The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old March 17, 2010, 11:45 AM   #51
thawntex

It seems that most posters suggest a safe that permits reasonable access to trusted adults. I can't argue with that. After careful deliberation I intend to order a Ft Knox Pistol Box, leave it locked, and give the code to my wife and parents. I'd rather not go into any more detail on my past method of storage, because it has been effective and I'd rather not discuss it any further. I'll simply repeat that I have locked up the handgun before. However, the kids will soon grow big enough to warrant an upgrade, and so it shall be.

I agree with the points regarding other household dangers. It helps to keep things in perspective. Trust me, it wears me out trying to keep my kids from hurting themselves. In a nutshell, I maintain a policy of close supervision. I can't store every dangerous item in an attic safe, but I can watch, intervene, and instruct if I see them coming close something dangerous. And let's face it: I can't be everywhere at once. In the real world, sometimes you just have to cross your fingers after taking every practical precaution. Either that, or encase them in bubble wrap and put them in an empty room (I might be on to something here).

Quote:
A firearm is your responsibility. Especially untrained "family".

You have to ask them if they want to go out to the range. If they do not the there is no reason to leave a firearm at reach.
I called an associate who owned a firearm lucky When the gun goes off and the bullet goes through the table, wall and lodges into the wall. His friend thought the firearm was unloaded. The friend put the round as described above.

I lost an uncle to Untrained stupidity.
My former spuse lost her brother to untrained stupidity.
I'm not sure why you put the word family in quotation marks, but I assure you that this conversation applies strictly to my mother and father. Don't tell anyone this, but even my in-laws are out of the question here.

When I was a kid our neighbors lost a teenage son to gun horseplay, so we have also witnessed this sort of tragedy first hand. We've never taken the matter lightly.

Folks, thanks so much for the advice. I called Mom yesterday, and we're going to hit the range next week. We're both excited. I hope that this thread stays open long enough for me to let y'all know how it goes.

Last edited by thawntex; March 17, 2010 at 12:59 PM.
Old March 17, 2010, 11:58 AM   #52
Evan Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward429451
It certainly does wether you all want it to or not. People have been conditioned by propaganda to believe this tripe.
So, you think it's "tripe" to maintain that it's a good idea for people to have shot a gun they might need for self defense? It's "tripe" to be concerned that a child might find, and be curious about, a gun that's hidden but not locked up?

Oy.

Quote:
Family safety begins with a secure enviroment
Very true. But if you think that leaving guns lying around where kids can find them is a good way to promote family safety...

Quote:
A child could die a 1000 different ways and you only want to keep them safe from guns?
No... people shouldn't send kids out to play in traffic, either. But this is a gun forum.

I don't see what government propaganda has to do with any of this, so I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thawntex
Folks, thanks so much for the advice. I called Mom yesterday, and we're going to hit the range next week. We're both excited. I hope that this thread stays open long enough for me to let y'all know how it goes.
Thawntex, that all sounds great. Have fun with your Mom at the range, and do tell us how it goes.
Old March 17, 2010, 02:17 PM   #53
Glenn E. Meyer

The OP has a reasonable plan and is happy with the advice. So thanks for posters who aided the OP.

Since the thread has veered into some negative vibes and the question is answered to the OP's satisfaction, time to say Goodnight, Gracie.

Closed.