The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 29, 2013, 11:21 AM   #51
coldbeer

Every firearm has it's detracters especially now in the internet age. The best advice I can give you is to ignore them.
Old January 29, 2013, 03:09 PM   #52
Strafer Gott

I had an early one, and I now have the late model 581. I really like the new version. It has the Hogue overmolded stock, and is just about the handiest quickest little .223 I've handled. I haven't benched it because I don't need to. It is obviously accurate when shooting off hand at clays at 100m. It is still usably accurate even when it's smoking hot(no kidding smoking). I recommend it to any soul lucky enough to lay eyes on an affordable one.
Old January 30, 2013, 10:00 PM   #53
QuarterHorse

I have had a 181 series for about 12 years now. When I was younger I put on a pistol grip folding stock and my ex-girlfriend held my factory stock for whatever purposes. I've recently been wanting to play with the Ruger again and am looking at going with a Hogue or Choate stock.

Other than that the rifle is as accurate as I need it to be for burning coyotes. I don't bullseye shoot it, it's a utility gun that's sat unfired for too long.

I wouldn't fear buying one for the right price.
Old January 31, 2013, 08:07 AM   #54
eastbank

if you shoot a mini-223 or a mini-7.62x39 be sure you take it apart and clean the under side of the barrel and reciever when shooting corrosive ammo,i got a mini-30 in trade and boy was it rusted and pitted under neath the wood. the gas system allows the gases to go all over the under side of the rifle. ruger would not do a thing with it and i don,t blame them as it was just owner abuse. eastbank.