The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 29, 2007, 02:17 PM   #1
onesiphorus

Just Starting

I want to learn to reload and will be loading 45 acp and .223 rem. I need advice on equipment and what to do first.
Old October 29, 2007, 04:14 PM   #2
Red_Eagle

Check out the sticky Johnny Guest wrote. Lots of good information in there. Get a few reloading manuals. I'd recommend the Lyman 48th edition and the manual for what ever brand of bullets you're going to use. I use a lot of Hornady so refer to thier manual a lot.
Get a good set of scale. My RCBS 505 is great. Very simular to the RCBS 502. I inspected the Hornady / Pacific scale a Gander Mountain. Never used one, but it looks like a winner and has a lot of fans.
Old October 29, 2007, 04:32 PM   #3
robc

I read and read and read and read about reloading... but until I just went and got a kit (RCBS Rockchucker), I never understood much of what I was reading.

I've reloaded for .45acp and 9mm now, and the strait-case handgun ammo is easy enough, but even for that I had a lot of questions once I tried to start the process.

It's not hard to do - and it's not hard to understand. It's just hard to figure out for yourself. The instructions seem to be rather jargonistic and technical.

The best advice I got (advice I should have followed) was to get a mentor who could look over my shoulder. Sans that, just go get a Rockchucker and components and start working. BE CAREFUL!
Old October 29, 2007, 04:58 PM   #4
CrustyFN

Quote:
I want to learn to reload and will be loading 45 acp and .223 rem. I need advice on equipment and what to do first.
How many of each caliber do you need to load every week or month? That will make a big difference on the type of press you will need. With a single stage you will be able to load around 50 to 75 per hour. With the Lee classic turret you will be able to load around 200 per hour. With a progressive you will be able to load around 400 + per hour. The faster the press the more money except for the classic turret, you can buy one cheaper than most other brand single stage presses. I agree with the others. Read first and figure out your needs so you don't buy a press that you will out grow in three weeks.
Rusty
Old October 29, 2007, 05:12 PM   #5
cavscout515

I just started reloading as well. I bought most of my stuff used, internet pawn shops etc. I just reccomend buying a kit whatever you go with. You will save time, money, and aggravation in the long run. I have a rock chucker that works great for me, but I will probably only reload 100 rounds a week or so. Good luck!
Old October 29, 2007, 05:16 PM   #6
Red_Eagle

I figure you want to reload 45 for practice ammo. What is the 223 for? Plinking or varmint/target work? Also, what type of action is it? semi-auto, bolt?
Old October 30, 2007, 12:05 PM   #7
Leeman

It's very simple.

Buy a Lee loader. You get every thing you need to reload except the components. Then buy the powder, primers, and bullets for the load you desire from the charge table included.

Last edited by Leeman; October 31, 2007 at 07:26 AM.
Old October 30, 2007, 12:35 PM   #8
Smokey Joe

What to do first...

Onesiphorus--The FIRST thing any person new to any activity should do is to acquire as much kowledge as possible about that activity. So you need to begin by Doing Your Homework.

That being the case, you want The Standard Text on The Subject. In reloading this is The ABC's of Reloading put out by Krause Publishing. Get it @ yr local sptg gds sto, gun sho, the I'net, or order from publisher, www.krause.com

This one book covers all the bases on reloading, and is useful as you progress further along as well--Has much info beyond the beginner stuff. Belongs on every reloader's bookshelf, well thumbed, IMHO.

Anyhow, get that and start reading. You'll know a lot more as to what equipment you want/need/don't want when you're done.

You'll also need a reloading manual. These are like cookbooks, that is, they have the amounts of which powder goes with which bullet, etc, etc. Don't get creative with the recipies in the manual, unless you want to blow up yr Old Betsy and take an ambulance ride to prove the manual was right. My go-to manual is the Lyman's 48th Edition, but there are several good ones out there. I like Lyman because since Lyman does NOT make bullets nor powder, their manual is not slanted toward a particular manufacturer. Also, each of the makers has a website with reloading data, and most of them put out a little freebie manual for the asking. The big manuals by Barnes, Sierra, Nosler, et al. are very good recipie sources for the particular product line in question.

So. You asked. What to do first. Oh, and welcome to The Magnificent Obsession--Reloading.

--Smokey Joe
Old October 30, 2007, 02:05 PM   #9
onesiphorus

Thanks

I appreciate all of the advice. My 223 reloading will be for varment and target and my .45 will be for ptarget practice and self defense. I do use 223 for plinking with a saiga, I use mostly wolf etc. fo that. I usually shoot every 2 weeks. About 100-200 rounds of 45acp and maybe 40-50 rounds through my Howa.
Old October 30, 2007, 04:52 PM   #10
Red_Eagle

For precision rifle (i.e. varminting) a single stage press would probably turn out the most accurate ammo. Not to say a turret or progressive couldnt either. Only problem (if its a problem?) is turning out 200 rds of 45 ACP on a single stage could take a while. If you wanted to use a turret or progressive a small cartridge like the 223 remington shouldn't beat it up that bad, if at all.
Old October 30, 2007, 06:54 PM   #11
CrustyFN

Quote:
If you wanted to use a turret or progressive a small cartridge like the 223 remington shouldn't beat it up that bad, if at all.
I load 223 on a Lee classic turret and it doesn't get beat up at all. It is a very sturdy press made of cast iron and steel. The powder charge and OAL stay consistant from start to finish.
Rusty
Old October 30, 2007, 09:29 PM   #12
bigautomatic

Best to ask yourself how much time do you have to spend at the reloading bench. If you have plenty of time, then you don't really need to spend more money on something like a Dillon or similar. A good turret press can be a safe bet, and is a little faster than a regular single stage. I am kind of partial to the ol' single stage Rockchucker. If you do decide to go with a single stage or turrett, you will save a ton of money buying a kit instead of buying pieces separately. I have found that a quaility powder measure is one of the most important pieces on my bench as far as saving time and headaches. A measure that throws consistant charges is worth its weight in gold to me.

BTW, you picked two great cartridges to learn with. Tons of components and data out there for both of them.