The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 13, 2012, 09:00 PM   #1
JeffSSig

Ar 458 socom?

Anyone here own a 458 SOCOM ?
Your thoughts on this AR if you do.
Thanks
Old April 13, 2012, 09:05 PM   #2
RamItOne

Dont own one. Almost bought an upper for that caliber. Then realized I was just bored and paying a couple bucks per round vs $.25 I couldn't justify it.

Would be cool for a hog killer
Old April 13, 2012, 10:29 PM   #3
Txhillbilly

I've had one for a while,it's a great/fun gun to shoot and hunt with.
They are very accurate out to 200 yards,but really drop off after that.

You almost need to reload for this caliber,factory ammo is hard to find,and very expensive.You also should be an experienced reloader,there isn't much load data available,and you really need to know what and what not to do when loading for this caliber.

Within 200 yards the 458SC will take down just about anything that a 45/70 will,and recoil is pretty tame with the 300-400gr bullets.

Old April 13, 2012, 11:15 PM   #4
Irish B

Not to get off topic but in comparing it to a 45/70 I wonder how a 458 would serve as a bear guide gun and how effective it would be on stopping a charging brownie.
Old April 14, 2012, 09:21 PM   #5
Txhillbilly

Irish B,I don't think it would have any problem putting down a charging brownie at all,using the right bullet like the 405gr LFNP.
Old April 14, 2012, 11:04 PM   #6
Deja vu

What 45/70 loading does the 458 socom compair to? There is a world of difference between the trap door loads and the Ruger #1 loads.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old April 16, 2012, 09:38 AM   #7
CCCLVII

I believe the 458 Socom has a top end a bit higher then the trap door but lower than the marlin loads.

The advantage over the 45/70 is that the 458 Socom is much more easy to suppress.
Old April 17, 2012, 05:47 AM   #8
Stargazer

New Mid-Length RRA A4

I just got a new 458 Socom about two months ago. I knew going in this was a "reload" only type of caliber and I reload so no problems there. Certain times of the year it seems 458 SC ammo becomes impossible to find as cases are made once a year and there are only a handful of "Factory" ammo makers, period. That being said ALL gas systems will not work with ALL ammo. My first outing I used some SBR factory ammo. Shot fine, did not cycle the action at all. I have a mid-length gas system and this has proven to work with only certain types of powders such as IMR 4198 and my favorite, Reloader 7. Once I pulled those bullets and used RL7 it worked great.

This video shows the weak ejection caused by the use of powder such as H110.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10728824/Gun.../slomo_458.wmv

This one shows the good ejection using RL7 powder.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10728824/Gun...7_37.5_FTX.m4v

I like it, it's a hammer for sure, and it fits in an AR platform.

M70 Web Page
Old April 20, 2012, 06:08 AM   #9
Slimbo

I keep itching for one then the whole ammo cost, even reloading, pops back into my head and I remember how much I make. hit teppo jetsu's site to see pictures of what people are using it to kill, pretty impressive for an AR platform. I believe it is one of there customers that is shooting 1000yd with irons with one.
Old April 25, 2012, 01:08 PM   #10
Flintknapper

I’ve used one for a few years now as a purpose built rifle for controlling Feral Hogs.

Prior to the SOCOM I used a 7mm-08…which did well enough, but shot angles had to be carefully considered.

The SOCOM affords me “options” in terms of shot angles, of course…I still strive to take only ethical, high percentage shots.

It has NOT let me down yet.

Old April 25, 2012, 01:18 PM   #11
Flintknapper

Quote:
I believe the 458 Socom has a top end a bit higher then the trap door but lower than the marlin loads.
Correct.

The SOCOM (to date) has not been SAAMI spec'd or tested for pressure.

The limiting factor (beyond timing issues with certain powders) is the bolt.

In order to accept the rim of the cartridge a standard .223/5.56 bolt is used but "opened up" a bit at the bolt face.

This...of course, weakens the bolt somewhat and the unofficial "safe" limit is thought to be about 35,000 psi, although one German testing firm subscribes to 44,000 psi.

Those of us who reload for it...use the lower figure and have experienced no problems.

Hope that helps,

Flint.
Old April 25, 2012, 05:31 PM   #12
Stargazer

Flintknapper, You sure do some fine photography Sir! That image is computer wallpaper if I have ever seen any. God I miss pine needles! Stuck in the DFW city situation....I have enjoyed your videos and photos for a while now. He has You Tube videos too guys, don't miss out on those.

M70 Web Page
Old April 25, 2012, 07:35 PM   #13
Flintknapper

^^^^^^^^^^^

I do have photos posted on certain forums I belong to, but no "You Tube" videos...that must be someone else.

Just want to save anyone the trouble of searching.

Flint.
Old April 28, 2012, 03:08 PM   #14
nyc71

I recently got the upper but can't find brass in stock anywhere. I noticed a few owners have an Ace skeleton or fixed stock but most use collapsible, does one have an advantage over the other.
Thank you
Old May 3, 2012, 05:45 AM   #15
Stargazer

Quote:
I recently got the upper but can't find brass in stock anywhere. I noticed a few owners have an Ace skeleton or fixed stock but most use collapsible, does one have an advantage over the other.
Mako makes a recoil reducing stock that they say really does work. Other than that the stock is just users preference or in my case how deep the wallet goes. My main concern is getting stock of rounds at the moment.

M70 Web Page
Old July 29, 2012, 01:10 PM   #16
nyc71

The Ace Skeleton stock works very well.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343585388.630074.jpg
Old July 29, 2012, 04:09 PM   #17
BlueTrain

Hey, Stargazer, if you're really homesick for the country, I can show you cornfields in the District of Columbia.

However, on the subject at hand, I think these things make an AR positively interesting, if not exactly more practical. I had the chance to examine one a few years back. Pricey by my standards but I have low standards. No offense, Mr. Flintknapper, but I like the configuration of Stargazer's a little better. I think I would find the handguard something to get used to.

I also note that everyone has a scope on their rifle. How well do you do without the scope, if you've ever used it that way?

If nothing else, this shows how versitile or adaptable the design is. But seeing as how there are new AR-10s around (at least a few), has anyone done any experimenting with other calibers for that design?
Buy War Bonds.
Old July 31, 2012, 09:08 AM   #18
tjh

Stargazer's AR

Stargazer tell us about your ar. Really like the look of it, NOT all cluttered up with rails and gizzmos. NICE CLEAN RIFLE. What barrel lenght do you have?
Old July 31, 2012, 05:44 PM   #19
Stargazer

Quote:
Stargazer tell us about your ar. Really like the look of it, NOT all cluttered up with rails and gizzmos. NICE CLEAN RIFLE. What barrel lenght do you have?
Thanks! It is nothing really special other than the caliber. It is a mid-length RRA complete rifle, 16" barrel. Now I wasn't real happy with that pipe handguard and if it had been rubber covered or Hogue made a mid-length rubber covered one, that would have been much nicer. I can't stand to pick up an aluminum pipe, it is either always too hot to too cold. I searched and looked around and finally got a good response on what to use to cover that "pipe" with. Heat Shrink tubing! That piece on there cost me $10 with shipping but it is well worth it. It was fun trying to get it to shrink correctly and evenly and it doesn't look great but it "feels" great now. I had fellows say that that piece on a real AR would melt down. I beg to differ, if that piece melts your barrel is toast. That stuff resists flames and flames cause it to do what it is supposed to do, shrink, not burn.

Quote:
I also note that everyone has a scope on their rifle. How well do you do without the scope, if you've ever used it that way?
At first since this is mainly a 200 yard rifle I was going to just use the carry handle and rail front sights until I read about hog hunting. My buddy always insists to bring a scoped rifle hog hunting due to the brush around and the darkness that goes with thick woods early AM and late afternoon. And then I found out about night hog hunting and found unless you are willing to drop $4-6K on good night vision stuff all that is really needed is red lights and a day time scope! I tried it out and it is true. I have a red LED bright flashlight that I attach to the gas block rail. It blocks the lower part of the scope on low power but past 4X you can not even see it. I could literally take 150 yard shot and place it where I wanted the bullet to go on a hog or a coyote in total darkness except for that flashlight. So the scope became a necessary tool.

I did get to do some bullet expansion testing this past weekend. Barnes makes a bullet specifically for the 458 SOCOM cartridge called a TTSX. Blue polymer tipped long boat tail bullet. I did the gallon water jug test and the wet newspapers test. Of course you only have one shot at the water jugs and I used one of the TTSX bullets and it opened up and stopped inside the 5th water jug. It opened up perfectly in the water jugs but only about 1/2-3/4 open in the wet newspapers. Still any opening is good. Below are some pixs and the bullets were fired at 40 yards away. One thing to notice in the jug video, the first two jugs were so violent in their upset that they literally blew that 50-60# box of wet newspapers off the table! Drenched my camera too but it survived. I got myself some good souvenirs, tested all the bullets I shoot through it and we had a good time as well.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/10728824/Gu...COM/5thJUG.wmv

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/10728824/Gu...NewsImpact.wmv

M70 Web Page
Old August 3, 2012, 09:09 AM   #20
Locoweed

I have a couple sample cartridge cases in my collection and they were made by Starline. Have you checked with them for brass?
Old October 12, 2012, 04:58 PM   #21
Stephen O

I like the .458. The recoil is not as harsh as some expect. As others here have said, it's not the cheapest thing to feed, but it's not my number one choice for a carbine class either. For hunting in wooded areas or anywhere that sight distance or skill limits the range of the shots you will be taking, it may be a great choice. The only down side is that for those who are wanting to do feral hog eradication and have the shooting skills to do so effectively, the magazine capacity can leave something to be desired.

We recently went hunting with Bill Wilson at his ranch, and of course we used a Wilson Combat .458 AR to take some hogs. We did a couple of article on it, but they are primarily on Wilson Combat and the experience of hunting with Bill. WC seems to have pretty consistent stock on .458 ammo, but I may be off on that so someone else may be able to confirm or correct this.
Old October 12, 2012, 07:07 PM   #22
TMD

I kept looking at one and thought I really wanted one but ended up getting a .300 ACC Blackout. Not quit the thump of a .458 but plenty more than enought to kill paper targets. Great thing about it is you can make your own brass from your worn out .223/5.56 brass.
Old October 12, 2012, 07:16 PM   #23
mete

www.corbon.com loads the round with 300 barnes ,matching the factory 300 45-70.
I use that bullet and load in my 1885 Browning single shot which performs very well on deer !