The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old December 4, 2004, 08:32 AM   #1
John Ringo

Most Common Pistol In IDPA Shoots ???

What is the most common pistol used in the IDPA shoots?

"I like these calm little moments before the storm (Stansfield, The Professional)."
Old December 4, 2004, 05:52 PM   #2
DanV1317

Where i shoot, i'd have to say glocks. All calibers and all models. Few sigs, few springfields.
Old December 4, 2004, 08:16 PM   #3
Lycanthrope

1911's around here. They dominate ESP and CDP.
Old December 4, 2004, 09:11 PM   #4
Jim Watson

1911 and Glock.
Old December 5, 2004, 08:02 AM   #5
John Ringo

Yeah, I kind of sense from many of the members of my shooting club that the Glock tends to be the favorite 90% of the time. Some of the more seasoned folks shoot with the 1911s. I was wondering if this was just an Ohio-thing:-) But apparantly not.

Thanks for the feedback.

"I like these calm little moments before the storm (Stansfield, The Professional)."
Old January 8, 2005, 10:57 PM   #6
impact

Glocks and 1911s. Some Berettas and Sigs and one Hi power
Old January 10, 2005, 03:18 AM   #7
ampleworks

Glocks I would say dominate local matches because of the popularity and wide selection of models and a half-dozen different calibers to choose from.

Coming in second would be any flavor of 1911s, after that probably Sigs.
XDs are starting to appear but not like they would if not for the rediculous crap of them ESP rather than being classified in SSP - the same as a Glock.

I do have to rant here a bit. If a Glock 34 is considered a "service" pistol then why isn't a 4" XD the same? At least the XD is actually considered a service pistol. Even Glock calls the 34 a "tactical" or "competition" model.
Old January 10, 2005, 01:54 PM   #8
Old NFO

Northern Virginia Glocks, 1911's, S&W

SSP- mostly Glocks, a couple of Sigs and Berettas, CDP mostly 1911 versions, ESP- Glocks, some 1911's, revolvers are mostly various models of S&W .357
jim
intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Beer in one hand, pretzels in the other -- body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming - WOO HOO! What a ride!"

Illegitimi Non Carborundum
Old January 12, 2005, 01:53 PM   #9
oldschool

Looks like an even split 1911 to Glocks

Depends on the day, I currently shoot a 1911 but am buying a 9mm XD or Glock for when I'm too lazy to load .45's for a match.
I agree with the XD-> ESP, Glock->SSP issue but I shoot more than just IDPA so I'm leaning towards the XD.
I've seen; rugers, BHP's, revolvers, a sig or two but most matches usually boild down to 1911 or Glock with the Wilmington matches leaning slightly towards the 1911 just more people shooting CDP class.
Old January 24, 2005, 06:41 AM   #10
hube1236
Registration in progress

Mostly Glocks, then 1911's. At a few of the sanctioned matches I have been seeing more and more XD's. If I were to go back to the plastic gun, I would go XD- I like the feel of it.
Old February 1, 2005, 11:52 AM   #11
BJONES1471

I agree on the XD over the GLOCK for feel. I shoot my XD9 or Kimber 1911 Custom depends if I feel like a 9 or a 45. Love the XD though feel & firing, don't care for the glocks after firing them one after the other. The Glock is a Glock, the XD is the combo of the GLOCK frame with better feel and newer design technology and the sights from Sig. The best of 2 worlds, kinda a 2 in 1 package. Ok, all of you who love the Glock don't start the flaming. As I said the "best" of both worlds, the Glock was the shiznit until it had the compitition from the XD series. In all I prefer my Kimber over either, a tack driver everytime. Gotta love the 1911!
Old February 3, 2005, 03:13 PM   #12
DMSC

Quote:
I do have to rant here a bit. If a Glock 34 is considered a "service" pistol then why isn't a 4" XD the same? At least the XD is actually considered a service pistol. Even Glock calls the 34 a "tactical" or "competition" model.
It has to do with the way the trigger systems work on each gun...

On the Glocks, the striker is only partially reset by the recoil action of the slide. The striker is moved the remaining distance reward when the trigger is pulled to the rear to fire the gun.

The XD is SA because the striker is reset it's rear most position by the recoil action of the slide. The trigger does not move the striker to the rear when it is pulled. All the trigger does is release the striker.

I know, it's "picking nits" as my grandma used to say, but at least there is a reason for the XD being in ESP.

Oh, as for which pistol is most popular in IDPA, locally, we have a good mix with the most common being Glocks and 1911's.

I've run to SC state matches and the Glock was far and away the most used brand.
Old February 5, 2005, 06:13 PM   #13
Hammerhead

Glock 34/9mm far and away the most popular around here.
Old February 24, 2005, 05:52 PM   #14
maxinquaye

Heh, that explains a lot. Went to my first IDPA match a couple weeks ago and everyone kept asking what my CZ75 was
Old March 1, 2005, 02:18 AM   #15
chris in va

About that CZ, can it be used for IDPA? I barely know what it means but sounds very interesting by the description, especially since I carry concealed.

EDIT: I should mention it's the 75BD model, DA/SA.
Old March 1, 2005, 08:18 AM   #16
donkee

I use my CZ75BD Police in IDPA all the time........
Old March 8, 2005, 05:50 PM   #17
ethernectar

Would a Sig P220 be legal for IDPA? I've just recently found out that there's a range locally that hosts IDPA shoots monthly and am thinking about checking it out.

m
Old March 8, 2005, 08:25 PM   #18
Jim Watson

P220 is fine for IDPA, I know two local guys who shoot them.
It could enter in Stock Service Pistol vs Glocks or in Enhanced Service Pistol or Custom Defensive Pistol (depending on caliber) vs 1911s.
But don't worry about the small stuff, take your gun, three magazines, ammo, holster, magazine carrier, eye and ear protection, and a concealment garment and GO SHOOTING. All you have to do is pay attention and follow directions. Assuming you know how to operate and shoot your gun, this is competition, not training.
Old March 13, 2005, 11:21 PM   #19
azsilver

SIG P220ST is legal as IDPA SSP until Jan 2006 than only ESP

My SIG P220ST is legal for SSP until Jan 2006---after that it will be legal for ESP only as it is .80 oz too heavy for CPD. The other models of P220 are legal for all three classes as they are lighter.

With a P220 it is kind of hard to compete against a gun with a 10+1 round mag when all you have is a 8+1 and the time it takes to do more mag changes. But I am going to give it a try!

AZsilver
Old March 21, 2005, 12:09 PM   #20
ElusiveRR

how come nobody uses rugers in competition? because theyre so heavy?
Old March 21, 2005, 07:49 PM   #21
DT Guy

It's not the weight of the Rugers-it comes down, for many, to 'usable accuracy.'

While a Ruger is generally an accurate firearm, the trigger pull and ergonomics (at least of their auto pistols) make it difficult for many to shoot them well.

Not that some DON'T, not that YOU shouldn't try-just an observation.

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos
Old March 21, 2005, 10:32 PM   #22
ryucasta

Here in Southern California it tends to be Glocks in SSP, 1911 in CDP and S&W in Revolver. While all the other brands are represented by far those are the most common brands.

Raul

Scarface/Tony Montana Says:

Send me here. Send me there. This. That. Nothing you can do to me Harry, Castro didn’t do --- nothing...
Old March 30, 2005, 12:19 AM   #23
FallenPhoenix

the vast majority at our local range use XDs, much more than the Glocks. A few 1911s (me included until I get a Sig) but mostly the XD.
Old March 30, 2005, 08:05 AM   #24
Old Shooter

Glock seems to be the majority pistol at the two clubs I shoot at. I prefer the CZ 75B SA for shooting in ESP and I was using an STI for ESP and CDP. I just bought a CZ 97B to shoot for all three pistol divissions.

Last edited by Old Shooter; March 31, 2005 at 11:42 AM.