The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old October 25, 2007, 10:30 PM   #1
Sigma 40 Blaster

IDPA membership???

Guys,

Sorry for such a mundane question...I drive my local shooting buddies nuts with my newb questions so I'm trying to spread the craziness here.

Next month I'm going to shoot in my first IDPA match, have all the gear, but when I visited their site I saw a membership form. Do I have to join their organization to shoot in their matches or can I just show up and pay the entry fee into the competition?
Old October 25, 2007, 11:24 PM   #2
RickB

You are expected to become a member before shooting your second match. The only revenue IDPA gets is membership dues. Match fees stay with the local clubs. Annual membership is going up to $40 in January, so get your application in before the end of the year.
Old October 26, 2007, 06:34 AM   #3
Sigma 40 Blaster

I broke down and read through the 90 page rules document.

There were a lot more rules about gear than I thought, it surprised me that the semi auto classes had a mag restriction. It's still nowhere near as expensive to prepare to shoot for than the other groups having just bought two 14 round mags for my PX4 and having to buy 2 more 10 round mags sucks.

I'll also need to find some "concealment garment" because I hide under my shirt...despite the extra expense this looks like it'll be a very good and practical shooting experience.
Old October 26, 2007, 08:19 AM   #4
Jim Watson

You don't have to have ten round magazines. You just load ten in the full size ones you already have. Load 11 in the first one so you start the stage (most times) with ten in the magazine and one in the chamber. You do need a third magazine, though. You get one in the gun and two on the belt. More would be convenient so you are able to look at the next stage instead of feverishly reloading mags. I normally carry six double stack or 12 single column magazines to a match, loaded before leaving home. Of course I have been at this for a while and have accumulated some gear.

You can draw out from under your shirttail if you wish. It isn't as fast as a vest, jacket or overshirt, but it is your call as long as you do it safely.
Old October 26, 2007, 08:21 AM   #5
redblair

Most clubs will let first time shooter compete without a concealment garment. They want you to be safe and not too focused on the concealment article the first time you're drawing a loaded gun at their range. I usually wear a shirt over my gear. You don't have to spend money on a fancy vest. Just go and have fun.

Be safe.

B

Dec. 15, 1791
Old October 26, 2007, 09:17 PM   #6
Ken O

You can load 10 rounds in a 14 round mag, but.... the pistol is suppose to fit in a box, I doubt a 14 rounder would fit. I have never seen a match director tell someone (especially a beginner) that they cant shoot because their mag is too long. So just load 10, and if you think you are going to stay with the competition, pick up the 10 rounders when you can.
As for the concealment gear, your shirt is legal if it covers the pistol. Smith & Alexander sells a concealment vest for about $35. They advertise in the IDPA magazine every other month, or you can probably find them online.
Old October 27, 2007, 11:34 PM   #7
Sigma 40 Blaster

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I'm going to be shooting a Beretta PX4 Storm, it's a 4" handgun. I need to check the dimensions to make sure it'll fit into this box I read about. I hope so because only other gun I'd consider competing with is my P95, they're about the same size. Can't justify buying another gun just to compete with lol.

I CAN shoot a DA/SA right? I see "safe action" type pistols and assume that means DA/SA?

I'm looking forward to this, a guy at the range who shoots IDPA (also the range master) is gonna set up a qualifying stage this week for us (and anyone else there who wants to shoot) to practice and play with.

Need to start working on my draw technique now...I am having too much fun with this stuff.
Old October 28, 2007, 07:27 PM   #8
Jim Watson

DA-SA is fine; I have shot CZ and Sig-Sauer for SSP alongside the Glocks.

Nice thing about the concealed draw, it is something you can practice at home dryfire. Do be careful that it IS dryfire.
Old October 28, 2007, 10:19 PM   #9
Sigma 40 Blaster

I try not to dry fire because it contradicts what I tell my son regarding "finger off trigger until you're on target and ready to shoot". He always reprimands me for breaking rule number 3 and calls his mommy and tells her I'm shooting my guns in the house. It's hard to explain to a 4 year old what I'm doing but am glad he remembers his rules of safety.

I have also seen nightmare posts about brain taking over after repeating something over and over...dry fired a hundred times or so one night, took the snap cap out, popped in the mag, dropped slide release and caught myself before I took aim at a candle holder on top of my 64" HDTV...very scary almost mistake.

I've been reading/looking at pictures of different draw techniques from different positions and different holsters. I wear a tuckable holster most of the time @ 3-4 o'clock depending on if I just ate or not...got a couple of weeks to get some kind of draw and rhythm established.
Old October 28, 2007, 10:59 PM   #10
The Canuck

Hey Sigma 40 Blaster,

I'll try to help you out with some of the rules and such for IDPA.

I'll boil 'em down so you can just walk in and they'll approve your rig right there.

First off, the Berreta PX4 is legal under the SSP and ESP categories, start in SSP and go from there.

The mag limits are 10 rounds and as you have seen you just have to load up to ten and +1 in the pipe. Here in Canada that's our legal limit for non LE/Military magazines anyways.

The acceptable holsters are in short, fully functional concealed carry holsters, no dropped rigs (exception for female shooters due to physiology), spaced loops (no light of day through the loops) or barrel forward canted rigs (regular cant with the butt forward is allowed) as these would not be what a person would reasonably use to carry concealed in every day life. Yes they watch closely on this one.

Mag carriers should be something that covers the magazine on all four sides for a minimum of 2" up from the mag lips. Also, you have to do the retention test with the carriers where you have to be able to turn the carrier(s) with full magazines upside down. In order to pass the magazines have to stay in the carrier.

The first shoot usually has a nominal fee, any match after that requires a membership (yeah, they get you hooked with a taste...).

Some tips to shoot the match...

Best thing to do is to treat each stage like a practice scenario for actual defensive shooting. Use the stage's rules of engagement (tactical order, tactical priority, two to the chest on each, two to the chest on each then return with one to the head due to body armour, etc.) and learn the rules of Vickers and Limited Vickers scoring, not to game it, but to understand what is expected in the stage. Also, practice your one handed and weak handed only shooting as well as draw & fire, fire from retention, mag change and stoppage drills. Make darn sure you practice at ranges greater than 15 yards on a regular basis. Always be safe with respect to yourself and other participants and spectators.

These are things I would tell any defensive shooter anyways. You don't have to get crazy with it (like me). Just be sure you have fun!
Old November 10, 2007, 11:42 PM   #11
Sigma 40 Blaster

Shot my first qualifier this morning

IDPA was a blast. First qualifier match and didn't do TOO terribly, I think my finished score was 172.

The stage that used barricades killed me, I've never shot at those angles before. I have a lot of work to do to get up in the rankings but this type of competition is almost a must shoot for anyone who CCW's...at least one time.

Unfortunately I was on the IDPA.com website and found a list of individuals who shot all five divisions at the same class...a goal to work towards that will require the purchase of at least three more guns. My wife will just have to accept it!!! lol
Old November 11, 2007, 01:37 AM   #12
Guy B. Meredith

All the rules are for those who are interested in having official standing in match results, level, etc. If you're in it for fun you can ignore most of it, put on a CCW rig and have fun.

PC = Agenda driven groupthink filter on reality.

Apostrophes denote ownership or missing letters NOT plurals!
Old November 11, 2007, 01:57 PM   #13
Sigma 40 Blaster

Well, I had every intention of just doing it for fun and to train (advice from others shooting has been very invaluable to me as there are not a lot of training classes in my neck of the woods).

After I found out that there were actual rankings, bigger competitions, and then the pretty exclusive list of 5 gun shooters I decided to get a little more serious with it. I'm sure there are many more who just don't want to bother with the paperwork but I'd like to get proficient with as many different types of weapons as possible.

I read the rules a few times but don't understand the difference between Stock Service Pistol and Enhanced Service Pistol...same with revolvers. Can anyone shed some light on that???
Old November 11, 2007, 02:11 PM   #14
The Tourist

If you can find a "single stacker" club in your area, try that.

Most of the guys are more laid back, the firearms are cheaper--and you can actually recognize them as a firearm!

I've found that rather than treating you as a tresspassing newb, they welcome you aboard, introduce you around, show you their firearms and don't try to hoard all of the skills like alchemy.

My combat guns date back to about 1984. Ross Seyfried actually won a mational match with a 1911 that looked just like mine. That can't happen now, but I shoot for fun.

Old November 11, 2007, 06:34 PM   #15
Sigma 40 Blaster

This IDPA club has some guys who shoot the "custom .45 class", revolver classes, and semi-autos only. There were a few shooting single stacks in the regular semi-auto class but were at a disadvantage due to mag capacity.

All the guys I met were really friendly and helpful, I didn't want to hit them with too many questions on my first day. I'm already scoping out a revolver and and a 1911 to shoot the other classes with assuming I understand the different IDPA classes correctly.

EDIT: Very nice piece by the way...I posted another thread about being a new 1911 fan, now I have a reason to justify buying it to my wife lol.
Old November 11, 2007, 08:44 PM   #16
Jim Watson

"I read the rules a few times but don't understand the difference between Stock Service Pistol and Enhanced Service Pistol...same with revolvers. Can anyone shed some light on that???"

Stock Service Pistol must be of double action or equivalent; including Glock "safe action." Few modifications are allowed.
Enhanced Service Pistol may be of single action, like a Colt .38 Super, but you may also shoot a double action. You will see some glocks with more mods than allowed in SSP for example. Or just shoot a SSP, that is specifically allowed.

Stock Service Revolvers shoot a rimmed cartridge loaded with a speedloader. Enhanced Service Revolvers shoot moon clipped cartridges whether rimmed or rimless. ESP must make power factor 165,000 since most are .45 ACP S&W 625s.
Old November 12, 2007, 04:34 PM   #17
RickB

ESR power factor is 165,000.