The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 21, 2013, 03:47 PM   #1
rockyrider

Trail Boss and the .45Colt

Trail Boss is all the rage nowadays it seems. I got some today finally but, what loads are recommended for the Rugers and the Colts? Any help would be Appreciated, Thanks in Advance.
Old March 21, 2013, 04:07 PM   #2
AssaultTortoise

Depends on the bullet

Charge is based on bullet weight. Go to the linked site below and select Pistol/45colt then after the data loads go to the right you will see powders listed. Pick trailboss and hit the get data button again and it will show you only the trailboss loads. I just finished 300 rounds with a 200gr swc over 6.0gr of TB for my blackhawk and so far I really like them. If you search this forum for trailboss there are several other posts you can read as well. http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp
Old March 21, 2013, 05:20 PM   #3
m&p45acp10+1

Hodgdon has instructions on how to find a load with Trail Boss. It will work with any bullet style or weight. I use Trail Boss for several calibers in hand gun, and rifle. It is a very clean burning powder. If you want more velocity you will have to pick a different powder though.

I load .45-70 Govt., .41 Mag, .38 Spcl., 7.62x54R with it. I have loaded .45 ACP, and 9mm Luger with it. It worked ok for those. I just went with other powders for them get more velocity.