The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 16, 2012, 06:44 PM   #1
Crazy88Fingers

Bore Sight and Crooked Front Sight?

I just have to ask a probably silly question for those of you who are more knowledgeable than I in the realm of gunsmithing. I brought a Mini-14 in to my local gunsmith to have a Choate flash hider installed. Should have been a simple 30 minute job. When I went to pick it up the front sight (part of the flash hider) was very noticeably canted to the right about 5-10 degrees. When I asked, I was told that the rifle was bore sighted and the front sight had to be like that keep it on target.

This makes absolutely no sense to me. As far as I can tell, this flash hider should have no effect on accuracy, and the original front sight was installed at 12 o'clock, where it should be. So am I missing something, or should I start looking for a new smith?
Old June 16, 2012, 07:04 PM   #2
Sarge

You won't know until you shoot it. If you have to crank your windage WAY over to get it zeroed, take it back and make him fix his screw up.
Old June 16, 2012, 09:01 PM   #3
Crazy88Fingers

I suppose. But in theory, am I wrong in assuming that this thing should be lined up straight? I can't imagine getting any accuracy with a sight picture like this...

Old June 17, 2012, 01:19 AM   #4
melchloboo

I am not a gunsmith, but a competitive rifle shooter, and I agree that canting the sight based on a bore sighting makes no sense.

What should have happened is: 1) test fire to determine zero baseline, 2) install flash hider, 3) test fire to determine effect of flash hider on zero. If step 3) is significant, he should have called you to discuss options.
Old June 17, 2012, 10:36 AM   #5
Pahoo

Poor work that haunts you !!

Quote:
When I asked, I was told that the rifle was bore sighted and the front sight had to be like that keep it on target.
Totally unacceptalbe. First off, that was not part of the work, you required or willing to pay for. ...

It's like having a beautiful girl friend with a wart on her nose. She may be all that but that wart is still there. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old June 17, 2012, 10:41 AM   #6
dogrunner

That "smith" is jerkin' your chain! No way in hell should a front sight be canted in ANY application. Think about it, the alignment ought to be straight up and down as is the case in any commercial sight install you will ever find. Your smith is just trying to excuse either his lack of ability or a screw up in the fitting of that piece. I have installed a lot of sights, usually by soldering, and it can on occasion be a challenge....still, that's what levels and the right equipment are made for!

That 'bore sighting' excuse rings more than hollow as well. A bore sighting process requires the front sight to align with the desired impact location......the sighting area of that sight IS the tip of it.....why would it under any circumstance require any degree of cant.

Last edited by dogrunner; June 17, 2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old June 17, 2012, 11:21 AM   #7
Sarge

I posted #2 in a hurry but I agree with the consensus here. If your OEM sight was plumb, your aftermarket should be too. I would shoot it this weekend at maybe 25 yards to confirm what we already know (doubt you'll get it on paper much further than that if your illustration is accurate) then take it back.
Old June 17, 2012, 01:47 PM   #8
Crazy88Fingers

Well it's good to know I'm not crazy!

Turns out though, I ordered the wrong flash hider. I got the one for the older (and thinner) Mini-14 barrels. For some reason he still installed it, very poorly, and sent me out the door.

This is a good gun shop he's working for, so I'm willing to give them a chance to make it right. But the lack of communication is chipping away at their rep.