The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 14, 2011, 11:36 PM   #1
kameron454ci

45 colt cost

wow i went to dick's sporting goods today $50 for a box of ultramax 45lc 255gr I'm glad I started reloading $50 pays for 1,000 primers and a pound of powder
Old February 15, 2011, 09:21 AM   #2
jmortimer

"I'm glad I started reloading"
You and me both. Once you get set up you start saving $$$.
Old February 15, 2011, 09:43 AM   #3
twobit

To me, reloading for my 45 Colt Peacemaker clone is almost as much fun as shooting it. I now have two loads for the gun;
*PLINKING LOAD: a 200 gr. RNFP hard cast with 6.5 grains of Trail boss.
*CARRY LOAD: a 250 gr. Speer Deep Curl JHP with 7.6 grains of Unique.
Old February 15, 2011, 09:55 AM   #4
Fiv3

Part of the reason I started shooting black powder was simply due to the fact that I wanted a .45 revolver, but I didn't NEED one. I don't have the time or space to reload ammo. However, I like the big ol' holes a .45 makes on paper. I didn't like the price of .45 Colt ammo for a gun that was primarily for fun.

Enter Holy Black Lotta smoke/flash/boom for very little cash. Now that I'm set up for casting, I'll only be out the cost of powder and caps which I can get locally (no hazmat charge).

I do plan on getting into reloading one day. I like shooting more calibers than 9mm and .22 However, for my needs these days, a couple hours with a melting pot is about all I can muster.
Old February 15, 2011, 10:16 AM   #5
Hardcase

Amen to that, fellas! It almost (almost) makes me reconsider my personal crusade against adding any new calibers to my collection! One of these days, I'll probably crack...I keep looking at those .45 Colt conversion cylinders...
Old February 15, 2011, 11:16 AM   #6
jcsturgeon

When they have it in stock Ultramax 250 gr round nose, flat points is about $34. Still pricey, but not too bad, same price for Blazers.
Old February 15, 2011, 11:34 AM   #7
c.robertson

WOW! Can't believe the prices these days. Even cast bullets are expensive. While it costs a lot to start, casting is a good alturnative IF you have a lead source and time. Mold blocks today are in the $70.00 range, sizer dies / top punch about $40.00, and press about $150.00. Then there is the melting pot, and several other items to round up the start-up cost to about $400.00 +. And that is for ONE bullet style. If lucky, you can find preowned molds at local gun shows for a lot less. I just bought 5 for $100.00 last week and 1,000 gas checks for $5.00.
Want to shoot cheap(er)? Check out casting.
Old February 16, 2011, 05:58 AM   #8
Raider2000

At least you can find .45 Colt, around here .44-40 is non existent so reloading is the only way for me.
Old February 16, 2011, 06:43 AM   #9
Hawg

C. Robertson try a Lee double cavity mold for about 24 bucks. They make just as good a bullet as anybody's. There's still a lot of reloading stuff on ebay too.
Old February 16, 2011, 07:02 AM   #10
DiscoRacing

With loading and casting.. .I can load a box of 50 rds for around 12 bucks.
Old February 16, 2011, 07:08 AM   #11
c.robertson

I have a couple Lee molds, they do 'OK,' but I really like the RCBS mold blocks. The Lee molds that I have were purchased new and more care has to be taken in closing them as they do not match up as securely as the RCBS & Lyman. A tap on the handle knuckle seats the blocks togather quite well though.
I like RCBS & Lyman even better when found at gun shows for $20.00 each.

DiscoRacing: I quickly calculated the cost of loading a box of .44 Mag. with home made cast bullets and come up wih about 1/2 of your cost. That is just for the powder, primer, x2 = about $6 or $7.00 per 50. (Brass was free, Lead 24 cents a pound.) I dumpster dive for brass.

Last edited by c.robertson; February 16, 2011 at 07:16 AM.
Old February 16, 2011, 07:35 AM   #12
kameron454ci

i dont mind buying OT lazer cast bullets i really dont feel like casting and lubeing every bullet
Old February 16, 2011, 07:37 AM   #13
Hawg

Quote:
The Lee molds that I have were purchased new and more care has to be taken in closing them as they do not match up as securely as the RCBS & Lyman.
I have several lee molds and don't have that problem. I just dump the cast bullets and clamp'em together. The only time I get away from Lee is when they don't have what I want.
Old February 16, 2011, 07:40 AM   #14
ammo.crafter

reloading

Been reloading for a VERY long time.

Besides the obvious savings, it is a great way to intoduce kids to the shooting sports. Reduced loads make the transition to center fire weapons so much easier.

I find reloading to be very relaxing, almost theraputic.
Old February 16, 2011, 10:22 AM   #15
Hardcase

Quote:
I have several lee molds and don't have that problem. I just dump the cast bullets and clamp'em together. The only time I get away from Lee is when they don't have what I want.
Ditto that, Hawg. The only thing that that the Lee molds seem to require that others don't is a bit more care in handling - they're not steel or iron, so they're easier to damage if you, for instance, drop them on a concrete patio .
Old February 16, 2011, 08:41 PM   #16
bedbugbilly

I knew there was a reason that I bought a New Vaquero in 357 so I could shoot 38s . . . .

On the serious side - when I was in the market for a "new fangled cartridge gun", I looked at some chambered in 45 . . . . until I looked at the price of the ammo. Not shooting in competition, I'm happy with the 357 but I still long for one in 45 . . . just seems like a person ought to have one!? I hope to be able to get set up in reloading this next summer - I've cast bullets for years so that part of it doesn't bother me. Maybe then, I could justify getting a 45 and dies to reload those as well . . until then, all I can do is drool when I see a 45 . . . . . .
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old February 17, 2011, 12:08 AM   #17
62coltnavy

Can't vouch for these guys, but their prices in BP pistols and 45 lc are hard to beat. http://www.floridagunworks.com/Merch...y_Code=A+PA+45
Old February 17, 2011, 01:20 AM   #18
arcticap

There have been warnings posted about buying black powder guns from Florida Gun Works. This post should serve as another.