The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 3, 2014, 12:11 PM   #1
Capt Rick Hiott

Need help on what to do about Boyds gun stocks warranty?

If this happened to you, what would you do? This stocked cracked BEFORE the trigger guard screw was even tight.

I have not received the final e-mail from them, but this was the last one. Ill will contact them again next week.

Here is what I told them in my last e-mail.
"The guy that I talked to on the phone that called ME told me to install the screw and take a pic with it installed and without it. It is not tight at all.
The crack happened when I first installed the guard before the screw was even tight.
It is split in the wood it self, not a glue line.
How should I send this back to you? Don't I need some kind of authorization number?

This was there responce. I quote here,,,,"Hi, Looks like you assembled this gun without a trigger gaurd, you cracked this when tightening down. you must have the t- guard and mage plate with longer take down bolts kit. Not a defective material as cracked accross Plys. A defective material will split straight down a glue line.

This is the pic's I sent them.

Old January 3, 2014, 12:42 PM   #2
AllenJ

If you did everything right they should replace it. I would not email them again but instead would call.
Old January 3, 2014, 03:49 PM   #3
Capt Rick Hiott

I was thinking the same thing. Im waiting on Monday..........thanks
Old January 4, 2014, 12:21 AM   #4
big al hunter

You might also mention that over tightening a screw strips the wood, making a loose screw. Defective/weak wood in the ply that cracked causes cracks.
Old January 4, 2014, 05:33 PM   #5
jmr40

I'd not waste any more time talking, I'd box it up and send it back. Tell them to honor their warranty and replace it or keep it and lose a customer. You have nothing to lose since it is useless to you as is.
Old January 4, 2014, 06:45 PM   #6
Capt Rick Hiott

I would,,,but you have to have a authorization number written on the box for them to accept it, or they will send it back to you.
Sounds like they have had a few problems with customers if this is there policy.......
Old January 4, 2014, 08:34 PM   #7
jmr40

I'd return it regardless. As is, it is nothing more than a stick of firewood to you. I don't see what you have to lose and I'm betting once they get it in hand they do something. Return it USPS, it is cheaper than the others. If they return to you via USPS simply write "REFUSED" in big letters and drop it back in the mail. If the box is unopened they have to pay postage both ways.

I've never been a fan of laminated stocks and now have another reason to prefer quality synthetics. Good luck.
Old January 4, 2014, 11:59 PM   #8
Capt Rick Hiott

Thanks,,,I might try that first.......
Old January 5, 2014, 09:05 AM   #9
NoSecondBest

Laminated stocks don't crack across the plys unless something causes them to crack that way. I understand what they are telling you. However, it's possible that the screw hole wasn't drilled completely through or the wrong sized screw was used in the hole. Either of those scenarios could cause the plys to crack. Just to maintain a reputation of good customer service I'm surprised they haven't offered to replace the stock or repair it (yes, there is a repair process for this but you'd probably be able to notice the repair). I'd talk to someone there and ask them to please examine the stock before denying warranty. They might see something wrong with the screw hole if they looked at it in hand rather than looking at a picture.
Old January 6, 2014, 05:32 PM   #10
STEINER

I have a Boyds' laminate stock on one of my rifles.
It was a perfect fit. Their quality control is very good.
Those small allen screws actually have a torque rating in inch pounds.
Or just a good mechanic's feel when tightening.
I am suggesting you send it back even if you can't get a return authorization.
Whether you caused it or it was a defective stock from the start, they will possibly send you another one. Won't hurt.
Carefull assembling the next one.
Old January 6, 2014, 05:59 PM   #11
Capt Rick Hiott

Just for the record,,,I have worked on cars/heavy equipment for most of my life. (about 40 years)
My father was a very successful race car builder and a first class machinist. I have made many things out of steel and wood...I'm no rookie when it comes to a simple wood screw.........Thanks.
Old January 6, 2014, 06:43 PM   #12
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

If they don't replace it, point them to this thread. I bought a Boyd's stock last year and I'm very impressed with it for $100 and I have recommended them numerous times but if this is their customer service, I will never buy another and I will warn other to avoid them. You can get a nearly identical stock WITH PILLARS INSTALLED for $169 from EABCo.
Old January 6, 2014, 07:30 PM   #13
Pahoo

Front magazine plate screw, too large.

A couple of months ago, I ran into the same problem but not exactly. ...

I ordered a new stock from Boyds for a MK-II. I then ordered the separate hardware which included the trigger guard and magazine plate as well as the wood screws, from Midway. I noticed that the front magazine plate screw, looked to be larger than expected. I compared it to one of my other Savages and sure enough, it was larger. I went to Ace hardware and purchased a matching screw. All worked out well and that might have not been the case, if I had not caught it. Now, if I had ordered the stock from Savage, it would have come in with the appropriate wood screws. ....

Just perhaps, this might be what happened in your case. When you ordered the stock, I presume you also had to order the hardware separately.. ....

At any rate, Boyd should make it right and they have always worked in good faith, with me .....

Be Safe !!!
Old January 7, 2014, 11:51 AM   #14
F. Guffey

I friend handed me a stock, I looked at it and said nothing. He said I could have it, it was a magnificent Western stock completely finished with the side split out. I explained to him I would use it because he was/is my friend. I bedded/glued the stock to the trigger guard assemble. And now they are one.

We both knew what happened, he was never big on bedding, he cut the stock to fit, to him it felt like a crush fit, he was saving weight by lightning up the stock.

I ordered two stock from Richards Micro fit, I called them to inform them I thought I could train woodpeckers to do a better job.

F. Guffey
Old January 7, 2014, 03:02 PM   #15
Capt Rick Hiott

UPDATE

They called me today and told me to mail it to them so they could get a good look at it.....

It will be in the mail tomorrow!

Ill keep you posted.
Old January 19, 2014, 08:44 AM   #16
Capt Rick Hiott

No word yet....
Old January 19, 2014, 12:19 PM   #17
tobnpr

I manufacture stocks from the same blanks as Boyd's ( and buy them from Boyd's)...Rutland Plywood Strataply.

What I'm curious about, and can't tell from the pictures, is that there's an action screw pillar towards the front, presumable ahead of the crack, but the top view doesn't seem to show the stock thickening in that area.

As others have said, if it was necessary to inlet the stock in those areas down as thin as they did, the only issue is that the screw hole was not pre-drilled to the correct diameter before the trigger guard screw was installed.

These laminates are hardwood, with a LOT of glue...they do not allow for expansion very well. Almost like trying to put a screw into Starboard (marine polymer).

Screw holes should always be pre-drilled with a bit that matches the diameter of the screw shank- so that only the threads are cutting and you're not trying to compress the wood in the area of the screw shank. When you do that, the wood needs to go somewhere- and in this case, cracked the laminate.

Whether or not this is a warranty issue is unclear to me. I believe Boyd's states (as I do ) that some fitting may be required. If so, it was up to you to be sure the rear screw hole was properly pre-drilled; and the damage would not have been due to a defect in Boyd's materials, or workmanship.

Boyd's seems to like to take all the wood out of a stock that sometimes isn't necessary, as in the barrel area. I presume this is to make the stock as light as possible. Personally, I'm not a fan of doing that, unless it's a purposed design. I'm assuming they needed to inlet the stock as thin as they did in those areas because it was necessary for the proper fit of the action.

Ifff...

Boyd's will not replace the stock, simply tape off the bottom of the stock and inject some low viscosity epoxy along the crack to fill it- provided the crack does not extend into what must be a thickened area at that pillar. If the crack extends into that area I would be dubious that a repair would hold up as it appears this is behind the recoil lug and would be subject to a lot of stress.

Let us know how you make out.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old January 19, 2014, 12:42 PM   #18
Capt Rick Hiott

You said,,,"simply tape off the bottom of the stock and inject some low viscosity epoxy along the crack to fill it."

Thats what I was going to do. Might even add some matting on the inside where I have room.

Thanks.
Old January 19, 2014, 07:27 PM   #19
tobnpr

Quote:
Might even add some matting on the inside where I have room.
Excellent idea!
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old January 23, 2014, 03:48 PM   #20
Capt Rick Hiott

They called me today. IT WILL BE REPLACED!!! Big thanks goes out to Boyds Gun Stocks!!!

I will order another one from them when needed!!!
Old January 23, 2014, 04:53 PM   #21
Pahoo

Not really surprised

Quote:
They called me today. IT WILL BE REPLACED!!! Big thanks goes out to Boyds Gun Stocks!!!
I'm not surprised and this is another reason, I like dealing with them. They have always been there to assist me, with any concerns or questions.

Be Safe !!!