The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 4, 2016, 03:17 PM   #1
bungiex88

Compressed loads

Reloading 308 with imr4064 and 168gr hornady amax. Now I reloaded 165 gr nosler with same powder and didn't notice it but I was making 3 rounds and working up to max to go out and test and when I got half way I notice the loads were becoming compressed to the point it was changing my seating depth a little. Is this normal. The only thing I changed from the nosler and hornady was I am now using lake city brass which I know is a little smaller. The suggested load for both bullets were the same of 4064 42 to 46 gr
Old March 4, 2016, 03:36 PM   #2
wpsdlrg

Differences in the length of the bullet used can cause this - I think that is what you are probably experiencing. Compare your (previously used and currently used) bullets for length - that will probably tell the tale.

As for whether it is "normal"....it just IS, with that combination. "Normal" it might or might not be, depending on your case volume. What you need to know is whether the load is SAFE. As long as you are NOT loading above the published data for that particular combination, or seating the bullet too deeply, the load should be safe.

Compressed loads can be tricky, however, depending on the amount of compression. It is most always a good idea, with a compressed load, to use a firm taper crimp on the finished cartridge, to ensure that the COL stays the same as you set it. If you are getting a lot of powder compression, such that the seated bullet does not want to stay in place.....I'd recommend going to a different bullet, or seating less deeply (if possible). As I said, compressed loads can be tricky. Your cases (with a bit smaller volume than others perhaps... combined with a long bullet, may just make for an impractical load) - though not necessarily unsafe. So, for practical reasons, you might need to change components.
Old March 4, 2016, 03:55 PM   #3
bungiex88

When I take them to the range and work up I'll check all my cases. I shoot through a chrony to to make sure it's good
Old March 4, 2016, 04:27 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

Hornady cases I've seen weigh around 155 grains or sometimes less. Lake City cases weigh close to 180 grains. If the brass and the head dimensions were identical, this would correspond to almost three grains difference in case water overflow capacity. Figure that will, in turn, correspond to about 1.8 to 2.0 grains less powder in the Lake City cases to reach the same peak pressure.

A better way to check this, since the portions of the brass in the heads and side walls differ and head tolerances differ, making a brass weight comparison inexact for determining capacity, is to measure the actual difference. You fire the cases in your chamber, since the case expands before pressure peaks, and therefore the as-fired size it what determines pressure. This is true in any gun firing at about 30,000 psi peak pressure or higher. Leave the spent primers in place. Trim them the cases to the same length. Weigh the empty cases. Fill the cases with water level with the case mouth. No meniscus, no drops on the outside, no air bubbles inside. Weight them again. Subtract the dry weights of the cases. That will give you weight of water that occupied each case. If the water was at room temperature, multiply the results by 0.997 to compensate for the fact water is a little less dense at room temperature than it is at it's most dense temperature (about 39°F).

The difference in those weights is what you want to know. The powder charge will differ by about 0.62 to about 0.72 grains for each grain of difference in powder capacity, depending on the powder. 4064 is less sensitive to charge weigh variations than some, so you can use the smaller number with it.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 4, 2016, 05:13 PM   #5
Gunplummer

I don't remember what I was reloading, but I tried a compressed load. I rarely crimp bullets and the bullets were backing out AFTER I was done loading them. That was the end of compressed loads for me.
Old March 5, 2016, 12:16 AM   #6
bungiex88

So should I not fire those rounds I made that were close to maximum load that I did load or should I just be careful when shooting and checking my velocity every time I step up and pressure signs

Last edited by bungiex88; March 5, 2016 at 01:02 AM.
Old March 5, 2016, 04:16 AM   #7
Gunplummer

Not sure what your complaint is here. In the OP, you were worried about seating depth. If the compressed loads are slowly pushing the bullet back out of the case, the bullet may be jammed into the rifling when you chamber it. Some of my bullets had Really backed out of the case. I pulled them and started over. Up to you.
Old March 5, 2016, 04:22 AM   #8
hartcreek

If I remember right 4064 is like short cut angel hair pasta. Did you tap your cases? Often this kinda long kernal powder will drop in the case with voids. When this happens I tap the side of the case to settle it a bit.
Old March 5, 2016, 08:17 AM   #9
flashhole

I use the flat on the metal shaft of a vibrating toothbrush to settle powder. Just run it up and down the side of the case a few times. You will be surprised how much it settles.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old March 5, 2016, 08:34 AM   #10
1100 tac

Or a drop tube.
Old March 5, 2016, 09:04 PM   #11
Gunplummer

They don't call it "Settled loads". It is compressed loads. Really.
Old March 5, 2016, 09:10 PM   #12
David R

Long drop tube works f or me.

David
Old March 5, 2016, 10:52 PM   #13
Ben Dover

Easy solution?

Switch to a spherical powder like H335, BL-C2, etc.

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.