The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 25, 2016, 03:22 PM   #1
DukeConnor

I must be poor

I went to the range today.I brought a assortment of firearms that I consider nice guns. I brought a AR, a M1A, a Garand, old model 70, and some decent revolvers.
A few people show up and start unloading their trucks. 50 cal Barrets, supressed sig's, supressed full auto 45's with reflex sights, tactical,supressed, bolt actions (in calibers I never heard of) with schmidt and bender scopes, full auto SBR's, radar chronographs, spotting scopes that could probably see life on other planets etc....

One fellow's collection cost more than my silverado. I don't have one gun in flat dark earth. I felt so ashamed. Walnut and birch just doesn't cut it anymore.
Old September 25, 2016, 03:36 PM   #2
Pahoo

No one cares if you can't dance; So dance !!!

Quote:
I felt so ashamed. Walnut and birch just doesn't cut it anymore.
WOW, you need an attitude picker-upper. When I go to the range, it's not about show and tell. I really don't give a crap about other folks toys as I'm need to be focused on making my toys work better. I see these same guys at the range and they're happy I'm happy for them. .......

Now then, there have been very few times when one of these guys come over and start looking down their noses at my stuff and that is where the fun begins. I end most of those conversations with; "Have a nice day"

Enjoy and;
Be Safe !!!
Old September 25, 2016, 03:37 PM   #3
DukeConnor

I think if I can a good used RPG I will earn some range respect
Old September 25, 2016, 04:41 PM   #4
Indawind

Disposable income can buy a lot of cool toys. The real question is can they shoot or are just gun store commandos?
Old September 25, 2016, 04:46 PM   #5
Targa

I must be really poor....I don't have a M1 anything!! Appreciate what you have man.
Old September 25, 2016, 05:22 PM   #6
FITASC

And I would bet that if you walked over to those folks and made friends, they'd have let you try some of them just for grins and giggles.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 25, 2016, 05:39 PM   #7
Mike38

I have a NEF Handi Rifle in .223. Total cost in the entire set up, aftermarket stock and cheap Walmart scope is right around $400. I love setting up at the range right next to someone with multi thousand dollar rifles. With my reloads I can get just under 0.5 inch groups at 100 yards with my $400 rifle. I've had people mildly poke fun at this rifle, until they see the targets, then they turn quiet.

As long as you are enjoying your range session, it matters not what other people think or say.
Old September 25, 2016, 05:56 PM   #8
jbarbourtrim

Hey you have more than I do lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Old September 25, 2016, 06:01 PM   #9
Sgt Pepper

Duke, I know what you mean. You never know when you are going to be the idol or the peasant when you go to the range these days with such iron as you were carrying. The ante has been way upped on firearm toys in recent years and the classics are just not as exciting as they used to be - kind of like centerfold spreads...
Old September 25, 2016, 07:35 PM   #10
lockedcj7

The only thing that matters is how you shoot what you have. I see people all the time with million dollar homes and $80K cars. Many of those same people are in debt up to their eyeballs and just 2-3 pay checks from disaster.

Knowing that everything I own is paid for lets me sleep easy. I don't have the coolest stuff but some of my stuff is pretty cool and I have cash in reserve for more.
Old September 25, 2016, 08:15 PM   #11
Koda94

there is an old saying...

don't fear the man with many guns, fear the man with only one gun...
Old September 25, 2016, 08:20 PM   #12
lefteye

I "love" beautiful walnut bolt action rifle stocks. More to the point, synthetic stocks are more stable (relative to the effects of temperature and humidity) - so my Rem 870s (at least 3 of 5) have synthetic stocks as do my .270, 7mm Rem Mag and.300 Win Mag.

Last edited by lefteye; September 25, 2016 at 09:12 PM.
Old September 25, 2016, 08:32 PM   #13
larryh1108

I agree with the others. What impresses me the most is the guy with the tightest groups. THAT guy has it all, IMO.
Old September 25, 2016, 08:59 PM   #14
dakota.potts

There are lots of great things about the shooting world. I have shot with a friend whose entirely collection consisted of a battered 10-22, a Hi Point, and a Raven .25. I also have friends who have several thousand dollars in a precision bolt action. One of my most frequent range buddies and I like to go and shoot .22s and we both have very similar model CZ bolt actions we shoot. I like full auto and suppressors. I also like high end target rifles, antiques, production model pistols, ARs, AKs, and shooters with all types of equipment (cheap and expensive) that really know how to shoot it.
Old September 25, 2016, 09:25 PM   #15
shootniron

Quote:
As long as you are enjoying your range session, it matters not what other people think or say.
WHAT???

He did not say that anyone made any negative comment, to him.
Old September 25, 2016, 09:47 PM   #16
buck460XVR

Quote:
One fellow's collection cost more than my silverado. I don't have one gun in flat dark earth. I felt so ashamed. Walnut and birch just doesn't cut it anymore.
I always thought going to the range was about getting/staying proficient with one's firearms, regardless of what thy were, or how much they cost. The minute it becomes "keeping up with the Jones", that point seems to be lost.

Regardless of what you do in life, there will always be someone with better material things. Sometimes they have more money and sometimes not. I've seen folks pull into the range with the "donut" spare on their POS mini-van and pull out a coupla custom 1911s to shoot. Neighbor down the street buys a new Harley every two years, while his kids are on "free lunch" at school. Sometimes it's a priority thing. The minute you get caught up with feeling above or below others because of material things....you've lost. Enjoy what you have and shoot them with pride.

Last edited by buck460XVR; September 25, 2016 at 11:12 PM.
Old September 25, 2016, 09:58 PM   #17
Onward Allusion

Ya know, I think the OP is being a bit tongue-in-cheek. Personally, I don't go to the range to impress anyone with my toys. Nor do I get impressed with the toys or other shooters. It's about how I shoot not what I shoot. I must be an old curmudgeon.
Old September 25, 2016, 11:08 PM   #18
lefteye

Good points. I go to the range to test my hand-loads and zero my long guns. Although I may express interest in another shooter's firearms and/or loads, I rarely ask another shooter anything unless I feel the shooter will not be offended by the questions or the interruption.
Old September 25, 2016, 11:37 PM   #19
Machineguntony

Your guns are nice. That's all that counts.

Last edited by Machineguntony; September 25, 2016 at 11:55 PM.
Old September 26, 2016, 01:25 AM   #20
Old Bill Dibble

I must be poor too. Strangely other people having more expensive and nicer guns than me has no effect on my happiness. Toys are nice but; the love of a good woman, awesome kids and the daily satisfaction of trying to make the world a better place... these things are beyond all price.

If you want a gun in flat dark earth you can always use paint.
"Tragedy has been and will always be with us. Somewhere right now, evil people are planning evil things. All of us will do everything meaningful, everything we can do to prevent it, but each horrible act can’t become an axe for opportunists to cleave the very Bill of Rights that binds us."
Old September 26, 2016, 08:14 AM   #21
Don P

Quote:
I must be really poor....I don't have a M1 anything!! Appreciate what you have man.
Make room, I'm in the same boat. Most expensive guns I own are S&W 625 and a 686. I leave the Python out of the equation because I purchased it in 1981. Other than that all else is in the $500 range. As stated I'm thankful for each and everyone of them
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old September 26, 2016, 08:32 AM   #22
ATN082268

Don't worry about what other people are shooting and simply enjoy shooting the ones that you have. I suspect most gun enthusiasts have many more guns and a nicer overall collection than me but that doesn't bother me at all. The guns I like the most have sentimental value attached to them.
Old September 26, 2016, 09:13 AM   #23
Skans

I love to see everyone's cool range toys. If everyone just brought their AR's, AK's and Glocks, what fun would that be???
Old September 26, 2016, 09:25 AM   #24
SamNavy

I love going to the range with rich guys... they usually don't mind if you go through a magazine or three of THEIR AMMO because they love showing off their stuff! Plus I really get to sample some really good equipment and it helps me make more informed buying decisions instead of whatever latest gucci marketing strategy is out there to convince dudes that they'll shoot twice as good for thrice the investment. Don't get me wrong, I'm jealous as all hell at what they got... but one thing I notice about my rich buddy shooters, they always come alone.

So let's put things into perspective. When my wife shows up, takes a classic Weaver stance with her G42, and puts a whole mag through the 10 ring, it's THIER turn to stare and be jealous!
Old September 26, 2016, 09:34 AM   #25
g.willikers

No one is drooling over what I bring to the range, either.
Even worse, my offer to share is rarely even accepted.
Although most folks are too nice to actually show outright disdain after a glance at my stuff.
But I like my old clunks anyway, they have character.