The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old August 5, 2012, 12:30 AM   #26
Ignition Override

madcratebuilder:
Was there really 8mm for .10/round a year ago?

I haven't used my Mauser in quite a while (the sights/my lack of skill), but I never saw surplus 8mm for less than about .25/rd. during the last two-three years.

Last edited by Ignition Override; August 7, 2012 at 02:24 AM.
Old August 12, 2012, 11:15 PM   #27
FairWarning

7.5 x 55 Swiss.....errr I mean, don't worry about that, I'm sure they'll make more GP11. In the meantime, I'll take all the old stuff.

8mm Mauser---I no longer shoot the corrosive rounds, but I have plenty in reserve should I need it. I concentrate more on the good quality, full spec Euro rounds such as S&B found online and eventually reloading. Norma and Nosler Custom are tops, but too expensive for my blood when S&B and Hornady perform so well....

The popularity of the super cheap Mosins and the corresponding 54R ammo will eventually drive prices up, so there's another one...
Old August 25, 2012, 02:52 AM   #28
Ignition Override

FairWarning:
An Italian guy at either Surplusrifle or Gunboards has a friend in Switzerland.

He stated just over a year ago that the Swiss govt. has huge quantities of the Gewehr Patronen 11 ammo stockpiled. As to how much could/would be exported, he did not say.

What is a shame is that surplus ammo for the milsurp rifles with aperture sights, such as Garands or Enfields has either vanished (into closets) or must be reloaded to be economical. The CMP's M2 Ball is about .50/rd. before shipping.
Old August 25, 2012, 07:55 AM   #29
rebs

I am stocking up on reloading supplies for all my caliber's.
Old August 26, 2012, 08:25 AM   #30
m&p45acp10+1

I shoot and reload for .30 Carbine, and for 7.62x54R.

PPU (Privi Patisan, AKA "Monarch") Is available for .30 Carbine in reloadable boxer primed brass. Price is comparable to .223 Rem. (About $22 for 50 round box.) Remington is a couple of dollars more per Box.

For the 7.62x54 R for me shooting in my rifle I mostly shoot the Spam can stuff. I reload for Mrs. M&P's rifle. As she has previous back and neck injuries. Shoulder wise recoil does not bother her. Though after a few rounds of surplus ammo her neck and back start to hurt, and it is time to go home.

I use Privi Partisan brass for her rifle. $16 and some change for 20 rounds loaded. The brass is reloadable, and has held up to more than 12 reloads without need for trimming. I load them with Trail Boss so pressure is very low, and recloil is a non factor. I have used .310 Hornady 125 grain SP, .311 Sierra Hot-Core, and Remington .308 110&115 grain FMJ. All have shot under 2 inch groups at 50 yards with iron sights from kneeling.
Old August 26, 2012, 10:28 AM   #31
TX Hunter

While we are talking about stocking up on Ammo, I was wondering if anyone has ever seen or heard of a Surplus 7.62x54R round not firing ?

I have not, and have shot quite a bit of it, the Russian Cartridges alwayse fire. Sure the ammo is dirty but its reliable.
I think it would be wise to put back a few tins of 7.62x54R and a couple of Mosin Nagant Rifles, or Carbines. Bang for the buck you just cant beat it.
Old August 26, 2012, 08:54 PM   #32
m&p45acp10+1

TX hunter the only time I have seen 7.62x54R fail to fire was from light primer strikes in a Dragunov. It was still packed in cosmoline as well. After the guy cleaned it with carb cleaner, and oiled it all the ammo went bang every time. I agree with picking up a couple of spam cans while they more affordable. The prices have kept creeping up due to its becoming more popular.
Old August 27, 2012, 08:05 AM   #33
madcratebuilder

Quote:
madcratebuilder:
Was there really 8mm for .10/round a year ago?

I haven't used my Mauser in quite a while (the sights/my lack of skill), but I never saw surplus 8mm for less than about .25/rd. during the last two-three years
Those 480rd tins cost $45-50 at gun shows not that long ago, six years or so??

It's been a good summer for finding ammo. 1K of .303 Brit in bandoleers on clips, came with a No5 package deal. Half case of .30 Carbine in bandoleers and clips. Did some swapping for 30.06 AP, straight swap with M2 ball. 2k of LC M193 at .30 rd.
Old September 2, 2012, 01:34 AM   #34
Ignition Override

You guys out there have a really nice network.

I've wondered for a while whether the lack of cheap .303 surplus causes lots of Enfield owners (who don't reload) to sell them.
Old September 3, 2012, 06:50 PM   #35
TX Hunter

Ignition Override,
The Cost of the .303 has turned mine into a Safe Queen.
I reload, but just havent got around to the Brittish Cartridge yet. The 8MM Mauser is my favorite to Hand Load.
Old September 5, 2012, 10:08 AM   #36
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by IO
I've wondered for a while whether the lack of cheap .303 surplus causes lots of Enfield owners (who don't reload) to sell them.
I think so. I also think it has negatively effected the prices of rifles.
Old September 7, 2012, 02:34 AM   #37
Ignition Override

TX Hunter:
Maybe you have a scope on your 8mm Mauser.

But if you don't, do you find the irons sights on the Enfield #4 or #5 much easier to use than the original sights on a Mauser such as my Yugo 48A or maybe a K-98 etc?

My 48A has not been used in a good while, and might remain an "Untouchable".
Old September 8, 2012, 11:07 AM   #38
TX Hunter

Ignition Override

My Mauser is not scoped, its a bone stock 24 47 Yugo With Bent down Bolt Handle from Samco Global Arms. Except that I added a Tall Front sight from Brownells, and painted the back of it white.
I raised the rear sight to 700 yards and am Dead on at 100. With my Handloads.
I like my Mauser Sight better than the Sights on my Einfield N#5.
The Enfield shoots way left, and I had to drift the front sight all the way over and epoxy it to keep it from falling out of the dove tail. The 300 yard appeture will put them in the dirt at 100 yards. I dont like having to raise the vernier sight to shoot. So I just stuck it in the safe and dont use it.
Old September 8, 2012, 12:57 PM   #39
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Anything you can get your hands on and afford.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--