The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 20, 2009, 10:56 PM   #1
therealtwitch

sabot slug in a cylinder bore?

Now I know you are only supposed to use sabot slugs in rifled barrels. But I have always been told that in addition to not being as accurate in a smooth bore, you shouldn't use sabot slugs in a smooth bore due to the choke being a hazard to the slug. My question is, is this true about the choke making it dangerous to use sabots in a smooth bore. and but that logic could you safely use a sabot slug in a smooth bore that is a cylinder bore?
Old December 20, 2009, 11:09 PM   #2
JackSparrow

well, sabots should compress a bit (at least, the plastic casing should), so it probably wouldn't be bad to shoot them through a choked barrel, but pointless since you're pretty much just throwing a wad of metal out of your barrel if you're not using a rifled barrel, and the thing will tumble all over the place
Old December 20, 2009, 11:36 PM   #3
therealtwitch

i am aware that a cylinder bore has no choke, hence I brought it up. I figured it would be less accurate (maybe even much more so). I am just curious from a safety stand point. This whole thing stems from a conversation I recently had with a friend who swears you can safely shoot a sabot slug through a smooth bore, and claims to frequently do it through an 870 with and improved choke. he even goes so far as to claim extreme accuracy out to 100 yards. It makes me wonder. but if its dangerous i wouldn't even try. and it seems to be an expensive round to buy with out the barrel to make it reach its full potential. But with that said a remington accutip slug will drop a black bear cold. and if it were close enough to the house that I had to shoot it and didn't have time to change barrels it would be nice to know that it COULD work. however I am fully aware they make excellent slugs for smooth bores that will do the jobs. I currently keep a few black magic slugs for this reason
Old December 21, 2009, 12:37 AM   #4
JackSparrow

It's not dangerous, but I wouldn't believe he can get any accuracy with a smoothbore using sabots, especially at long distances. There's no spin imparted on the projectile, and sabots aren't terribly aerodynamic, so there's just no way he can be getting any accuracy out of them that way.
Old December 21, 2009, 05:38 AM   #5
zippy13

As JackSparrow said, it's safe. Let's face it, if they weren't safe, the manufacturer's legal department would have pulled them off the market some time ago. Federal's sabots are advertised as "Designed specifically for rifled barrels but can also be used in smooth bore barrels." Obviously, Federal anticipates some of those smooth bore barrels to have chokes in them. The world isn't going to come to an end if you shoot a sabot in a choked smooth bore. But, don't go crying to them is your accuracy is woefully lacking.

The senior members of this forum have heard the mantra: sabots in rifled barrels -- shot in smooth, more times than they can count. But, since the question keeps coming up, there's still folks who haven't gotten the word. Be patient, we're sure to hear this question again.
Old December 21, 2009, 11:40 AM   #6
Pahoo

There is no danger but it is a waste of money putting a Sabot slug through a smooth bore. If you have a smooth bore, stay with the rifled slugs. If you have a rifled bore and you want to optimize performance, go with the Sabots. The biggest concerns I have, is shooting a rifled slug through a tight choke tube. For quite a number of years, I shot a rifled slug through a Full choke barrel and it was very accurate.

Be Safe !!!