The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 17, 2015, 01:20 PM   #76
Ritz

WVsig, I wasn't taking a jab at anyone. Just pointing out that my criteria for value is different and I explained why.

Best,
Old January 17, 2015, 08:24 PM   #77
Nakanokalronin

As usual I'm seeing comments from people not in the business of manufacturing things from metal.
Quote:
MIM are not used because of the "metal costs" but because of the labor costs.
Okay, you're the expert since you must be in the industry and know more than me. It's pretty much pointless to point this out from experience when internet opinions trump everything else.

Last edited by Nakanokalronin; January 17, 2015 at 08:32 PM.
Old January 17, 2015, 08:28 PM   #78
Nakanokalronin

Quote:
A little funny that most people are absolute sticklers about having the highest quality ammo but defend lower quality firearms.
Most people don't care as long as a gun functions after a few hundred rounds. A cheap cast part is just as good as something milled from tool steel or bar stock. Don't argue with internet logic.
Old January 17, 2015, 08:30 PM   #79
Nakanokalronin

Quote:
By Nakanokalronin's logic, we should all be using wood recurved bows instead of modern compound bows since they can't be as good as the original design and use fancy new materials.
Yep, that's exactly what I meant.
Old January 17, 2015, 08:37 PM   #80
hartcreek

This is a second for finding a Star Model B if you are only looking for 1911 style and not .45.

I am not concerned with warrantee service as I never have had a firearm that had such.
Old January 17, 2015, 09:32 PM   #81
ThomasT

Thanks for the replies to the thread I started. lots of good pics and information. I look at it a couple of times a day to see what has been posted.

Like everyone else I would like to have an old school gun with all steel hand fitted parts. Those guns are still available. For a price. The link I am posting is why I am not too concerned about MIM parts in a gun. I have a couple of S&W revolvers with MIM parts and have had no problems.

I am sure most of you have read this before but it is still a good reminder of what S&W was thinking when they went with MIM parts in their guns. It is pertaining to revolvers but the principles should be the same.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-rev...planation.html
Old January 22, 2015, 08:58 PM   #82
michael t

American Classic or upgrade to Metro Arms depending on your price range .

I have a American Classic that will give my DW a run for slide to frame fitting . Its accurate and been 100% reliable.
Old January 22, 2015, 09:23 PM   #83
ThomasT

Thanks michael t. I looked at the metro arms. None of those come close to what I am looking for. Read my earlier post and you will see why.
Old February 14, 2015, 12:06 PM   #84
Mitchum

Just read through this thread and there have been several great recommendations.

I don't have a recommendation but will mention that I had been looking around for a 1911 for a little while and ended up getting the ATI FX45 1911. It has a black matte finish which I like and seems to have gotten pretty good reviews. I had hoped to find one at a local gun show this past weekend but struck out. The ATI seems to be selling as many places I checked online were out. A local dealer I know was able to find one and ordered it for me yesterday..........$372 OTD.

I had been looking at the RIA too and it seemed to be very close to the same gun with a few minor differences. I guess at the end of the day I liked the look of the ATI a little better and the grips were checkered instead of the smooth RIA grips. Cost seemed to be about the same though the RIA was a little more.

Good luck in your search ratshooter!

Mitch