The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 16, 2015, 09:21 PM   #1
Idaho 45 Vaquero

Thompson Center Encore Accuracy

Howdy All,

Just might have added another gun to my wish list.

I just recently took a closer hard thinking at the Thompson Center Encore/ Thompson Contender. I don't know exactly what the particular difference is between these two models. But anyway, I have always dreamed of an extra accurate heavy barrel .257 Roberts or 6.5x55 Swede. Finding an old custom bolt gun in one of these calibers has always seemed out of my price range, and there are also a risk of a lot of old .257 Roberts guns that aren't very accurate. I've seen some nice heavy barrels made by Bergara and a few other companies in the $150-$350 range.

Also, I reckon there is a huge plus with the TC barrel interchangeability that I could get some other calibers later that I don't even know I want yet. Maybe some big bore calibers like .444 Marlin or 45-70, or even .300 Win Mag.

Are the TC single shots really as accurate as some claim? Reliably Sub MOA? Will changing to different calibers periodically like a big-bore hurt the accuracy of other calibers?
Old April 16, 2015, 10:05 PM   #2
stolivar

Yes

All of mine will shoot under an inch. Most will do .5 inch at 100.

steve
Old April 16, 2015, 11:23 PM   #3
tdoyka

my two tc encores have four barrels, all of them are MGM heavy factory barrels.
20 vartarg and 6.5 creedmoor both have 16 1/4" barrels
22-250ai has 27" barrel
444 marlin has 23" barrel
https://matchgrademachine.com/home.php

each of them shoot .1" - .6" at 100 yards
you don't have to worry about heavy calibers then switching to a lite caliber. my 444 marlin(deer season) goes to the 20 vartarg(groundhog) without changing accuracy. now you will have to zero your scope, but it will only take a few rounds to do.

i've been wanting a 257 bob ai in MGM for awhile now. but i have way too many irons in the fire now. i have four encore barrels, a 270 in ruger #1, 45-70 handi-rifle, and a 30-40 krag in '98 spr armory. i am planing on another one and if i take on the bob ai, i won't have time to hunt!
444 marlin

20 vartarg
Old April 17, 2015, 04:09 AM   #4
Snyper

Quote:
I don't know exactly what the particular difference is between these two models
Contenders are smaller, lighter, and chambered in less powerful cartridges

Encores can handle full size magnum rifle cartridges

It's rare to find one that won't do sub MOA in most chamberings, and there are barrels made in any most cartridge you can imagine.
Old April 17, 2015, 07:26 AM   #5
taylorce1

I like mine and currently have a .204 Ruger and .50 Caliber ML for it in factory barrels and a .300 AAC Blackout barrel from Bergara. I have had 7mm-08, .280 GNR, and .375 JDJ barrels in the past. My thing is don't buy an Encore thinking you're going to save money, as certain barrels cost as much as buying a decent bolt action rifle.

Tags
.257 roberts , 6.5x55 swedish , thompson center encore