The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 11, 2011, 07:22 PM   #1
Taktix

Tactical U - New Video - High Risk Concealed Carry Course

Thanks to everyone who came out on Saturday for High Risk Concealed Carry. Great guys made for a valuable and enjoyable course. Special thanks to 3 Speed Holsters and our law enforcement friends who participated.

WATCH VIDEO

Old July 11, 2011, 07:47 PM   #2
smince

I'm sorry, but I'm still a little hazy on why you teach students to move forward or backward and stay in the line of fire?????????
Old July 11, 2011, 08:04 PM   #3
dawg23

At the 0:56 mark, the guy in the dark blue shirt sweeps the man to his right with an obviously loaded handgun.

I'm surprised that this wasn't edited from the video, or used as a "teachable moment" to reinforce some safety rules that were no doubt covered prior to commencement of the drill.

Other than this one incident, the drills and training look very similar those taught at a number of schools.

Last edited by dawg23; July 12, 2011 at 02:19 PM.
Old July 11, 2011, 09:15 PM   #4
Glenn Dee

Ahhh

Looks like a lot of fun. However I wonder why they train to shoot dry, and why they chase targets/bad guys.

Looks like a lot of fun.

Hut... Hut... Hut...

Glenn D.
Old July 17, 2011, 09:01 AM   #5
Murdock

Quote:
Looks like a lot of fun. However I wonder why they train to shoot dry, and why they chase targets/bad guys.
Yeah, I wondered myself about chasing the BGs across the range. I'd be running away like a chimp with its butt on fire.

The in the past year I have had training from Rob Pincus, Gabe Suarez and Clint Smith. Running the gun dry is being taught and discussed as a real world fact by all three, and tac loading was discouraged. Suarez in particular like the hi-cap guns for this reason (e.g.; to reduce the need to load). I asked Clint about tac-loading to top off, and he said that if he has to shoot for serious, he's planning on emptying the gun, and whether or not that happens depends solely upon the behavior of the threat. He added that the one or two rounds you have left instantly available in the gun have much more immediate value to you in your immediate future than the potential held in a full magazine. We were encouraged to run dry, to the point of deliberately short-loading magazines in order to generate more practice at speed loading.

Never having been in a gunfight I'm going to listen to the people who have been there. Especially since I paid them good money to teach me how to stay alive.

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I'm still a little hazy on why you teach students to move forward or backward and stay in the line of fire?????????
As far as staying on line with the threat vector is concerned, retreating down a hallway doesn't give one many options for moving off line, and in fact getting close to the walls can funnel rounds into you, as ricochets tend to come off the wall at a shallower angle then how they hit it. Also, at 0200 with your teenage daughter screaming in her room at the other end of the house, and a known threat between you and her, what else ya gonna do but be aggressive? Hi diddle diddle, straight up the middle.

So I think there are cases for staying on line. There were certainly a number of examples of the students in this video moving off line to indicate that the concept was being addressed by the instructors. Stay flexible.

Quote:
At the 0:56 mark, the guy in the dark blue shirt sweeps the man to his right with an obviously loaded handgun.
As far as the dark blue shirt guy sweeping the man next to him, I replayed that segment several times, and it did not look that way to me. I thought it looked like the muzzle of his pistol was pointed downward in between himself and his neighbor while he turned.

What I did note was the voluptuous expenditure of ammunition. The high-cap magazine is here to stay, I guess. I can visualize having difficulty legally justifying that much shooting in a defensive situation, but shooting a lot does make folks feel good. (Clintism: "Every bullet you fire has a lawyer attached to it").

Finally, I really liked the low-tech movers. I'm gonna steal that idea PDQ.

Last edited by Murdock; July 17, 2011 at 09:09 AM.
Old July 17, 2011, 01:38 PM   #6
smince

Quote:
retreating down a hallway doesn't give one many options for moving off line,
But there are better options.

Just depends on where your training comes from.
Old July 18, 2011, 12:15 AM   #7
Glenn Dee

The Hallway thing?

Someone who has never been in an older apartment teniment bulding may not understand the dynamics. These halways have been referred to as vertical coffins by some cops. If caught in one of these narrow halways... 90% of the time the only way out is to back up.

Glenn D.
Old July 18, 2011, 06:08 AM   #8
Murdock

Quote:
But there are better options.
Please specify one or two, as I would like to be able to consider them in such a situation.
Old July 18, 2011, 07:50 PM   #9
smince

Quote:
Please specify one or two, as I would like to be able to consider them in such a situation.
I'll say that even in very narrow areas, there are other ways to move besides forward or back. The trick is to move and keep moving.

Get a couple of blow-back Airsoft guns, some like minded training partners and see for your self.
Old July 19, 2011, 05:38 AM   #10
Murdock

Quote:
I'll say that even in very narrow areas, there are other ways to move besides forward or back. The trick is to move and keep moving.
That would be quite a trick; going though the wall, floor or ceiling doesn't count.

I'm done here.
Old July 19, 2011, 06:56 PM   #11
smince

Quote:
That would be quite a trick; going though the wall, floor or ceiling doesn't count.

I'm done here.
Look, I never said it was a cure-all. Make jokes if you want.

But moving only forward or backward is definitely NOT an answer.

Try it your way (or the video way) FOF and see how you get lit up.

Then try thinking outside the box a bit. Or perhaps train with some outside-the-box instructors instead of the same old stuff everyone is teaching.

Tags
handgun , pistol , tactical , train , video