The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 30, 2009, 01:51 PM   #1
jal5

Took a deer with Handi shotgun today

Took a mature doe with this 20 ga. Pardner shotgun by NEF/H&R for opening day gun season in Ohio. It rained all night and was raining pretty hard this morning as I got into the tripod stand but the fabric surrounding the seat and roof saved me! The doe and two yearlings came into the food plot just like they did all bow season, but the difference this time was the Handi spoke and the doe was done. Shot just behind the shoulder and went about 15 yds. Not a pass through so good thing she went right down, no blood trail either in the wet conditions. Bushnell Banner 1-4 scope. Shot was only about 25 yds.

Joe
Old November 30, 2009, 03:43 PM   #2
219er

Congrats on your deer. I always enjoy it when someone else uses a single shot. Rifle or shotgun. One year I killed 3 deer with my old Savage 219 in 30-30 and one with the Savage 220 in 16 ga. Gotta love those break open guns. Jim
Old November 30, 2009, 06:38 PM   #3
jal5

Yeah I love em. In addition to the ML (NEF/HR), I have this 20 ga. plus a 16ga. barrel for it, and another Handi rifle in 243 plus a 270 barrel for that one!

Beware the man with a single shot...he probably knows how to use it!
Old December 5, 2009, 12:56 PM   #4
BIGR

Congrats on your deer. I can understand the rain part. Its rained hard on me probably about 6 days of the season this year and its been tough. I would rather see 20 degrees and no rain myself, but we have to take what the good Lord gives us.
Old December 31, 2009, 10:37 PM   #5
RMcL

What slug load were you shooting?

Jal5

What slug load were you shooting? Sounds like a soft lead foster slug by the performance you described.
Old January 1, 2010, 01:35 AM   #6
treg

Congrats on your deer with a single shot!

Them Pardners are about the coolest shotguns in the world. Cost effective, tough and reliable - mine's put a lot of meat in the freezer.
Old January 1, 2010, 05:02 PM   #7
longrange08

I AGREE

i have one of there ultra slug hunters. that SOB cloverleafs at 100 yards i LOVE it little heavy but great for stand sitting and 4 seasons not lost a deer with it yet.
Old January 4, 2010, 09:14 PM   #8
Ryanfromcanada

What scope mount did you use? I got one of those guns not the slug hunter though
Old January 5, 2010, 03:52 PM   #9
jal5

RMcL-

used the basic Remington Slugger, foster type slug. Can't remember the weight off hand...partsheimers is starting I think! Part of the brain isn't working...

A low end Bushnell banner scope in 1x4 variable is on it and is plenty for the little gun. Very easy to carry, easy recoil too. This may be my standard slug gun from now on. I shot plenty of 12 ga. slugs over the years, a pain to sight in and practice with but this one is easy on you for practice too. And more practice always makes you more confident in the capabilities of the weapon and aware of your limitations too.

Joe
Old January 5, 2010, 04:04 PM   #10
smee78

You may want to look at Hornadys selection of slugs, 20 ga Slug 250 gr FTX, I've had good luck with there 12ga slugs in my Mossberg. Congrats on your deer!