The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 25, 2002, 05:20 PM   #1
MR.G

Cleaning really dirty barrels,

Does it hurt a stainless barrel to leave bore solvent, like Hoppes or Birchwood Casey, in it overnight to loosen the lead and copper ?
Old February 25, 2002, 07:48 PM   #2
kurt IA.

They say the ones with ammonia, should not be left in the bore more that 15 min. can cause pitting.
Old February 27, 2002, 06:19 PM   #3
Bogie

If it is REALLY dirty, I'd get some Butch's Bore Shine, and soak it overnight. Then use a benchrest bronze brush, and give it about 10-20 strokes (using a good bore guide), then patch it out with a few wet patches, then a few dry patches. Run ONE patch of Sweet's through, then follow in a couple-three minutes (NO MORE THAN 15 MINUTES for the Sweet's) with a couple of dry patches. If the dry patches show blue/green, you've still got copper in the barrel. Soak it down again, brush it some more, etc...

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old February 27, 2002, 11:29 PM   #4
Romulus

I normally shoot an economical, accurate, but very dirty sooty brand of ammo, Selier & Bellot. After going at the bore with Hoppes numbah nine to remove copper 'n stuff, the only thing that works for me (I think I've tried them all, shooters choice, pro-shot, miracle this and that) in removing the stubborn tarry gunk is guess what...a "Goop" style hand cleaner with a phosphor bronze brush...

Ti faccio vedere come muore un italiano
Old February 28, 2002, 02:22 AM   #5
Dfariswheel

Most of the standard bore solvents like Hoppes or Birchwood Casey won't harm a barrel if allowed to soak overnight.
Some of the super strong ammonia based might, but they usually warn you on the label not to allow to soak for long periods.

It's been common practice for many, many years to soak bore's for long periods. If there was any harm done, we would have heard about it some time ago.
Old March 15, 2002, 06:12 PM   #6
Johnny Quest

I asked an acquaintence who is a chemical engineer. He stated that ammonia is not corrosive for carbon steel or stainless steel. It is, however, tough on phosphor-bronze brushes & jags.

FWIW

JQ