The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 23, 2008, 11:08 PM   #1
Bigfatts

Navy Arms .45-70 Enfield

So I picked one up at the Lakeland show this last weekend. It's very nice and the man said it was unfired, soon to be remedied. I have been wanting a .45-70 rifle for a while now and I had always liked the Gibbs .45-70 rifles I had seen in magazines. I figured this will be as close as I get for a while. May end up being my Buffalo or Bear gun if I ever get to hunt either. Anyways, just thought I'd share. Anybody else have one of these rifles? If so, how do they shoot?

Old January 23, 2008, 11:11 PM   #2
root

nice looking rifle, out of curiosity what would something like that cost? (I've been thinking about a 45-70 lately but haven't seen much locally that I really like outside of the marlin guide gun)
Old January 23, 2008, 11:13 PM   #3
garryc

I had one of those. The chamber was bored so badly out of line the pin actually hit the edge of the primer pocket. The round fired, but when you set them on the rim they leaned badly.
Old January 23, 2008, 11:28 PM   #4
Bigfatts

Quote:
The chamber was bored so badly out of line the pin actually hit the edge of the primer pocket. The round fired, but when you set them on the rim they leaned badly.
Well I can't say as that inspires much confidence. Was it visible when looking thru the chamber end? Looking down the bore nothing seems to be off.

And I paid roughly $370 for it.
Old January 24, 2008, 08:33 AM   #5
garryc

With close inspection in good light you could see it. I didn't pick up on it in the shop because I was already angrythat it wasn't the rifle I ordered. The one I wanted was built on the N0. 4 action and would have had the ears for the ladder sight still intact. I was going to mount the ladder from an SMLE No. 4 in them. I should have sent it back on the spot. You know what hind sight is.
Old January 24, 2008, 04:00 PM   #6
E Rob

navy armes 45-70

Dont see them much around here but I did pick one up 3 years ago for 150.00 at A gun show here as I have trapdoors and wanted to see how these worked allso its in exc con. Useing 1250 cowboy rounds I can blow up A milk jug full of water at 450 feet. For A carbine I thought this was not to bad. You should really try cowboy rounds first , with the first 4 or 5 rounds you will find out. Since I have trapdoors I have allso fired 45-70 and 45-55 black powder in it. For me its A keeper.
Old January 24, 2008, 04:04 PM   #7
Magnum Wheel Man

nice looking rifle... if one was staring at me in a shop... I think I'd have to take it home... is the action strong enough for full power loads on that rifle ???
Old January 24, 2008, 04:09 PM   #8
E Rob

Ive been told anything but a ruger but dont forget this is lighter then A trapdoor carbine that I have
Old January 24, 2008, 09:38 PM   #9
Bigfatts

Yeah, I really inspected the chamber closely and didn't see anything abnormal so I hope it's ok. I'll find out next week at the range. Have you ever seen one of those rifles that just spoke to you. Well, not spoke to you so much as reached out and smacked you on the back of the head and yelled "take me home!"? That's kind of what this rifle did to me.

Now I need a cock on open kit and maybe a better trigger, I don't know yet.
Old January 25, 2008, 07:32 PM   #10
VonFireball

Hey thats a really cool enfield! Nice score!

I've got a Mark 4 No. 2 chambered in .444 marlin. No bolt face or extractor mods necessary doing the 444 conversion.

If you don't lose or cover the brass buttplate don't plan on comfortably or accurately shooting more than about 5 shots on the range.

The rifles are plenty accurate for 99% of the shooters out there. The stock trigger ain't bad either. It's no accutrigger, but hey, these were war rifles. I love em!
Old January 26, 2008, 03:13 PM   #11
flashhole

One of the guys at the range has one. Shooting factory loads with 405 grain bullets he didn't have enough height on his front sight to get on target at 75 yards. Handloads fixed that problem.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old December 23, 2009, 06:09 PM   #12
TRX

> I've got a Mark 4 No. 2 chambered in .444 marlin. No bolt
> face or extractor mods necessary doing the 444 conversion.

Can you tell what mods were done to the magazine? Any extra metal welded in, or just rebent to match the straight case?