The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 21, 2013, 02:35 PM   #26
bikerbill

Others have said it, let me repeat it ... I occasionally choose a Smith 637 to carry, but it's a labor of love ... shooting a j-frame takes constant practice and tons of dry fire ... the reason I don't carry it all the time is because I have a Kahr PM9 which is so light and so easy to shoot accurately that it's hard to argue for the Smith ... plus it carries two extra rounds, or three with the extended mag, reloading is a second's work ... I love revolvers but if I have a choice, it's a semi every time for carry... incidently, you might add the Springfield XDs to the mix ... 6 rds of .45ACP, light and easy to shoot ... took my brand new XDs to the range today for the first time, was hitting in the 9 ring from the get-go, no failures, big bullet ... I think after I have it out a few more times, it will be my new EDC ...
Old January 21, 2013, 03:09 PM   #27
db4570

Quote:
You might take a look at a Bersa Thunder 380 "CC" model. It is a modified Bersa Thunder with a 3.25 inch barrel, very thin profile, reduced rear tang, smaller controls and integral low profile fixed sights designed as a concealed carry weapon. It has its own eight round magazine (not the regular 7 round Bersa magazine), alloy frame, and only weighs approximately 17.5 ounces with empty mag in place. It is still slightly, just slightly, larger than a PPK/S but much lighter. It is thinner than the PPK or PPK/S though the grip.
Hmmm..... Hmmm... Very interesting....

I looked at the Thunder CC, but didn't think it was much smaller than the regular Thunder. It was hard to tell, though, just looking at the picture and specs. I also assumed that the 8 rnd mag made the grip longer. Is that true? Now that NY has banned anything larger than 7 rnds (MFers), it's not an advantage to have the extra capacity, especially if it makes the gun bigger. I do like the idea of a trimmed beavertail. It being thinner than the PPK is an advantage. I didn't realize it was. I don't like that the mags are not interchangeable with the regular Thunder. But I will start giving it some serious thought.

How is that shortened hammer to cock?

David
Old January 21, 2013, 06:11 PM   #28
Laz

Quote:
How is that shortened hammer to cock?
You don't want to try thumb cocking the cc version. The hammer is too stubby. The pistol is slightly shorter than the regular thunder in spite of the increased mag capacity due more to a new magazine design than to a longer magazine. The eight round mag is primarily why it is slightly taller than the 7+1 PPK/S and certainly much taller than the 6+1 PPK. It is thinner than a PPK/S through the grip area but not so much, if any, through the slide.

I’m just a nobody, trying to tell everybody, about Somebody, who can save anybody.
Old January 21, 2013, 08:21 PM   #29
db4570

Man. Why can't Bersa make exactly the gun I WANT? (We all think this about for our Grail guns, right?)

I want the light weight alloy CC. I want the bobbed beaver CC. I want the shorter grip CC, but I want it even shorter, like with only 7 rounds, so it's automatically legal in NY (MFers). I want the shorter barrel CC.

But I want the sights and hammer from the regular Thunder 380. And the CC grips are a little ugly.

(Oh, and if it shot the hotter 9mm Mak like the Polish P-64, that would make it even more perfect.)

Right now it's kind of a toss-up. Is there that much real-world difference in carry size/weight/comfort/print between the regular Thunder 380 and the CC?

David
Old January 21, 2013, 11:37 PM   #30
Laz

Quote:
Is there that much real-world difference in carry size/weight/comfort/print between the regular Thunder 380 and the CC?
I don't think there is.

I’m just a nobody, trying to tell everybody, about Somebody, who can save anybody.
Old January 23, 2013, 03:14 PM   #31
jrothWA

Having carried both...

a J-frame and a M39-2 (classic and forerunner of the 3913).

I have had no problem with carrying either. Use either Bianchi #3 IWB or 2000 shoulder holster.

Best I can offer, good luck.
Old January 23, 2013, 11:40 PM   #32
shootniron

I regularly carry a 642 and have carried a Bersa Thunder 380 a considerable amount...I find them both to be excellent and easy to pocket carry.
Old January 24, 2013, 12:51 PM   #33
Sher Khan

+1 on the Bersa Thunder CC. My wife settled on it after many months of trial and testing. I liked it so much she got me one, too. It's larger than my LCP, but can be carried in a pocket holster. Suitably accurate and quite reliable.
Old January 24, 2013, 02:47 PM   #34
Thespis

I used to carry my S&W 3913 fairly often - right up until I got a Kahr PM9. They're obviously both 9 mm, but the Kahr is significantly smaller and lighter. Both are fine pistols and, at least in my experience, totally reliable. Just my 2¢ worth...
Old January 28, 2013, 12:34 PM   #35
db4570

So I decided on the Bersa Thunder CC, and found it at Bud's for a good price and ordered it. Only to get an email from Bud's later in the day that they aren't shipping any semi-auto handguns to NY until they get an accurate interpretation of the new laws. DANG!

The new NY laws (MFers) are finally pretty clear, with the state posting an FAQ that is pretty specific. The Thunder CC is well within the new law, but Bud's is being cautious until all the lawyers agree. Can't blame them, I guess.

In the meantime, I found a sweet S&W CS9 that should arrive at my FFL tomorrow. I hope it's small enough. I'm pretty psyched.

David
Old January 30, 2013, 06:14 PM   #36
michael t

All right I have carried the S&W 13 I like it a lot was easy to carry ISW I still carry my Model 49S&W snub as a pocket pistol sometimes.

On to the Bersa and PPK/S BersaThunder is slight larger than the PPK/S I can Pocket carry The PPK/S but not the Thunder Thunder has way better trigger than the PPK/S Both are accurate. CC will fit most pockets
Bersa CC and Bersa Thunder both have a firing pin block and can be carried safety off ready to fire , The DA trigger just like a revolver So I use only as a decocker .
As for the CC mags and the thunder mags . Factory say not to interchange. I have CC mags for my Thunder and they work perfect other have also tried. I THINK that came about because when CC 1st came out every one wanted the flat base 8 round. bersa a small company couldn't supply so said not to use.

If you want more info on Bersa come over to my home
http://bersachat.com and we will be glad to help you out.
Old January 30, 2013, 11:29 PM   #37
rcolgin

Kahr CW9

I've been carrying a CW9. It's light,thin and conceals well . Has a light recoil and not "snappish" at all. I keep it cleaned and oiled..runs like a sewing machine. Nary failures to date .. I like it !!
* IF you intend a lot of range time...I'd advise a thin grip cover...'cause the serrations on the back of the grip get a wee bit uncomfortable *
Old January 31, 2013, 12:17 AM   #38
Ambishot

PPK

I haven't heard too much about the PPK being particular on ammunition. I have, however, heard of walther bite. I have a few relatives who have been bitten and ended up selling their PPKs.

Have you thought about the FEG-PA63? It's slightly bigger than a PPK and has a similar decocker design as the beretta. Also, it shoots the 9x18 Makarov.
Old January 31, 2013, 12:46 AM   #39
edfrompa

The 3913 carries very well. And a very reliable firearm.
Old February 1, 2013, 12:45 AM   #40
db4570

Picked up my CS9 last night. It's really nice. Heavier than I expected. I figured heavier than my "J" frame 5 shot snubby. But today I hefted them both and the 9 is definitely lighter. It just feels top-heavy.

Need to find a good holster first. It came with a nice Desantis that unfortunately I need to send in for repair. The belt clip is missing. So I can't carry it for a while.

I still want to find a Thunder 380 CC to compare, and then decide which one to keep. Yeah, right. I'll probably end up with 'em both.

That FEG PA63 looks nice, but maybe a hair big. I have heard the FEG R61 is nice, and maybe smaller? But I don't see them anywhere.

David
Old February 3, 2013, 08:54 AM   #41
db4570

Found a new Bersa 380 Concealed Carry at a distant pawn shop that is shipping it to my local FFL. Probably paid a bit too much, but these things are scarce. Mags are virtually non-existent.

I really don't think I'll be able to decide which one I want for my ultimate CCW until I spend some quality time with both. Which means I'll next be searching for the perfect holsters for both.

Quote:
If you want more info on Bersa come over to my home
http://bersachat.com and we will be glad to help you out.
I have been there, and it looks like a great forum. I will be joining up, and undoubtedly hanging out there with a bunch of questions.

David
Old February 3, 2013, 04:36 PM   #42
K1500

You didn't ask about this one, but the easiest gun to shoot in that size class for me has been the Shield. Well worth the price.
Old February 4, 2013, 11:08 PM   #43
db4570

Isn't the Shield DAO without a safety? Two deal breakers for me.

David
Old February 5, 2013, 09:30 PM   #44
K1500

Shield is striker fired (S&W is nearly fully cocked) and it does have a thumb safety in addition the the passive safety devices.
Old February 7, 2013, 09:33 AM   #45
db4570

I didn't realize the Shield had a safety. I was picturing it more like the Ruger LCP. The safety is a different configuration than my Beretta, though. Not to mention that I just picked up a Smith CS9 and a Bersa 380 CC I need to compare and choose between.

David
Old February 7, 2013, 07:09 PM   #46
begemot

A 3913 Smith is a good choice. I carried a Ladysmith model for years and still do, on occasion.
Old February 12, 2013, 12:14 AM   #47
db4570

An update, for anyone who's interested.

The pawn shop sent me the wrong gun, I think in a deliberate bait-and-switch. They advertised the Bersa Thunder 380 Concealed Carry, I called and ordered it, being very specific that I wanted the CC model and not the regular one, and they shipped me the regular 380. I may have a local guy who wants the gun for what I paid for it, so hopefully I won't have to send it back.

It is a sweet gun, though. Just not enough smaller than the S&W CS9 that I also recently picked up. It's actually a little longer than the CS9, a little slimmer, and noticeably lighter. If they were the same caliber, I would probably pick it over the CS9. (I also think it's better looking.) But the CS9 shoots that full 9mm which is so much hotter than the 380. I may still keep my eyes open for a CC to see if it is much smaller than the non-CC, but I have a feeling it also won't be small enough to justify the smaller cartridge.

The CS9 is built like a tank. It's a bit top heavy, which makes the whole gun feel heavy. All its weight is in the top end; remove the slide, and the frame weighs nothing. I was amazed that my .38 5 shot snubby was heavier.

I don't like that I can't cock the hammer. This might have been a deal-breaker if I had realized it before I bought it. I can't believe I missed it. Now I'm starting to appreciate the gun, though, and think that replacing the hammer with one with a spur would be pretty easy. And I want different grips. The stock Hogue is plump and ugly.

Shooting impressions: none! My friend who's property I shoot at hasn't been available, so I haven't been able to even try the 9 yet. The 380 I won't shoot because I want to keep it brand new for return or sale.

I am waiting on two IWB holsters for the 9 to see how it carries and conceals. It's a little bigger than I had imagined, but hopefully when I start shooting and carrying it I will get more comfortable with it. I is a really neat gun with an enthusiastic cult following.

So thanks to everyone for their suggestions, and I'll report back with more about my experience looking for my perfect carry gun.

David
Old February 12, 2013, 08:21 AM   #48
Rainbow Demon

While I don't own the Bersa .380 a friend owns one (early production)and I've put a few magazines through it, so I know its feel and accuracy are well suited to concealed carry.

I've carried the Model 37 and liked it okay, though kick was like catching a linedrive without a glove. Mine was the 11 oz version with alloy cylinder so I sold it when I noticed two chambers were slightly swollen.
I keep a I frame .32 Handejector with 4 1/4" barrel as my carry revolver when not wearing a jacket, otherwise I carry the S&W Mod 59.
Old February 12, 2013, 08:48 AM   #49
Pharm

I think the CS9 you have is probably your best bet unless you're looking for an actual pocket pistol.