The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 27, 2016, 06:37 PM   #1
HistoryJunky

Stuck between 3 quite different guns

Recently I sold one of my rifles because I didn't have a place to shoot it. I got around 600 dollars for it, and am itching to buy another handgun.

I have narrowed it down to 3 choices, all relatively different.

Choice one is a CZ P09. I don't currently own a hammer fired pistol. I used to have one and liked it a lot. I held the P09 and liked the way it felt.

Choice two is a police surplus Glock 22 with night sights. I have held and fired Glocks in the past, and even owned a 27 and a 30. I do not particularly like the way they feel but it would be a good practical choice.

Both of these two would fit into the equation that I already reload .40SW.

Choice 3 is a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum. Opposite end of the spectrum here. I do not have any revolvers at the moment. I have never owned or fired anything stronger than a .357 magnum.

Choice 4 is for the rifle forum, some type of AK.

Anyone care to weigh in? I'm pretty torn on what to end up with.
Old January 27, 2016, 07:31 PM   #2
9ballbilly

JMHO But if you've never owned a Blackhawk/ super Blackhawk why not give it a try?

You can start with .44spl. ammunition if recoil's an issue for you.

Food for thought anyway.

Best, Bill
Old January 27, 2016, 07:34 PM   #3
HistoryJunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9ballbilly View Post
JMHO But if you've never owned a Blackhawk/ super Blackhawk why not give it a try?

You can start with .44spl. ammunition if recoil's an issue for you.

Food for thought anyway.

Best, Bill
I have given that some thought as well. If I do go with the Super Blackhawk I will be reloading for it anyways.

Not sure if it is relevant at all, but my .40 Shield is supposed to have pretty heavy recoil but it doesn't bother me. I doubt it's anything comparable to .44 magnum.
Old January 27, 2016, 07:54 PM   #4
9ballbilly

I have shot many rounds of both .40 and .44, IMO they are not comparable.

Still, I don't think there's any reason to be intimidated by .44 magnum recoil. With a bit of regular practice and acclimation I can't see it being a problem.

.......And let's face it, the .44 magnum is a fantastic round especially if you hand-load for it.

Again, JMO
Old January 27, 2016, 08:03 PM   #5
Kosh75287

They're ALL fine choices. Do you own a rifle that could be used in the role of an AK-whatever, like an Ar-15 or an M1A? Given the days and times, it might be prudent to have something like that in your collection.

I can also understand the draw of the SBH. I don't envy you your range of choices. I doubt that anything you pick could be considered a BAD choice.

انجلو. المسلحة. جاهزة. Carpe SCOTCH!
Old January 27, 2016, 08:26 PM   #6
HistoryJunky

Right now I do not own any rifles. The rifle I just sold was an unconverted Saiga. I figured if I wanted an AK it would be easier to buy one set up normally.

I used to have an AR. They are great rifles, instantly customizable. I just don't like them.

And yes, decisions decisions.
Old January 27, 2016, 08:44 PM   #7
Targa

You sold your Saiga because you didn't have a place to shoot it so why is a AK or any rifle for that matter on your list? If you don't have a revolver, the Blackhawk is certainly a good choice.
Old January 27, 2016, 09:01 PM   #8
HistoryJunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targa View Post
You sold your Saiga because you didn't have a place to shoot it so why is a AK or any rifle for that matter on your list? If you don't have a revolver, the Blackhawk is certainly a good choice.
It's more so just wanting to have something other than handguns. I am on a waiting list to become a member of a private range. Who knows how long that could be.

My only real question on the SBH is whether it is a suitable gun for a small handed shooter. I could reach the trigger fine and everything.

I am interested in how it recoils in smaller hands.
Old January 27, 2016, 10:53 PM   #9
Targa

.44 special rounds are pleasant in the Blackhawk, magnum rounds are stout. Maybe consider setting up to reload .45lc and look for a Blackhawk chambered in that as well.
Old January 27, 2016, 11:24 PM   #10
Radny97

If you are leaning toward the SBH and you're worried about the grip/recoil issue, Ruger just came out with a SBH with a Bisley grip chambered in 454 Casull. Can also fire light 45lc. Just a thought.
Old January 28, 2016, 12:12 AM   #11
HistoryJunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targa View Post
.44 special rounds are pleasant in the Blackhawk, magnum rounds are stout. Maybe consider setting up to reload .45lc and look for a Blackhawk chambered in that as well.
Do you know if the .454 Blackhawk is similarly priced to the .44 Magnum model? That doesn't seem like a bad idea.
Old January 28, 2016, 01:42 AM   #12
gyvel

You're much better off with some sort of CZ. (Check out a CZ 75, too.)
SIFE
Old January 28, 2016, 01:51 AM   #13
9ballbilly

Sounds like you have more than 3 choices again

Good luck with whatever you choose. FWIW I don't think any of the one's you listed are poor choices either.
Old January 28, 2016, 02:27 AM   #14
Hook686

.44 magnum can be a -soft shooter with the right hand gun ... for example a Desert Eagle XIX, 6" barrel, or a S&W Classic 629, 6-1/2" barrel, or maybe the Ruger Redhawk, or Super Redhawk also, though I never owned one of those.

A light weight, shorter barrel handgun will be a bear with .44 magnum loads, but then as someone mentioned you can shoot .44 Special loads. The problem there is the .44 Special is not cheap. This is a non issue if you reload, but worth some thought.

If you reload I would definitely go for the .44 magnum light weight S&W 329 PD and shoot .44 Specials I reloaded to imitate the Speer Short Barrel .44 magnum 200 grain GDHP load. Any way I look at it, the .44 magnum/.44 Special will probably be the last firearm I get rid of. Which one? Probaly the S&W 329PD.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.

Last edited by Hook686; January 30, 2016 at 12:44 AM.
Old January 28, 2016, 03:39 AM   #15
HistoryJunky

I can imagine myself now, at the gun store, flipping a coin to make a decision.
Old January 28, 2016, 07:11 AM   #16
Salmoneye

SBH

But I admit to being biased...
Old January 28, 2016, 07:38 AM   #17
Targa

The .454 Bisley SB (which I am going to pick up by the way ) is about $200 more than a non Bisley SB chambered in .44 mag and around $250-300 more than that gun chambered in .45lc. Like mentioned, all of these are great for reloading. Decisions...Decisions, kind of fun though right?
Old January 28, 2016, 09:47 AM   #18
g.willikers

From the sound of your post, it's apparent that you don't have a particular need for any of them.
So, the choice for the most fun and enjoyment goes to the Sixgun - the Blackhawk.
Especially if you are going to reload for it.
No coin toss necessary.
Old January 28, 2016, 10:10 AM   #19
Skans

Out of the ones mentioned, I'd take the CZ P09.
Old January 28, 2016, 10:30 AM   #20
MrWesson

Blackhawk
CZ p09
Glock

Variety is the spice of life. Glocks work but they don't inspire any real feelings in me. Some guns are just pretty.The CZ would muster up some feelings as I just flat out think they are the best shooting pistols out there(for me).

If you don't have a revolver and want one then the blackhawk is the obvious choice.
Old January 28, 2016, 11:55 AM   #21
HistoryJunky

I'm pretty sure I'll end up getting the SBH. It is definitely something much different than what I currently have. And of course, it looks pretty good in stainless.
Old January 29, 2016, 07:28 AM   #22
JDBerg

I'd go with a CZ, but I'd rather have a 75B
Old January 29, 2016, 07:59 PM   #23
HistoryJunky

I like the 75, but the grp and trigger reach of the P09 is better for me.
Old January 29, 2016, 09:22 PM   #24
Armybrat

Ruger Super Blackhawks are awesome guns. I opted for the 5.5" model with the round trigger guard. Already have a 8&3/8" barrel S&W .44 Magnum, so the shorter Ruger makes for a more practical trail gun: