The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 18, 2005, 12:16 AM   #1
farmall

What do I need

About 7-8 years ago, I did some work for a guy who payed me with a NIB Cabelas copy of a Colt Navy .44 caliber revolver. He threw in several hundred round balls and a can of Pyrodex FFFG equivalent. I have been shooting and reloading for several years, but know next to nothing about BP.
My main questions are: How many grains of this powder do I load under one of these balls? Not sure of their weight. Is this powder suitable?
Which caps do I need?
This replica was made for Cabelas by Pietta, are they any good?
What kind of accuracy should I expect?
Sorry for the long post, but I'm new to this and don't want to get myself in trouble. Thanks to all who reply, Andy
Old December 18, 2005, 05:59 AM   #2
Smokin_Gun

Orger a starter kit for the 1851 Navy .44 if you al ready have caps and powder that 'll git er dun....

Merry Christmas
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old December 19, 2005, 12:13 AM   #3
gmatov

Farmall,

You say you have everything but the caps. Buy a tin of Remington # 11 caps at your local store, Gander Mountain, Cabela's, Wal-Mart, your nearest gunshop.

A powder measure adjustable to 20 grains or more as the minimum, will probably go to 100 or more maximum. Zero at minimum would be better, don't know if you can buy one

Try 20 to 30 grains as a starting load, charge the chambers, slip a ball into each chamber before it reaches the rammer, ram it tight, proceed with the next 5. Put a little grease of some kind on each chamber mouth, preferably Crisco or Bore Butter, an animal or vegetable lube, more to lube the barrel, than to prevent "chain fire", that mostly comes from missing caps.

Slip a cap on each nipple, seat them, go have a blast. You will never be the same. Just not the same as a prepacked brass round in a sterile rifle.

Even with your own reloads, in centerfire, not as satisfying as charging at the bench.

Cheers,

George

Then enjoy the smoke and smell
Old December 19, 2005, 07:17 PM   #4
farmall

Thanks, guys. I understand everything except "seating" the caps. How is this done. I recall a friend had one similar to mine years ago, always had trouble with caps falling off. Kinda discouraged me from blackpowder, but time to try again. Andy
Old December 19, 2005, 07:49 PM   #5
gmatov

Farmall,

I use Remington # 11's for my Colt Army copy, by CVA and Armi San Marco. They fit nice and snug.

They are too large for my Pietta made Remington, have to be "pinched", oval shaped at the front opening.

I think you will need a # 10 cap.

For what it's worth, I bought a tin of CCI # 11's today, on the theory that some have mentioned CCI # 10's are smaller than Rem # 10's, so the CCI 11's should be smaller than Rem 11's. They are, almost impossible to fit on my 60, have to hammer seat, and very hard, at that. Still too big for the Rem nipples, have to pinch them. Store didn't have any # 10's. Back to Gander Mountain, I guess, all they had was 2 tins of 11's last time, lotsa 10's.

Sorry, I forgot to say, you put the caps on the nipple, press them fully onto the nipple with a wooden dowel rod or some such device, angled to give you access, do NOT press TOO hard, so as to set it off. You don't want a chamber not in line with the barrel firing, will ruin your day. If you have an inline capper, they should be fully seated if you use a firm enough pressure. I'd recommend a capper, the caps are pretty small, and if it's a little chilly out, easy to fumble.

Cheers,

George
Old December 20, 2005, 01:51 AM   #6
Smokin_Gun

Fumblin'

George good posting... remember not to fondle your balls when it's chilly out...ooops I meant fumble yor balls...LoLD Just kiddin George. I was thinkin about when we hit Upstate N.Y. tomorrow...my teeth are gonna be chatterin. I'll probly get on my Brother's puter to say hi from there... see ya then man!

SG
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php