The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old February 15, 2005, 11:29 AM   #1
kend

Ray-Vin Or First-Strike Scope Stand?

I'm new to this service rifle stuff and I need a scope stand, I've been looking at both of these and would like information from anybody that has used either one. Specifically the good and bad points about both. Thanks.
Old February 15, 2005, 12:41 PM   #2
chefmossy

My .02

I have the Ray-Vin very well made and stable. Price not bad and Ray is a great guy. I also have one of there carts and the stand can mount to. Nice set up to carry all your stuff.
John DeMoss
Old February 15, 2005, 06:01 PM   #3
kend

Do the legs on the RV lock when you fold them down? I looked at the pics on his web site but couldn't tell from them, the FS stand has spring-loaded pins that lock in place. Thanks
Old February 15, 2005, 09:15 PM   #4
LegendF1

I really like my Ray-vin. The legs don't lock down in place, but they don't flop around in the breeze either. The quick detach option is pretty sweet too. I've heard a lot of good about First Strike's scope head, but no one around my parts has one I don't think anyways.

And I'll echo the sentiment, Ray's a damn good guy to deal with too.

Edited to add: Both Ray Brandes from Ray-vin and Anna from First Strike post on Nationalmatch.us, you might be able to find more info there.
Old February 24, 2005, 01:51 PM   #5
houndawg

The Ray-Vin legs don't lock, but they sit against a shelf that prevents them from moving when the stand is sitting on the ground. You pretty much have to see it to understand what I'm talking about. His stand and head are based on pure functional simplicity, with nothing fancy to go wrong. The engineering is genius and the machining is perfect . If Ray discovers a flaw with the design or an improvement he can make, he sends the upgrade to his customers.

I also like the fact that he designs his one-piece rod so you can store a Dewey cleaning rod inside it. The delrin cap on the stand is designed to act as a rod handle in place of the Dewey handle. You just change over the handles and you can drop the rod down into the scope stand. Now you're never without a cleaning rod at the range.