The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 10, 2001, 09:39 PM   #1
HunterWarrior

Everytime I wipe my Parkerized weapons down with a rag or paper towel, I have fuzz all over tem. What is a cheap lint free material that can be used to wipe down guns?

Thanks

HW
Old April 11, 2001, 01:59 AM   #2
Jim V

My local car parts store had/has white cotton cloths that look like mini diapers. I bought a couple of packages of them andI have not had any lint problem. I washed them a couple of times before using them for the first time just to make sure there was no lint.

The cloths are about 10" square and hemmed.
Old April 11, 2001, 02:04 AM   #3
Romulus

I'd like to know myself...I've tried a whole bunch, from old underpants to expensive flannel patches from Brownells, all because that fuzz drives me up the wall.

The only thing that works for me is to use any good patch, t-shirt material or flannel or whatever, do the usual wipe down, and then brush off the fuzz with a dedicated cheap garden-variety paintbrush, small sized. I use those cheap semi-stiff polyolefin brushes, about two bucks a pop.

It actually orks great and does not remove the residual oil that you want to stay put in the matrix of the parkerizing, stuff that you would otherwise soak up by excessive patting down with cloth material - you can see by the sheen that the oil is still on the gun...
Old April 11, 2001, 06:40 AM   #4
Clemson

Lowes, Home Depot, etc., sell "lint-free" cloths in fairly large, bulk packages in the paint department. The stuff appears to be T-shirt material cut up into squares or sometimes into odd shapes. I would assume it is mill-ends from a cloth manufacturer. For $3-5 you can get enough cloth to satisfy your cleaning needs for a couple of years.
Old April 11, 2001, 06:43 AM   #5
Herr Walther

Bushmaster recommends a black lint-free cloth. There's no such thing as a perfect lint-free cloth, but black will be hidden on Parkerization.
"...a historian asked what had happened to the German people for them to accept a criminal government. Unfortunately, nothing needed to happen. In nations across the world people accept government crime."
-------------------------------------
"In democracies as well as dictatorships, subordinates illegally obey their rulers. Subordinates who remain true to their oaths of office by opposing their rulers are rare."
Old April 11, 2001, 08:41 AM   #6
Coltdriver

Call wilsoncombat and buy a silicone cloth.

They cost about 5 dollars. I have used one in my gun bag for over a year and have another in my cleaning kit. I just purchased my third one after the one in my kit has been used for over two years.

You may also be able to get one at a good fishing supply store. They are also called a rod and reel cloth.

They are impregnated with a silicon that provides a very thin, invisible and temporary layer of silicon on your pistol.

I wipe down all of my pistols with this cloth after shooting at the range and after I clean them.

No lint and just a little extra protection for between sessions.
Old April 12, 2001, 07:25 PM   #7
KenReb

Lint free

I bought some at Wally-world one time, they were made from flour sacks. They were cheap, ( about $3 for 10 ) or something like that. Found them in the section with dish towels.
Old April 12, 2001, 09:00 PM   #8
Mike Baugh

I use a black wash cloth , it works really well on my parkerized weapons . Good luck , Mike..
Old April 13, 2001, 12:54 AM   #9
Ledbetter

Believe it or not

What works best is old cotton golf shirts (like the kind with the alligator) torn into rags.