The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 27, 2014, 01:26 AM   #1
GLOCK-21

moving from nyc to pennsylvania

Hi ladies and gentlemen: I have a question maybe someone will be able to help me out. I live in nyc and I have a valid premise handgun license with a couple of handguns on it and also have a rifle/shotgun license also have couple rifles and shotguns. Now I am planning to move to Pennsylvania in a couple of months I know once I become PA resident I don't need a pistol license unless I am planning to conceal carry but what do I need to do here in nyc do I have to notify 1 police plaza that I am moving or just head over to PA with my firearms. I would really appreciate your help thanks.
Old September 27, 2014, 04:51 AM   #2
mete

I don't know the legalities but I would , when I establish legal residence in PA, take all my guns to PA , then tell NYC. In any case once you establish PA residence you're NYC permit is no longer valid.
Old September 27, 2014, 07:42 AM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Three additional reasons to get a PA license to carry firearms (LTCF) as soon as possible:
  1. PA allows unlicensed open carry, but only outside your vehicle. Each time you get into your car, you'll have to unload and store the weapon and ammo.
  2. Philadelphia does not allow unlicensed open carry. If you may ever be in Philadelphia with a sidearm, you need the license.
  3. The open carry law does not offer you any relief from the GFSZA (Gun Free School Zone Act). To be able to carry within a school zone you need a license/permit issued by the state in which the school is located.
As far as PA is concerned, just haul your firearms to PA and close the door on the safe. PA does not have registration (although the state police maintain a database of all sales that have gone through FFLs, the courts in PA have ruled that it isn't a complete record and therefore it is not a "registration."

Dunno about NYC. I doubt there's any law saying you can't remove your firearms from NYC. Once that has been accomplished, I suppose you would notify whatever agency issues the permits that you have moved, and they'll cancel your permit.

Now would be a good time to join PAFOA ( http://forum.pafoa.org/ ).
Old September 27, 2014, 02:41 PM   #4
UncleEd

Glock 21,

As repressive as NYC may be, I still don't think police man the exit roads demanding, "Let me see your papers."

Pack and go.
Old September 28, 2014, 03:09 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

"...do I have to notify 1 police plaza..." Very much doubt you need their permission to move. Kind of suspect they'll be happy to see a firearm owner go elsewhere.
Old September 28, 2014, 04:16 PM   #6
ammo.crafter

Me, too.

I'll be moving to PA from NJ shortly and see no reason to notify police of same. You will be out of their jurisdiction/control and would have no obligation to them once your residence is not NY. Why look for problems? Enjoy PA!
Old September 28, 2014, 10:25 PM   #7
Nickel Plated

Technically you are supposed to notify the NYPD whenever you change addresses for the purpose of your license. But if you're moving out of the city and are no longer in their jurisdiction and not subject to their rules, I wouldn't bother.

They have known everything about you and your guns up to this point which is bad enough. No need to inform them any further. Just let the license expire, and try to imagine the confused look on the cop's faces when they got to your old house to confiscate your guns.

Maybe let the new residents there know that they should expect a visit from the NYPD in a couple of years.
Old September 29, 2014, 08:30 AM   #8
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Since an NYC premises permit would be useless in PA anyway, why not just mail it in to the NYPD with a note informing them that you have moved outside of NY state and wish to cancel the permit. No need to provide a new address. Don't mail it from PA -- drop it in a mail box on your last day in NYC.
Old September 29, 2014, 08:40 AM   #9
JWT

Congratulations! Great move!
Old September 29, 2014, 06:42 PM   #10
edfrompa

I moved from Jersey 40+ years ago, never looked back. It was the best move I ever made!!
Old September 29, 2014, 08:13 PM   #11
SauerGrapes

Come on over, the waters warm, the shooting is great. When you get your Pa DL, head to your county sheriff's office and get your ''LTCF''. Well worth the 20 some bucks for a 5 year license.

I wouldn't tell those jack wads in NY anything, just pack up and move.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old September 30, 2014, 06:26 PM   #12
Jack O'Conner

The very BEST deer hunting in Pennsylvania is during archery season.

Jack

Old October 3, 2014, 08:35 PM   #13
GLOCK-21

THANKS.

Thanks guys I really appreciate your help.
Old October 3, 2014, 10:32 PM   #14
G_P

If you mail the permit back, cut it in half or quarters first. No need to risk someone getting a hold of your permit and attempting to use it for nefarious purposes.