and release the slide.

They both have about the same reload with retention times at around 4 seconds from slidelock to slide release.

Thanks,

Chase
Old January 2, 2006, 09:41 PM   #2
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

I would imagine that, with a little practice, you can do it pretty fast with your left hand.

I do wonder why you're going for slide lock though. It takes practice, but learn to count your shots. When the last round chambers, don't fire it. Instead, drop the empty mag to the deck and insert a full one, and continue firing. No slide release necessary, and it shaves a bit more than a full second off your time.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old January 2, 2006, 10:10 PM   #3
Ronny

I agree with the Cap'n.
Old January 3, 2006, 03:01 PM   #4
araebisu
Registration in progress

idpa wants you to save your empties, i believe. so, you shouldnt drop the mag to the ground. so, you got that right. i think maybe you should have found a pistol that fit your hand better. there are slimmer grip profiles than offered by the g17 out there. can you possibly shift your grip a little? i had to do that, and it actually improved my shooting as well. if not, i think you have got the right technique for you, so just practice, practice, practice until it is as smooth and fast as you can make it. smooth comes first, because smooth is fast. so dont try to go as fast as you can, make it smooth, develop the muscle memory. the speed will come on its own. on another note, stop releasing the slide. slingshot it everytime
Old January 3, 2006, 03:18 PM   #5
OneInTheChamber

Why would I need to slingshot it? Isn't it faster to just release it? IDPA has three reloads: slidelock--> reload with retention, slidelock-->dump empty, and saving a partial and inserting a fresh.

I wanted the G17 cause it shoots well in my hand, just my thumb is 2mm too short to easily depress the mag release.

Thanks,

Chase
Old January 3, 2006, 04:14 PM   #6
knightkrawler00

Shift your grip to hit the button. This weekend I timed some mag changes. From concealment I was in the 1.75 second range, this is with no retention of old mag. I have to "flip" the gun a little to get to the mag button, as soon as the mag clears, my hand goes back to a proper grip as the new mag comes in. If the slide is locked back, my support hand thumb releases the slide. Getting your support hand off the gun and to the new mag is a big part of going faster on mag changes, leaving it their to hit the release just wastes time.
Old January 3, 2006, 04:19 PM   #7
RickB

Most Glocks I've seen in IDPA competition will automatically drop the slide when you slam the mag home; no need to manipulate anything.
Do Glocks have ambi mag releases? Or, reversible? If so, try dropping the mag with your trigger finger. Two benefits: Your finger is plenty long to hit the release without shifting, and you can't possibly have your finger in the trigger guard if it's busy hitting the mag release.
That said, most shooters do have to shift their grip to reach the mag release with their thumb. Watch a video clip of Rob Leatham some time; he tosses the gun around hard to reach the button, then flips it back as the mag is seated.
It can be faster to drop the slide using the slide release, but I've found for consistency's sake, slingshotting can be "better". No need to learn where a particular gun's slide release is, just grab the slide and go, regardless of make or model.
IDPA doesn't want you to save your empties, they want you to save the rounds in a partially-depleted magazine, if you are performing an "administrative" reload. If the clock is running, you'll be doing slidelock reloads almost exclusively. You may still find retention reloads specified in shooting drills (classifier match, and other), so they should be practiced.