The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 9, 2008, 12:46 PM   #1
bigpappa10mm

Blue or Red Lube

I'm about to order my first load of cast bullets and was told by a friend to only get ones lubed with blue lube but have found 90% of suppliers use red so I'm wondering if my friend knows what hes talking about
Old April 9, 2008, 03:28 PM   #2
SL1

There apparently are some significant differences in lubes. But, I am not sure that the color is going to be definitive. Anybody can dye anything.

I am aware of some data from LBT that shows THEIR blue lubes are superior to the Rooster Red lube and the NRA Alox/beeswax formula, giving reduced pressures at maximum loads in magnum revolvers and rifles. But I have not seen if there is any rebuttle from the Rooster Red people. Maybe that is what your friend is talking about.

I have used old RCBS green lube and the current LBT "soft" blue lube. The LBT seems to be better with respect to leading and pressure. But, I certainly have not exhausted the list of potential lube candidates.

SL1
Old April 9, 2008, 08:33 PM   #3
Zeek5793

First off what are you loading ???? Rifle or Pistol If you'r reloading Pistol mold your own and use Lee alox lube there is none better,, I have molded many and if you keep your vol. under 1200fps you'll do fine and save a lot of money , Check out Lee's web site. GOD Bless and Be Safe Zeek